Washington Capitals Trade History: Best and Worst Trades of All-Time

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I'd much rather skate against Forsberg than Stevens. And I'd take Stevens as a teammate over Forsberg every time.
Stevens was one of the reasons the Caps made the playoffs for the first time in franchise history, he was 18yrs old and immediately became both feared and respected. He quickly matured, learning to pick his shots and that he was more valuable on the ice than in the box.
Forsberg is talented, and that trade was terrible, but losing Stevens was far worse.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Has Scott said anything about Washington since he left?
"We had a great bunch of guys and we worked hard. We were great defensively. We might have been at times a little challenged scoring and we might have been challenged in the goal at times...But there were no regrets" from wiki. How long after his time in WSH he said that, not sure.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Weren't Witt and Gonchar whooped out of town? Only us...

I thought we got Kolzig with one of the picks, whoops.

Last edited:

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Dino was a surprise trade and worked for a bit. Trading him to Detroit was one of the worst Caps trades. As much as I hate to admit it, trading Iafrate for Juneau was a win due to Al's injuries and Juneau lasted a few years and helped in the 1998 run. To me, it ultimately comes down to not trades rather not paying Stevens or making no trades. Before Selanne was traded to Anaheim, there was a lot of rumors about Caps being interested in him. Years later when Selanne was traded to San Jose I had emailed GMGM prior about if the Caps would be after him. GMGM replied back, "that player isn't available". A few days later Selanne was traded to San Jose :). Bondra and Selanne on the same team would have been one sick combo.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Weren't Witt and Gonchar whooped out of town? Only us...

I thought we got Kolzig with one of this picks, whoops.
Witt holding out screwed us, but it screwed himself more. He couldn't play anywhere here professionally, and I'm pretty sure he couldn't practice anywhere either. To lose an entire year of development and playing was a major gaffe on his part. He played 3 games in England before returning home (a fire at his house).

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Dino for Kevin Miller was bad, Miller for Cavallini was worse. Cavallini for Ciccone...ugh. At least somehow WSH stole Reekie from Tampa for Enrico. Just alot of downgrading.
Caps were really high on Dave Manson, and were prepared to surrender multiple picks to acquire him, ( at the '92 draft) kinda glad it never happened.
Surprised nobody brought up the Brouwer-Oshie trade.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Scott Stevens wasn't traded, so it's really a moot discussion. Further still, it was off-ice reasons that led to him leaving the franchise. It wasn't a "hockey decision." Abe Polin wasn't about to make Scott Stevens the highest paid defensemen in NHL history, and it would have been PR suicide to do so after the limo incident. Stevens' contract ended up leading to the ballooning salaries that led to the 1994-95 lockout.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Dino for Kevin Miller was bad, Miller for Cavallini was worse. Cavallini for Ciccone...ugh. At least somehow WSH stole Reekie from Tampa for Enrico. Just alot of downgrading.
Caps were really high on Dave Manson, and were prepared to surrender multiple picks to acquire him, ( at the '92 draft) kinda glad it never happened.

Yeah, the trade for Oshie was good. We have gotten a lot more out of Oshie than TB had left.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Trade for Oshie was great, but I don't think it's a historically great trade that people will talk about in 10+ years. His performance on this current contract will be a big factor in how he (and the trade) are remembered.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Filip Forsberg is only 23 and was an alternate captain and big contributor on a Cup finalist last season. I'm just saying if you measure the trajectory I'd probably take Forsberg over Stevens, I understand how ridiculous that sounds but I think his ceiling is so high.

That's a baffling opinion to me. Stevens is an easy HOFer and major contributor to a multiple Cup winning team. Forsberg looks like he's going to top out as a very good but not elite 1W. And forwards tend to peak much earlier than D, so I have no reason to think FF's ceiling is much higher than where he's at now.

I'm not defending the Erat trade debacle, just saying FF isn't in SS's league.

Reactions: calicapsfan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Scott Stevens wasn't traded, so it's really a moot discussion. Further still, it was off-ice reasons that led to him leaving the franchise. It wasn't a "hockey decision." Abe Polin wasn't about to make Scott Stevens the highest paid defensemen in NHL history, and it would have been PR suicide to do so after the limo incident. Stevens' contract ended up leading to the ballooning salaries that led to the 1994-95 lockout.

CCF (the other) put a disclaimer in the first mention of Stevens, but glad to see the correction squad is back. ;)

Bottom line IMO, Abe was just being cost conscious (and holier than thou), but those were his rights as owner I guess.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The trade I disliked the most was when we got Hunter and Malarchuck and gave up Haworth, Dushene and a 1st round pick which ended up being Joe Sakic.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It got us out of the first round, at least that is the narrative. But I find solace in knowing Sakic'd would have probably been Jason Allison'd and get a cup of coffee on 4 before the jettison.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We got unlucky they drafted a great HOFer....otherwise that trade was an immediate win for the Caps in the players traded portion.

Caps keep that pick and they probably draft the next Yvon Corriveau....

Reactions: RandyHolt

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

As a huge Manson fan back then who watched him pretty much carry the Oilers blueline in the 92 playoffs, I was so hoping Poile would get him. He ended up in Winnipeg and dropped off fast unfortunately.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It got us out of the first round, at least that is the narrative. But I find solace in knowing Sakic'd would have probably been Jason Allison'd and get a cup of coffee on 4 before the jettison.
My problem with that deal wasn't just missing out on Sakic. I hated Hunter when he played for the Nordiques. Thought he was a player that crossed the line. He started growing on me when he playing but then the Sturgeon incident happened and I lost any respect I had for the guy. Most embarrassing moment in Caps history and we retired his fricken number

Reactions: um

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
To each his own. It's all a part of what we call hockey. It was a testament to his passion for the game, and his hatred for losing. At least it was a shoulder check, vs a cross check or high stick to the head. Hockey used to be a brutal sport, and players sometimes lost control.

Kunitz crosschecking Varly in the jaw/head/neck was not even discussed in the main stream media. It was a sore loser late game thing, just like Dale's. He didn't even get a penalty. Dale being a villain already, there was no escape.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
To each his own. It's all a part of what we call hockey. It was a testament to his passion for the game, and his hatred for losing. At least it was a shoulder check, vs a cross check or high stick to the head. Hockey used to be a brutal sport, and players sometimes lost control.

Kunitz crosschecking Varly in the jaw/head/neck was not even discussed in the main stream media. It was a sore loser late game thing, just like Dale's. He didn't even get a penalty. Dale being a villain already, there was no escape.
Why bare you bringing up Kunitz? Is that your defense for Hunter being an embarrassment? Kunitz was never a Cap so why are you discussing him.
If you have a man crush on Hunter, good for you but the fact is he was a dirty player that crossed the line at times while he was a Cap and before he got here.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Why bare you bringing up Kunitz? Is that your defense for Hunter being an embarrassment? Kunitz was never a Cap so why are you discussing him.
If you have a man crush on Hunter, good for you but the fact is he was a dirty player that crossed the line at times while he was a Cap and before he got here.
giphy.gif

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It must have really burned your britches to see him brought back as a head coach. Somewhere along the way some set an unreal expectation on players, that they all play like saints. Hockey is a violent game and we see a lot of f***ed up stuff happen. Jugs cut with skates, cross checks in the face, spears to the nuts, pucks to the face, dangling fingers, teeth on the ice, you name it we have seen it. My first game in person saw Tiger Williams crosscheck and break his stick on the back of Randy Holts neck.

I suspect PT had a separated shoulder previously and Dale just popped it out again. Call it the Eric Fehr Factor. We have seen unsuspecting players get demolished which are called a deuce for interference, pretty much every year. Some get even away with it #Steckel. I know, how bare I bring up his name.

I bare, because I am a nudist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->