Was the 2004 World Cup of no importance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kravitch

It seems as if that tournament was one of the more meaningless tournaments in pro hockey. You have the 1972 Summit Series which defined a hocey nation and included the greatest moment in hockey history, you have the 1980 Olympics when the massive underdog American beat the great Soviets in one of the greaest hockey moments, you have the 1987 Canada Cup with Lemieux's famous goal which defeated the domonant Soviet squad, and you have the 1996 World Cup which proved the world that the USA was indeed a hockey nation, and you have the 2002

However, this years World Cup (Along with the 1991 Canada Cup in a way) didn't seem to have any historic value. You have people in Canada celebrating and cheering that Canada won, but practically a week later, the tournament was forgotten in Canada. It was kinda like a "Yay we won!" and a pat on the back. Nobody I knew was interested in talking about it days after it occured while the 2002 Gold Medal victory was talked about for months!

Zetterberg4Captain*

Nothing must ever happen where you live if people were talking about the 2002 Olympics for months! Yeah it was our first Gold Medal in 50 years but still.

hunter1909*

What The World Cup Did...

It Showed Everyone The Total And Utter Domination Of Hockey By Canada...

A Domination That Is Now So Complete...that No One Even Wants To Mention It...particularly Americans...

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The World Cup reminded us that there's great hockey even without the NHL.

It puts the lockout in context of alternative formats, and reminds us that over half of the top end talent comes from Europe, where leagues continue to thrive, nowadays with hundreds of NHLers too.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Kravitch said:
It seems as if that tournament was one of the more meaningless tournaments in pro hockey. You have the 1972 Summit Series which defined a hocey nation and included the greatest moment in hockey history, you have the 1980 Olympics when the massive underdog American beat the great Soviets in one of the greaest hockey moments, you have the 1987 Canada Cup with Lemieux's famous goal which defeated the domonant Soviet squad, and you have the 1996 World Cup which proved the world that the USA was indeed a hockey nation, and you have the 2002

However, this years World Cup (Along with the 1991 Canada Cup in a way) didn't seem to have any historic value. You have people in Canada celebrating and cheering that Canada won, but practically a week later, the tournament was forgotten in Canada. It was kinda like a "Yay we won!" and a pat on the back. Nobody I knew was interested in talking about it days after it occured while the 2002 Gold Medal victory was talked about for months!

I think part of it is that we have all seen the best compete in a lot of different tournaments. The WJC's, the spring world champonships, Olympics, etc. There isn't a lot of mystery anymore. I think the general assumption is that anyone can win a tournament but Canada by sheer depth leads the way. If we are #1, teams 2-6 are darn close. I don't know that I'd agree with you saying 1972's series defined all that much. Canada went in expecting to dominate like the NFL in early Super Bowls. The predictions were 8 straight with no games being close. Canada eked out a win in the most thrilling finish I've ever seen, but the message was that there were a lot of great hockey nations out there and the NHL wasn't on the pedestal it thought it was. 1972 forced us to change our definition.

The Canada Cup/World Cup used to be the only time you would see the best play. Since the IOC decided that the Olympic ideal is greed and invited the NHL players to play, the World Cup no longer has that unique distinction.

Also compared to the Olympics which use international rules, the hockey played at the World Cup, using the NHL rules, sucked. Which basically proves the point many of us have suspected for a long time. The NHL's obsession with creating a rule for every conceivable circumstance has choked the life out of the game.

If the players stop going to the Olympics (which is conceivable, but I suspect they will hold on until 2010 in Vancouver) that will restore some of the lustre and importance to the World Cup. Until then it will be nothing more than a sideshow run by the NHL and the NHLPA so they can make a little more money.

espo*

Sure,it still means something,although the rest of the hockey world wants to keep it quiet,mainly because a lot of their fans swore they were going to kick Canada's ass this time around,well,that did'nt happen and now they would like it to go away so everything is rather hush-hush.It did'nt have the historical significance of past tournaments due to to the lock out which prevented some of the best players from playing and the fact that the olympics were just two years removed but you can bet every major hockey playing power took something out of it and lessons were learned while at the same time it would have plenty of significance if their team had managed to win.Everyone but Canada has revenge on their minds for sure but they will grudgingly looking at the canucks as the model on how to get things done the next time around.The question going through their minds will be "how do they regroup and continue to pull it off in spite of our insistence and belief that we can beat the pants off them?" Next tournament's team building will be structured around that premise.Tha'ts probably the significance of this past world cup.Ah....the international macho hockey wars continue..... it's such fun isn't it?

Kravitch

What I liked the most about the World Cup is that it was the ONLY trophy Canada has never gotten its hands on.

World Junior Championships? Check.

World Championships? Check.

Olympic Golds? Check.

Canada Cups? Check.

Various ametur tounaments (U17, U18, U19, ect.)? Check. Check. Check. Ect...

Womans World Championship? Check.

Womans World Junior Championships? Check.

Spengler Cups? Check.

World Cup? CHECK!

It was the last trophy on Canada's hockey scavanger hunt. And we got it!

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think 2004 will be remembered for Lecavalier's thrilling OT winner in the semis against the Czechs. Much like in 1984 when Bossy scored the OT winner against the Soviets after Coffey had broken up a 2 on 1 rush. In 1984 Canada beat Sweden 2-0 in an anti climatic final. The Canada-Finland game wasnt too exciting either.

What ruined the World Cup this year was the lockout. It was always lingering over the tounry no matter what. That and the fact that the round robin meant nothing and there seemed to be a little less competiveness and hunger unlike in 1996 when you had to fight for a playoff spot.

Of course hearing Bettman, Daly, Saskin, Goodenow talk every intermission about why the other side is so wrong and trying to win the fans on their side didnt help either. They could have hammered a deal out long before if they hadn't tired to get the public on their side.

That said their was only one "great" game in that tounry and it was the Can-Cze game. That was on for the ages and I'll tell you if you ever need a Hockey fix you can watch that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad