GDT: Washington Capitals @ Calgary Flames, 19:00 MT (SN360)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't think Frolik is ghosting at all. He's never been a consistent offensive player, but he consistently makes good plays which help the team.

Reactions: Cyrano

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
I don't think Frolik is ghosting at all. He's never been a consistent offensive player, but he consistently makes good plays which help the team.

Frolik might honestly be the most consistent offensive player in the NHL in terms of annual production.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Can't believe we actually won a game :laugh: a nice little surprise after work.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He's got good offensive instincts and he's decently skilled. I'd say he does a better job than most of the team (outside of the top handful) at getting the puck into dangerous areas in unpredictable ways.

I do not like him on the PP....especially at the point. He has no shot.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Frolik might honestly be the most consistent offensive player in the NHL in terms of annual production.
Yes, but that isn't what I meant.

He'll get his points by the end of the year. But he isn't a guy who puts up a PPG, so the expectation shouldn't be that he gets a point every game. He's still doing the little things that make him effective.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
It is very nice that the Flames won but why is Sam Bennett not scoring goals or getting points? This is really depressing.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
It is very nice that the Flames won but why is Sam Bennett not scoring goals or getting points? This is really depressing.
He's getting more chances on the wing, but just not converting. Had a couple good chances last night to pot one. I'm almost just as concerned at Jankowski not having a point yet. Guy is a legit NHLer

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
He's getting more chances on the wing, but just not converting. Had a couple good chances last night to pot one. I'm almost just as concerned at Jankowski not having a point yet. Guy is a legit NHLer

I am not too surprised that Jankowski doesn't have a point as I don't see much offensive talent from Jankowski out there. He isn't a great passer, certainly can't beat guys one on one and hasn't shown that he has much of a shot. With Bennett at least you can see the raw skills there that should lead to scoring, Jankowski nope.

It is still early but I think if Jankowski's name was Freddie Hamilton he would be taking a lot more heat. He has been ok at best and likely worse than that. The line isn't getting hemmed in all the time but they rarely create anything and he loses the puck so easy it is getting pretty frustrating.

Watching him out there and it is just so blah, which is ok for a bottom 6 guy trying to carve out a spot but doesn't really bode well for him turning out to be much in the future unless he can really start to improve. There will be a big uproar if he is sent down but I don't think he has done anything to make it so that Treliving has to keep him up.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
There's going to be an adjustment period for Jankowski, like literally every other player. Expecting him to hit his ceiling after 3 games in the NHL is so far from realistic it's not even funny.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The thing that really stands out with Janko is he can get that step around the outside of defencemen and hold the puck away from them with his reach. It's very intriguing to see what he can become, because he has physical tools that you can't teach, allowing him to use power moves like that effectively. He has a very confident way of playing, too. He's not afraid to try to beat guys at the NHL level. I also like his release. He got a few very quick shots away from dangerous areas last night.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
There's going to be an adjustment period for Jankowski, like literally every other player. Expecting him to hit his ceiling after 3 games in the NHL is so far from realistic it's not even funny.

Who is expecting him to hit his ceiling?

I was talking about watching him play and he doesn't show signs of having a lot of natural offensive ability. I don't think it is too early to see how he plays and make assessments of it.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I am not too surprised that Jankowski doesn't have a point as I don't see much offensive talent from Jankowski out there. He isn't a great passer, certainly can't beat guys one on one and hasn't shown that he has much of a shot. With Bennett at least you can see the raw skills there that should lead to scoring, Jankowski nope.

It is still early but I think if Jankowski's name was Freddie Hamilton he would be taking a lot more heat. He has been ok at best and likely worse than that. The line isn't getting hemmed in all the time but they rarely create anything and he loses the puck so easy it is getting pretty frustrating.

Watching him out there and it is just so blah, which is ok for a bottom 6 guy trying to carve out a spot but doesn't really bode well for him turning out to be much in the future unless he can really start to improve. There will be a big uproar if he is sent down but I don't think he has done anything to make it so that Treliving has to keep him up.
I complete disagree with all of this. Jankowski has shown lots of skill in his few games this year. For being so new to the NHL, I think he's shown more confidence with and without the puck than I would expect from anyone 3 games in. He knows how to use his body and reach and has made a lot of great plays from that. While he hasn't had a lot of dangerous offensive chances to date, I think he and Bennett are both just as likely to make something happen. He's shown the skill and maturity to stay on the team and I can't imagine GG sending him back. He was also 7-for-12 in the faceoff dot last night. He has played just as well as F. Hamilton, Stajan, Glass or Brouwer (and mostly better), and he has all upside to him where the others have all peaked (long ago).

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
It's nothing more than you using a very small sample size to justify why you don't think he'll be a good NHL player.

Putting up numbers isn't the only thing that matters. He's been quiet, but still solid so far.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I do think he'll be sent back. Not because he necessarily needs more seasoning, but to maintain maximum flexibility.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If a person predicts one thing from a player or the team, or indicates they are on the fence, then forms the opposite conclusion after watching to see, that's one thing.

If a person has clearly already made up their mind what they're going to see, then watches and reaffirms their position, there's not a lot to take from it. Clearly if you entrench yourself in an opinion prior to watching, you'll see what you want to see more often than not.

That said, most people fall into that category right now. Those of us who thought he'd do well think he's done well. And Baxterman thinks he's done poorly. Not much to take out of that. :dunno:

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah but Baxterman has thus far proved to have the hockey-analytic abilities of Jim Benning, so it's hard to take that opinion seriously.

Jankowski has looked great and very confident. I think he would do better away from Bennett personally, but even with him the points will come. This whole "flexibility" thing has me scared. Ice the best team- who gives a crap if someone claims F Hamilton (lol that's not happening anyways). If there was any possible way to jettison Stajan from the team immediately, we should take it. I would also prefer that Brouwer and Versteeg never see the PP again, and play ~6 minutes a night to maximize their effort levels and effectiveness.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
That said, most people fall into that category right now. Those of us who thought he'd do well think he's done well. And Baxterman thinks he's done poorly. Not much to take out of that. :dunno:

If anything he has been better than I thought. Sure he has been a dud offensively in terms of creating chances and producing points but away from the puck he has been ok for a bottom 6 guy.

If he were to stay up as the 3rd or 4th line center I think he would be adequate in that role. He isn't great defensively but he isn't a liability either.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
If anything he has been better than I thought. Sure he has been a dud offensively in terms of creating chances and producing points but away from the puck he has been ok for a bottom 6 guy.

If he were to stay up as the 3rd or 4th line center I think he would be adequate in that role. He isn't great defensively but he isn't a liability either.
This is a more fair take- I can see why you don't have confidence in him offensively, but I think you've missed some great offensive zone pressure that his puck protection has helped to establish. My personal opinion is that Bennett is actually dragging him down at this point- usually pretty selfish with the puck, and while he's been more active on the wing he's still prone to making quite a few mistakes and turning over the puck.

All i really think of the matter right now is that he is the best 3C we've played this year, and taking him out of the lineup for "flexibility" just makes us a far less effective team.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The flames have only won home games this season when I've been there, so I think in the best interest of the team everyone here should paypal me $50 and I'll go to the remaining 35 home games and we'll finish the season with a home record of 37-4. :naughty:

Get with the times pal, it's not 100 BCE anymore.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Yes, but that isn't what I meant.

He'll get his points by the end of the year. But he isn't a guy who puts up a PPG, so the expectation shouldn't be that he gets a point every game. He's still doing the little things that make him effective.

Gotcha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->