OT: Washington Redskins 2017 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
More to it than who a team loses in FA. Who they sign in FA factors in as well.

Oh I know. It’s going to be big money out. Little money on.

Cousins, Breeland, Murphy, Grant, Long, Paul all out (more?)

Richardson only one in.

What — 55m it so out? 8m in? Sure, more will happen, but Skins will get their fair share

Edit — Brown and Gallette will also be on the list. Not sure their costs

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
Not sure the Skins are in the value draft pick category when they just let 4 players from a good draft walk for nothing.

They kept the best player from that draft and moved on from the marginal rest once they were due to be overpaid. That’s how it’s done and works better if you draft better. If the Skins employ this method while drafting more and better players it’ll work out. If they draft duds it’s not like making up for it with high priced FAs will work any better. The key to organizational success is drafting well over successive years and having a coach and QB in place. This is a sign that the Redskins have finally at least identified the processs. Now it’s about becoming better at executing it.

Perhaps for another team I’d have a higher standard but when it comes to Ashburn at this point I’m happy with baby steps. At least they know they can’t plug all their holes in one offseason like they used to - especially this year since they are due to receive some serious comp pick considerations if they go light in FA. Sure perhaps the roster will be a little thinner but we’re not talking about amazing players taking a hike. These guys are very replaceable.

The smart plan is to key in on years 2-3 as far as competing with AS. This is a learning/building year. Might as well get younger and cheaper in the process, identify who’s buying in with the Gruden/Smith combo and then make bolder steps once you’re a little bit closer to contention.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
3 of the 4 they could of extended last year for less than what they just signed for. And these 4 are good players who leave holes to fill. So now instead of needing to fill holes at outside CB, ILB, D line, Safety and RB they now add WR, OLB, nickel CB and O-line to the list of holes to fill. Then there is the whole “they don’t covet their home grown players” narrative that is taking shape.

Right now I fail to see what is happening as a positive. It’s the opposite extreme from the Cousin Vinny days. Piss away good players you drafted and go dumpster diving for cast off FAs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corby78

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
A couple of old paintings depicting hockey in the Toronto.
One from 1835 the other from 1852-53.

full
Painting_of_the_steamship_Chief_Justice_Robinson_landing_passenger_on_the_ice_off_Toronto_in_1852.jpg

The First ever organized Hockey game at Toronto took place on February 16th, 1888 in the Caledonian Rink between the Granites and the Caledonian clubs resulting in a 4-1 win for the Granites.
Remembering the First Organized Hockey Game in Toronto: February 16: Snapshots in History

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Fabulous old litho's & interesting links James... Thanks for sharing, posting these.... I remember the Granite Club in Toronto, located in the Yonge & St. Clair area, then in the early 70's moving north a bit to Bayview Avenue, between Lawrence & Bayview not far from where I grew up & went to school, remember it being built. Very much an upper middle class / upper class "by invitation only" establishment even back 125yrs ago, the players on their sponsored hockey teams all the sons of wealthy scions, Captains of Industry & Law Firms, Bankers & so on....

I recognize a few names in a couple of those old photos you posted earlier & at least a couple (if not more) went on to cut quite the swaths in legal, financial & political circles. Those were the sons of the wealthy & powerful, the landed gentry, as were many in the photo of the Osgoode Hockey Team, Osgoode Hall the preeminent law school in Canada then (along with McGill) as now. Those photo's tell one much of hockeys early years, that it was a "gentlemans game" played primarily by the sons of the wealthy, at private schools, universities.... and huge resistance to the "corruption of the game" that professionalism represented to those who oversaw the sport in Toronto during its formative years.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
How Kirk Cousins turned Washington against him

Cousins would prefer people forget his role in leaving the Redskins, which was more pronounced than anyone thought. In his farewell letter to D.C., he wrote:
"As I'm about to make one of the bigger decisions of my life, I'll be saying goodbye to my familiar life as a Redskin. After calling Washington home for the past six years, the team has decided to move on to another option and, in turn, my family and I will be moving on as well."
That's a disingenuousness rarely seen outside Bruce Allen press conferences.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Pretty telling the players don't like being here

Only 3 of those players were any good. Of the 3 one was resigned, one was replaced by a better player, and then the 3rd just walked for a big payday because the coaching staff didn't like him.

Trent Murphy and Ryan Grant were WAAAAY overpaid. I mean Jesus, Grant got almost 8 million a year and he's only got 986 and 6 touchdown to his name in 4 years.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Only 3 of those players were any good. Of the 3 one was resigned, one was replaced by a better player, and then the 3rd just walked for a big payday because the coaching staff didn't like him.

Trent Murphy and Ryan Grant were WAAAAY overpaid. I mean Jesus, Grant got almost 8 million a year and he's only got 986 and 6 touchdown to his name in 4 years.

I can’t follow who you are talking about in your 1st paragraph but Murphy and Grant could of been resigned for a lot less than what they just got in FA.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
How Kirk Cousins turned Washington against him

Cousins would prefer people forget his role in leaving the Redskins, which was more pronounced than anyone thought. In his farewell letter to D.C., he wrote:
"As I'm about to make one of the bigger decisions of my life, I'll be saying goodbye to my familiar life as a Redskin. After calling Washington home for the past six years, the team has decided to move on to another option and, in turn, my family and I will be moving on as well."
That's a disingenuousness rarely seen outside Bruce Allen press conferences.

tumblr_o12szlRLyf1rqe0rbo1_540.gif

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Heh, watching NFL free agent frenzy on NFL Network. They’re talking positively about how the new Browns management are “football guys”. The previous guys were not, one was a lawyer, one a baseball analytics guys. Can’t help but think of past conversations with Twabby about that subject...

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
So has the Alex Smith deal aged a little better with folks? I know most initial reactions were negative but things seem to have settled down and having watched the free agency circus maybe it doesn't look so bad.

IMO it's obviously not great. Should have signed Cousins two years ago for $20M per. That said, I think Cousins is overrated and the Vikings are going to find out the hard way that he is good but not great. They also were saying how much they appreciated the stability he would bring but it's only a 3 year contract. Apparently others were offering Cousins 3 years as well. I don't get it. Why not 6 if stability is what you are after?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So has the Alex Smith deal aged a little better with folks? I know most initial reactions were negative but things seem to have settled down and having watched the free agency circus maybe it doesn't look so bad.

IMO it's obviously not great. Should have signed Cousins two years ago for $20M per. That said, I think Cousins is overrated and the Vikings are going to find out the hard way that he is good but not great. They also were saying how much they appreciated the stability he would bring but it's only a 3 year contract. Apparently others were offering Cousins 3 years as well. I don't get it. Why not 6 if stability is what you are after?

Cousins wanted the 3 years to be an UFA again at 32.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

I do not understand this. Why would the Skins have interest in a 32 year old center when they just let a 27 year old center they drafted walk in FA and they have a 24 year old center going into his 2nd year in the league that was used as a reason why they let the 27 year old walk as a FA?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Clearly they didn't want to resign them and thats the problem.

]

Is there really a single loss to pine over? I think you’re simply taking this as they’ve weakened the team, which they have done short-term, but let’s see the replacements first.

Allen’s office looks smaller than the coach’s on the last hard knocks I saw. ;)

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I can’t follow who you are talking about in your 1st paragraph but Murphy and Grant could of been resigned for a lot less than what they just got in FA.

They were both completely replaceable JAGS.

Trent Murphy was a guy who couldn't shed a block, couldn't beat anyone to save his life, and a complete waste of a pick...untill he got popped for PED's and had a good season due to it. Ryan Grant is a guy who doesn't even have 1k yards in his career, and was only shown as much playing time as he did because Gruden was infatuated with him (think a worse Josh Wilson with Shanahan). He just signed for almost as much as our new wr Paul Richardson.

They got big deals but they weren't worth it, at all.

Reactions: RandyHolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->