OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season: Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
The only problem here is that they ran the best talent evaluator in the business out of the building which makes building through the draft slightly tougher.

Ummm...simmer down now. McG’s drafts were pretty damned weak. And there are tons of teams who draft well who have nothing to do with that guy.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Exactly.....Scot M’s influence and impact was hardly what some professed it to be.

Wasn't his success in Seattle under Pete Carroll? From what I've heard PC is a very, very intense person who takes elevation of a team's collective psyche very seriously. It's possible that SmC lucked into his success there by drafting some raw talent that PC was able to fit into a very favorable culture that was just starting to take off.

As I said before, these days I wonder if Smc is drafting "project" players because unconsciously he empathizes with them.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Pro sports doesn’t work the way some fans want it to. Only Cousins critics and scorned fans look at it as NFC championship or it’s a failure. Sure the Vikings want that, but billion $ businesses and those who run them don't think like that IMO. There are varying degrees of success beyond just the Championship. I know some fans don’t want to hear that, but that’s the reality.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Pro sports doesn’t work the way some fans want it to. Only Cousins critics and scorned fans look at it as NFC championship or it’s a failure. Sure the Vikings want that, but billion $ businesses and those who run them don't think like that IMO. There are varying degrees of success beyond just the Championship. I know some fans don’t want to hear that, but that’s the reality.

More "fan talk" dismissal? We've all heard owners, coaches, and players say similar things about their increased expectations in all sports.

I assure you the Vikings want more than gate receipts after all the times they've come close to a championship and failed. That goes for the fans, staff, players, etc. Players want to win. Most, anyway. That's how they get where they are. Not just business moves.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Of course they want it. I said as much but thanks for the long winded version of your own.

Doesn’t mean they won’t have experienced success on some levels if they don’t and the people in charge will recognize that when fans don’t.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Of course they want it. I said as much but thanks for the long winded version of your own.

Doesn’t mean they won’t have experienced success on some levels if they don’t and the people in charge will recognize that when fans don’t.

Falling short of goals is not "success". That perspective is not limited to fans. If anything the people who have a real stake are more likely to believe that and suffer the consequences.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

He is right.

The NFL has a serious problem with injuries resulting from players launching themselves and using their helmets as weapons. Players have been instructed to not tackle what they can't see (it's posted in every locker room) but they're not following the instructions. The only alternative is penalties and fines at this point.

Tackle with your shoulders and arms like the Seahawks do. It's a rugby tackle. The language of the rule may not be great at first but hopefully they get it dialed in after a while. Goodell has already stated this as a goal.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

"We've taken the necessary steps to get him right. He's had some procedure done on his toes and now it's just a matter of the rehab," Gruden said Tuesday in Orlando during NFL League Meetings.
"He's been working hard at it. He's been working on his upper body while his toes are recovering," the coach explained. "Hopefully we'll see a healthy, 100 percent Jordan by training camp."

Can't see how the team can go into this season expecting Reed to be a consistent contributor at this point. They need to address the TE position and consider any contribution from Reed a bonus.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Can't see how the team can go into this season expecting Reed to be a consistent contributor at this point. They need to address the TE position and consider any contribution from Reed a bonus.

I totally forgot that they drafted a TE last year (Jeremy Sprinkle). Hopefully he takes some steps forward this year.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Falling short of goals is not "success". That perspective is not limited to fans. If anything the people who have a real stake are more likely to believe that and suffer the consequences.

You clearly don’t understand the nuances of Pro sports/big business management. The Championship is just one of many business goals. And yes, you can fall short of the ultimate goal and still succeed in other areas in big business. That’s what these are...businesses with owners who would like to succeed and build value.

In past years I ran a group that did $20mil in revenue annually, but we were only a small part of a multi-billion $ company. The company’s ultimate goal each year was to get to number one in their industry. When that didn’t happen at first, it wasn’t seen as some colossal failure. When they eventually attained that goal, they waffled back and forth between 1/2 and still fluctuate because their competitors are strong, they also know what they’re doing, have good products and services and they’re run by equally smart and driven people. Sr Management didn’t look at those things as some huge negative, because there were other areas of success to be proud of. No business of that size sets one singular business objective and measures success or failure each year based that singular objective.

As a fan, yeah I get feeling like “if we don’t win, we failed”.....it’s just not how Billionaires and C-level execs think IMO.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You clearly don’t understand the nuances of Pro sports/big business management. The Championship is just one of many business goals. And yes, you can fall short of the ultimate goal and still succeed in other areas in big business. That’s what these are...businesses with owners who would like to succeed and build value.

In past years I ran a group that did $20mil in revenue annually, but we were only a small part of a multi-billion $ company. The company’s ultimate goal each year was to get to number one in their industry. When that didn’t happen at first, it wasn’t seen as some colossal failure. When they eventually attained that goal, they waffled back and forth between 1/2 and still fluctuate because their competitors are strong, they also know what they’re doing, have good products and services and they’re run by equally smart and driven people. Sr Management didn’t look at those things as some huge negative, because there were other areas of success to be proud of. No business of that size sets one singular business objective and measures success or failure each year based that singular objective.

I understand all of it perfectly, thanks. Pro sports is not the same as your typical business.

In the free market customers do not abandon you if you're not the best. There are tiers of quality and service based on price points, which themselves make up markets within markets. If your company can do well in just one of those markets you can thrive. People keep their jobs, maybe you expand, everyone's happy.

In professional sports you cannot keep telling your "customers" you're happy with a smaller market product when compared to the entire market (the league). You'll be left with only the diehards and those who follow the sport because you're the local option. So you sell hope and increased expectations to keep people interested and keep the dollars flowing in.

But none of this even matters since just about every reasonable and honest person in sports will tell you that when you climb to the next to the last rung on the ladder your next goal is to reach the top. It's not even really worth arguing about it's so obvious.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’ve talked to Leonsis, Patrick....there are other goals and there are always new fans to replace the ones who get pissy because they don’t have a ring. This isn’t a pro shop. Think bigger picture and you’ll be thinking more like a Billionaire owner.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I’ve talked to Leonsis, Patrick....there are other goals and there are always new fans to replace the ones who get pissy because they don’t have a ring. This isn’t a pro shop. Think bigger picture and you’ll be thinking more like a Billionaire owner.

I know there are other internal financial goals. Of course there are. Those don't matter in the context of the discussion, which is precisely what is the outside expectation for the team based on discussions with the press/fans/etc. I posted an article where the coach of the team was discussing standings expectations, not board room P&L sheets. You are the one who brought in the internal financial expectations when that was never even the issue.

So it's not just dismissive "fan talk". It's everyone BUT the guys in the back rooms. That includes the coaches and players. If it doesn't then you need new coaches and players who want to win.

btw, golf courses are multi-million dollar businesses. I've run several. I know how business works, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad