Washington gains small measure of revenge against the Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Chang-Sang

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Washington gained a small measure of revenge last night as they defeated the Dallas Stars 3-2. Earlier this season, the Stars had defeated the Caps by the same score despite being outshot 39 to 14. Radim Vrbata scored the winner with just under three minutes to play to save the day.

The retooled Caps have quietly had a relatively strong start to the year despite trading away superstars Mario Lemieux, Teemu Selanne, Ed Belfour and Michael Peca. In fact, throwing out the aforementioned loss to the Stars and the complete meltdown against the Lightning where they blew a 3-0 lead going into the third period, the Capitals would be sitting at 7 and 1.

GM Chang-Sang had this to say on his team,

"The goals of management this year were to get younger, cheaper while remaining competitive. I think we've achieved those goals. We are well under the salary cap and I like the balance of youth and experience on our team. While we certainly don't have the quantity of brand name players as in years past, I believe this team is still a competitive one that will cause alot of headaches for the supposed powerhouses like Ottawa and Boston. Actually, bringing that up, my Caps have never really received the recognition of being a perennial contender in the East. We were in the Cup finals just a couple of years ago and have been battling Ottawa for top spot over the past couple of years."

On the trade front,

"We have it no secret that we would like to add another playmaking/scoring centre and a scoring LW. The moves made in the offseason have given us the flexibility within the salary cap to add these players as the season progresses as well as to explore locking up some of our upcoming free agents. The phones have been quiet recently but we'll see what shakes out as we go along."

Dale Hunter
The Washington Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->