Washington NUmber 1 goalie of the future

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Aside from a few clip I Haven't seen much of Him but I'd like to ear from those who have seen him more often. How good is Semen Varlamov and how do you see him in the future?

Do you expect Neuvirth to challenge him in the future for number 1 (if he makes it there)

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
I've seen exactly one clip of him and he looked pretty good. I think Neuvirth has the inside track being in NA right now, but wo knows. Kolzig has two years (including this season) on his current contract. At the end of that contract he will probably sign one more, and then retire. So thats about 4 years for Neuvirth and Varlamov to be groomed to take over. Of course in the meantime, we have Diagneault and Machesney, and Mrazek in college, who I guess are going to be your backup types or number one goalies, while varlamov and Neuvirth seem like elite or name recognizable goalies.

I'm not really familiar on how to bring a rookie goalie in, but with Kolzig its not like we can really wean him off to a backup position until he retires.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Aside from a few clip I Haven't seen much of Him but I'd like to ear from those who have seen him more often. How good is Semen Varlamov and how do you see him in the future?

Do you expect Neuvirth to challenge him in the future for number 1 (if he makes it there)

Last I heard Neuvirth didn't impress and Varlamov was playing in the RSL- which is very rare for a young keeper.

Oodles of potential, improving positioning.

I'd be curious to see where he would have gone had he not been from Russia.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Brent Johnson is the heir to the throne, though only because it will take Varlamov and Neuvirth a while to develop. I think Varlamov has the edge though. If Johnson has his head on straight and stays in shape, he's a capable No. 1 goalie. He played well in St. Louis for the two seasons he was No. 1 goalie, IMHO.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Last I heard Neuvirth didn't impress and Varlamov was playing in the RSL- which is very rare for a young keeper.

Just curious, where did you hear that about Neuvirth? Neuvirth had pretty good outings during the Caps summer dev camp (once he had equipment) and training camp. Sounds like he a rough time in his first start for Plymouth, but other than that, I have heard good reviews. I was very impressed by his poise and positioning while facing established NHL vets during a training camp scrimmage and he is quick with his glovehand, too.

Neuvirth (18 but looks 12 :) ) and Varlamov (18) are both so young, but if I had to guess, Varlamov based on reviews by Russian posters, etc., and his already getting a start in the RSL at 18. Right now though, it sounds like both are on the right development track. Still, so hard to know with young prospects, let alone with young goalies.

If one of the young guys is not ready when Kolzig retires or cuts back his starts, they could pick someone up for a year or two if there is a gap year and the young goalies are still on track. I think Johnson sticks around another year and possibly longer if he plays like he did the end of last season and his relationship with Kolzig continues to go so well.

other goalies in the system:

I like what I have seen from and read about Machesney (19), who is playing for the Stingrays (ECHL). Daigneault is only 22, but I think this is a huge season for him in relation to his future with the Caps. He has to have a solid year in Hershey behind Cassivi, IMO. If Machesney has a strong season in SC, he could be ready to split time in the AHL next season; could even see some call-ups this season depending on Daigneault's play (and goalie injuries, etc.). edit: My guess is Mrazek never gets signed by the Caps.

edit:typos

Last edited:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006

RSL?? he has one game in hes career. and that was this season. i wouldnt call him a RSL goalie yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad