GDT: Washington at Anaheim (7pm pac)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I don`t know if I`m encouraged or discouraged by that.
If he heals it, he will be able to be a much better player he is right now, no?

He did mention--and I think pretty much everyone here would agree--that this summer was going to be crucial for him, in terms of being able to progress to the stage of skating 3, 4, 5 days in a row without discomfort.

As far as the here and now, it definitely looks like he's starting to find his stride. That line finally emerging from hibernation is the best deadline acquisition this team could ask for.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
i'm surprised tha tlindholm doesn't get more icetime with our d-core.

fowler is always leading the charge up at the 25/26 minute mark. wouldn't mind seeing him get bumped down a mintue or 2 and giving it to lindholm. lindholm only played 20:18 tonight and was 4th in terms of icetime among d-men although 2-4 were all basically the same.

wondering if fowler is gonna have another gear come the post season but recently hes definitely turned it up since being paired with montour which is awesome to see.

Carlyle has always overplayed him, ideally they are evened up but RC is what he is and unfortunately for Lindholm I think as long as Randy is in charge he’s going to lack opportunity in terms of big minutes and especially PP time.

That said since Fowler Montour and Lindholm Manson have become the top 4 it appears Carlyle has drastically changed our DMens deployment (although we need more sample size to say for sure). The past 5 games Fowler/Montour have had 60 percent of their shifts in the offensive zone where as Lindholm Manson have started just over 30 percent of their shifts in the ozone. Until recently Carlyle always rotated his defensive starts fairly evenly. The lowest I’ve seen any Dman on the Ducks over a full season was when BB was coaching and I think Fowler was at 44% that year.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He did mention--and I think pretty much everyone here would agree--that this summer was going to be crucial for him, in terms of being able to progress to the stage of skating 3, 4, 5 days in a row without discomfort.

As far as the here and now, it definitely looks like he's starting to find his stride. That line finally emerging from hibernation is the best deadline acquisition this team could ask for.
Yeah, agreed.

Perhaps better for him (and all of us) if we don`t go far in to the playoffs (unless we go all the way but that is questionable).

But if the situation is so bad then pretty sure he will not also be 100% next year.

But even without skating much, he looks better latley so that`s encouraging.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
No wonder the coverage was so biased. When you look at the replays, the “NBC Sports Washington” logo flashes. This was a national game in name only. They just simulcasted the Caps feed to the national audience.

Reactions: TheNeutrality

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I still think Lindholm-Monty and Fowler-Manson would be the better lineup because it is more even. Now we have a shutdown pair which can be really physical while I have mixed feelings about Fowler-Monty for the playoffs. I fear they will struggle when the game becomes tighter. Nevertheless, this is a great top 4 to have, for years to come! We can ice those 4 for at least another 5-6 years and everyone who pushes out one of them will be a real good hockey player. For next year I really hope we see one of Larsson/Petterson/Mahura with Welinski on the bottom pair.

Btw, Rakells contract is among the top 5 contracts in the league (not including ELC). I still can not believe how cheap he is over the next years.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Kesler just said in the pregame radio interview with Dan Wood that the hip is bothering him to such an extent that he tries not to skate 2 days in a row.

That does not seem encouraging
Is there a way or place where to listen it now? Or is that radio only live version?(that would suck)

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I collapsed on the bed midway through the first, heh...

Another shutout. 4 goals. Second in the Pacific. It seems the whole team has picked up its game at last, Gibby in particular. Let's hope it continues :thumbu:

TheGoodShepard1

Nov 26, 2017
Is there a way or place where to listen it now? Or is that radio only live version?(that would suck)

I think it was pretty much radio only live. I wish AM830's website (which I checked) kept an archive of the pregame conversations and other such interviews (especially because the 1st period guest was Giggy, but I was at the game and could not listen to it).

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Gibson is now second among goalies who have played over 30 games in percentage. And despite the injuries he’s 10th in games played so he’s somewhat handled his workload. Now he’s back hopefully he can stay healthy.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think it was pretty much radio only live. I wish AM830's website (which I checked) kept an archive of the pregame conversations and other such interviews (especially because the 1st period guest was Giggy, but I was at the game and could not listen to it).
It really is sad they don`t have archive so much info just goes up in the air.

If anyone else heard anything from that Kes interview please share :)

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Gibson gonna Gibson. Assuming his play doesn't fall off, he's got to be a favourite for the Vezina....right? At this point I'd say he's easily in the top 10 for the Hart too (if Anaheim makes the playoffs), won't win it but certainly should be getting serious consideration as Anaheim are a lottery team without him.

Rakell nearly hitting 30 goals again and nearly PPG pace. What a turnaround he's had as I thought he had an underwhelming start to the season.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
This team is so infuriating. They will play like this, but put up crap against Phoenix and other bottom dwellers.

When everyone tries as hard as Gibson, we do well.

They limited rebound chances, and kept skating throughout the game.

Putting the Henrique line for empty net situations seems like it works better, (even with Ritchie).

When Rakell is feeling good, he's feeling really good.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Washington is not as good as it used to be. They are only 1 (!) point ahead of us in the standings.
Nashville will be the real test - not even sure if they are playing to their full capailities right now.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Gibson gonna Gibson. Assuming his play doesn't fall off, he's got to be a favourite for the Vezina....right? At this point I'd say he's easily in the top 10 for the Hart too (if Anaheim makes the playoffs), won't win it but certainly should be getting serious consideration as Anaheim are a lottery team without him.

Rakell nearly hitting 30 goals again and nearly PPG pace. What a turnaround he's had as I thought he had an underwhelming start to the season.

he should absolutely be a vezina candidate

but he won't be because he plays for the ducks. watch fleury win it or something stupid

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
i'm surprised tha tlindholm doesn't get more icetime with our d-core.

fowler is always leading the charge up at the 25/26 minute mark. wouldn't mind seeing him get bumped down a mintue or 2 and giving it to lindholm. lindholm only played 20:18 tonight and was 4th in terms of icetime among d-men although 2-4 were all basically the same.

wondering if fowler is gonna have another gear come the post season but recently hes definitely turned it up since being paired with montour which is awesome to see.

I think there's a reason his minutes don't average more, but last game was a perfect example of when he should get more minutes. That pairing was definitely the best pair last night. Fowler and Montour were solid, but they got hemmed in too many times for my liking. That's going to happen with two smaller, less physical D though. They were the best in transition and at creating offense, but overall, I thought Manson/Lindholm pair was easily the best and deserved more ice time than they got.

Saw that tooo.. He is always playing through pain.

The fear I have with that one is the way he was skating, it looked like he had tweaked something. hopefully not though.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Was really impressed with the Fowler/Montour pairing last night. Were fast, dangerous, and able to move the puck quickly out of D zone. If the notion the each pairing must have a "defensive defenseman" on it can be ignored, they may become a lasting thing.

Also liked: Fowler on the half wall instead of the point on the PP. Pettersson's ability to make quick, accurate passes. Silfverberg's defense, several times breaking up plays in the D zone. Gibson's ability to limit rebounds.

TheGoodShepard1

Nov 26, 2017
Couple of other things that impressed me last night:

1) The offense (point production) might have started to dry up a bit, but man, Kase was awesome on the back check, especially coming back through the neutral zone. Really impressed with how quickly he’s picked up the 200-foot game in his first full season.

2) Soj already mentioned the passing, but I’ve always marveled at how good Getzlaf’s edge work is in tight spaces, particularly in the corners and along the half wall.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Couple of other things that impressed me last night:

1) The offense (point production) might have started to dry up a bit, but man, Kase was awesome on the back check, especially coming back through the neutral zone. Really impressed with how quickly he’s picked up the 200-foot game in his first full season.

2) Soj already mentioned the passing, but I’ve always marveled at how good Getzlaf’s edge work is in tight spaces, particularly in the corners and along the half wall.

Yeah, Getzlaf isn't really talked about as a good skater, but I actually think there's a good argument that he uses his skating and edge work to a big advantage in those close quarters. He's really good at cutting back sharply from the angle he was going, and creating separation from the defenders.

I also think that helps him use his size and strength even better, since he can make it tougher for other big, strong guys to get leverage on him just by forcing them to reach a bit more. It's probably that much harder to match him physically when that's the case. That one is more of a theory, on my part, but I think it stands up to what we see.

Reactions: Boogernaut
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Yeah, Getzlaf isn't really talked about as a good skater, but I actually think there's a good argument that he uses his skating and edge work to a big advantage in those close quarters. He's really good at cutting back sharply from the angle he was going, and creating separation from the defenders.

I also think that helps him use his size and strength even better, since he can make it tougher for other big, strong guys to get leverage on him just by forcing them to reach a bit more. It's probably that much harder to match him physically when that's the case. That one is more of a theory, on my part, but I think it stands up to what we see.
Getz also just straight up leans on defenders at times, stealing their momentum. I'm surprised more of them don't sucker him into falling on his ass, I've only ever seen that happen a couple times.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Getz also just straight up leans on defenders at times, stealing their momentum. I'm surprised more of them don't sucker him into falling on his ass, I've only ever seen that happen a couple times.

I wonder if that just goes against their defending "instincts" because if it doesn't work maybe they end up a step behind.

For some reason the Benny Hill Theme is going through my head. Can't imagine why.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

Washington announcers said it perfectly, Getzlaf could have 2 guys on him and he makes it seem like he's going on stroll down the beach because he looks so nonchalant and unworried lol

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

It's his combination of size, strength, edgework, and agility that make what he does one of a kind. I can't think of another player with that unique skillset, it's what has always made him special.

Washington announcers said it perfectly, Getzlaf could have 2 guys on him and he makes it seem like he's going on stroll down the beach because he looks so nonchalant and unworried lol

No no, that makes him lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad