Was Sterling Sharpe better than Michael Irvin, Tim Brown and Cris Carter? Chri

PROGFAN66

Feb 10, 2019
Out these four players Sterling Sharpe is the only one not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

While his career was cut short by a career ending injury he was well on his way to the Hall of Fame. Sterling was a thee time first team All Pro and has many career touchdowns a Michael Irvin with much less games. Irvin made one first team All Pro and Tim Brown never accomplished this feat. Cris Carter was a two time first team All Pro.

However, before Sterling Sharpe was considered by many better than all of them at this prime.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Easily

Having watched them he was most talented among that group and his procution was better

Frankly Chris Carter was overrated IMO and for most of his Vikes career wasn't even the Vikings best WR

Anthony Carter despite injuries was still better WR early in Chris Carter's Minnesota career and then
Jake Reed was better then him IMO for several years but never got media attention for it and Moss was better then Carter the moment he was drafted and instantly stepped into #1 WR spot on team

Carter benefited from vet QB's forcing him ball in redzone situations (Largely because of his bitching about wanting ball) thus his inflated TD #'s

Last edited:
Reactions: Babe Ruth

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
My initial thought was that he should be there based on his abilities. He'd surely be in if not for the shortened career.
With guys like Easley getting in despite the same thing maybe his time is coming.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Sharpe was on track to be closer to #80 than to those three guys in my opinion.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Nope Easily

Having watched them he was most talent among that group and his procution was better

Frankly Chris Carter was overrated IMO and for most of his Vikes career wasn't even the Vikings best WR

Anthony Carter despite injuries was still better WR early in Chris Carter's Minnesota career and then
Jake Reed was better then him IMO for several years but never got media attention for it and Moss was better then Carter the moment he was drafted and instantly stepped into #1 WR spot on team

Carter benefited from vet QB's forcing him ball in redzone situations (Largely because of his bitching about wanting ball) thus his inflated TD #'s

Good mention of Anthony Carter, one of the most underrated WR's of that era.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

PROGFAN66

Feb 10, 2019
I posted this question in a strictly NFL forum which I won't mention. It seems many thought I was comparing Sterling Sharpe to other modern players

Interesting this forum seems to know more about the history of football than the NFL based forum. Good on you to be honest.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Hof has something against guys who play less than 10 years for some reason. Why he (and Patrick Willis) aren’t in is beyond me.

Edit: Holy hell, he was even better than I remember. 314 receptions, 3854 yards and 42 td’s in his last 3 seasons would make the Arena league blush.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I posted this question in a strictly NFL forum which I won't mention. It seems many thought I was comparing Sterling Sharpe to other modern players

Interesting this forum seems to know more about the history of football than the NFL based forum. Good on you to be honest.
We’re a pretty small group over here but most seem to be 35 and above, so we’ve all seen a bit of ball in our days.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Hof has something against guys who play less than 10 years for some reason. Why he (and Patrick Willis) aren’t in is beyond me.

Edit: Holy hell, he was even better than I remember. 314 receptions, 3854 yards and 42 td’s in his last 3 seasons would make the Arena league blush.

Agreed and good call on Willis. Short career but he was consistently brilliant throughout. Should be in.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

I'd add Shaun Alexander to that list as well, 10,940 yards from scrimmage and 112 TD in only 119 career games. If Terrell Davis can get in on 78 total games, then Alexander should be in as well, especially since like TD Alexander's career was also derailed by injuries at only 28.

1,138 yds 14 TD 4.3 ypc
1,175 yds 16 TD 4.0 ypc
1,435 yds 14 TD 4.4 ypc
1,696 yds 16 TD 4.8 ypc
1,880 yds 27 TD 5.1 ypc

On a bad Seattle team where everyone knew who was getting the ball...because they sure as hell weren't winning games on Matt Hasselbeck's arm. He and Tomlinson were equals IMO

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I'd add Shaun Alexander to that list as well, 10,940 yards from scrimmage and 112 TD in only 119 career games. If Terrell Davis can get in on 78 total games, then Alexander should be in as well, especially since like TD Alexander's career was also derailed by injuries at only 28.

1,138 yds 14 TD 4.3 ypc
1,175 yds 16 TD 4.0 ypc
1,435 yds 14 TD 4.4 ypc
1,696 yds 16 TD 4.8 ypc
1,880 yds 27 TD 5.1 ypc

On a bad Seattle team where everyone knew who was getting the ball...because they sure as hell weren't winning games on Matt Hasselbeck's arm. He and Tomlinson were equals IMO
Good call. Playing on bad/up-and-coming teams added with the arrival of Marshawn Lynch soon after, it’s easy to see why he slips under the radar. He definitely helped lay the foundation or the eventual ‘boom’ teams.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Agreed and good call on Willis. Short career but he was consistently brilliant throughout. Should be in.
8 seasons, 7 pro bowls, 5 all-pros.

They’re leaving him out because he made the wise choice not to play 2-3 more seasons on a foot that was never going to fully heal if he kept playing.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
8 seasons, 7 pro bowls, 5 all-pros.

They’re leaving him out because he made the wise choice not to play 2-3 more seasons on a foot that was never going to fully heal if he kept playing.

That kind of thing is exactly why players fight so hard for guaranteed money, and rightfully so.

Your body goes through hell in this sport, and no one's going to look out for you except you.

Reactions: Voight

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
It's definitely ridiculous that Sharpe isn't in the hall but I wouldn't get too worked up about Willis just yet. It's only his 3rd year of eligibility and he might get in this year. I'd actually rather see Zach Thomas get in this year since he's been waiting almost 10 years. Both should get elected in the next few years.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That kind of thing is exactly why players fight so hard for guaranteed money, and rightfully so.

Your body goes through hell in this sport, and no one's going to look out for you except you.
Yep, part of why I have a hard time siding with owners on most issues.
It's definitely ridiculous that Sharpe isn't in the hall but I wouldn't get too worked up about Willis just yet. It's only his 3rd year of eligibility and he might get in this year. I'd actually rather see Zach Thomas get in this year since he's been waiting almost 10 years. Both should get elected in the next few years.
He’ll get in, and so will Thomas. It’s the game within the game that’s a bunch of crap. There are still a lot of guys on the outside because they didn’t play the media/owner game at a hof level.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I think they just like to make them wait. Terrell Davis basically played 4 seasons in the NFL and had to wait 11 years.

Another BS reason why Sharpe isn't in. Played longer than Davis and has just as dominant (position wise) yet has not gotten the call.

Reactions: PROGFAN66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad