Was Luongo good enough for everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oceanic39*

He's no Brodeur. He was decent for his first playoff-style game.

I'm sure given the chance Canada would prefer Brodeur at 80% over Luongo at 100%.

While the two are extremely close in raw skill, there's a huge difference in their approach to and performance in a game at this level.

In a few years, if the Panthers ever make the playoffs and Luongo gets that experience to go with his skills, he's going to be scary good.

EaGLE1

Feb 17, 2004
Quebec City
Oceanic39 said:
He's no Brodeur. He was decent for his first playoff-style game.

I'm sure given the chance Canada would prefer Brodeur at 80% over Luongo at 100%.

While the two are extremely close in raw skill, there's a huge difference in their approach to and performance in a game at this level.

In a few years, if the Panthers ever make the playoffs and Luongo gets that experience to go with his skills, he's going to be scary good.

He'll be good, but his stats will drop when they will cut the pads...He's good because he's monster big, but Brodeur is easely ahead. The debate is Brodeur or Roy?

Oceanic39*

EaGLE1 said:
He'll be good, but his stats will drop when they will cut the pads...He's good because he's monster big, but Brodeur is easely ahead. The debate is Brodeur or Roy?

"It's like he has condominiums strapped to his legs."
-Brad Richards after a TB win over Luongo and Florida earlier this year.

Kasparov*

Please don't ever compare Brodeur and Luongo to eachother.

Thanks.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
I don't think Luongo's pads are illegal.

Keep in mind he's a huge goalie, he has to wear the big pads. Also, we've been watching Brodeur, who likes smaller pads because they make it easier for him to handle the puck.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
VanIslander said:
Brodeur is no Hasek, no Roy.

Who expected Brodeur to steal any games?

Luongo or Theodore would be fine.

With Canada's team they shouldn't need the goaltender to steal any games. Brodeur is definitely in Roy and Hasek's class.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
VanIslander said:
Brodeur is no Hasek, no Roy.

Who expected Brodeur to steal any games?

Luongo or Theodore would be fine.

Brodeur is twice the goalie Theodore and Luongo are. It's not even close.

Kasparov*

E = CH² said:
Brodeur is twice the goalie Theodore and Luongo are. It's not even close.

I agree.

All on top of their game it's

Brodeur easily > Theodore > Luongo

Thing is Theodore's consistancy isn't up to his vezina form, but when he's on top of his game, he's a brick wall because not only is he very fast and agile but he's also so sound fundamentally with his technique/rebound control etc.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Flame_Star_Devil said:
With Canada's team they shouldn't need the goaltender to steal any games.

It doesn't work like that. When a goalie allows a few softies that shouldn't have went in, the whole team plays nervously. The effect a goalie has on the team that plays in front of him is huge. Especially considering the fact our defense is so young and we were facing the dangerous czechs.

Flame_Star_Devil said:
Brodeur is definitely in Roy and Hasek's class.

Totally agree.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
A career highlight package of greatest games for Roy or Hasek would put Brodeur to shame. And I like Brodeur. He's a solid NHL regular, reliable, the sort of guy you expect to neither win the game nor lose the game usually.
Parise = The Future said:
Looking forward to your posts in another 12 years when Brodeur has beaten damn near every record that Roy holds.
:loony:

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Jacques Plante said:
The guy made some increadibly key saves!

He made one with the pads stacked in the 3rd that was just amazing.

And then in OT, where he made a great save coming across to his glove side and making a blocker save. After that amazing save Canada went down the ice and scored!

Luongo didn't give up any bad goals. The 2 "questionalbe" goals were tips. CBC showed a replay during the intermission that clearly showed the 3rd goal was a redirect.

So Luongo gets more than a passing grade from me.

He faces 40 shots, gets the win and there's still complaining?? :eek: :shakehead

Agree 100% ...........must of felt like old times for him facing 38 shots again!!!!!!!!! Probably wasn't expecting that or his team to get dominated the way they did at times........... He made me proud to be Canadian once again!!!!!!!!! Good job Luongo, IMO i'd put him in over Brodeur but I know that won't happen if he's healthy.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Kasparov said:
I agree.

All on top of their game it's

Brodeur easily > Theodore > Luongo

Thing is Theodore's consistancy isn't up to his vezina form, but when he's on top of his game, he's a brick wall because not only is he very fast and agile but he's also so sound fundamentally with his technique/rebound control etc.

Totaly agree. That's also how I would rank them.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
VanIslander said:
A career highlight package of greatest games for Roy or Hasek would put Brodeur to shame. And I like Brodeur. He's a solid NHL regular, reliable, the sort of guy you expect to neither win the game nor lose the game usually.

Exactly. Brodeur is solid, reliable and good when he has to be but he can thank Lou Lamoreillo (sp?) for all those records and cups.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
VanIslander said:

You realize that Brodeur is 32 and is on pace to own every goalie record there is by the time he's 40?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Jacques Plante said:
Exactly. Brodeur is solid, reliable and good when he has to be but he can thank Lou Lamoreillo (sp?) for all those records and cups.

I actually think Lou has Brodeur to thank for all the records and cups... though Lou is responsible for getting Brodeur so he's ultimately the man behind it all.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
VanIslander said:

Pavel Bure's package of highlights would put Iginla to shame. I'd still take Iginla above Bure any day of the week.

Hockey is not about highlights and crap like that. It's about winning hockey games. Something Brodeur has been consistently good at ever since his first season in the NHL. At a much younger age than Hasek to boot.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Flame_Star_Devil said:
With Canada's team they shouldn't need the goaltender to steal any games. Brodeur is definitely in Roy and Hasek's class.

Brodeur is better than Hasek, roy we'll have to see when he retires. He does have a good shot at beating Roy's record for most wins.

Kasparov*

E = CH² said:
Pavel Bure's package of highlights would put Iginla to shame. I'd still take Iginla above Bure any day of the week.

Hockey is not about highlights and crap like that. It's about winning hockey games. Something Brodeur has been consistently good at ever since his first season in the NHL. At a much younger age than Hasek to boot.

Well said

college hockey

Jun 8, 2004
Maine
E = CH² said:

Thanks to the teams he's had in front of him. Brodeur's numbers would be much different in another teams system. He sees what 20 shots a night in NJ if he's lucky?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Uh, The New Jersey Devils have made Brodeur's job a lot easier with their superior team defense over the years, especially early in his career. Does anyone doubt that he's had a goaltender's sweetest franchise to play for?

Flame_Star_Devil said:
I actually think Lou has Brodeur to thank for all the records and cups.
You sure put the Devil in Flame_Star_Devil.

I will admit that both Roy and Hasek have been much colder than Brodeur has been; but they have also been much hotter, many times, outright dominating games and series in a way that Brodeur hasn't.

Do you doubt that?

That doesn't take away from the "overall most solid" label from being applied to Brodeur.

Yet, even then, if Theodore was on a streak, I'd have put him in instead.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
NCAA Hockey Fan said:
Thanks to the teams he's had in front of him. Brodeur's numbers would be much different in another teams system. He sees what 20 shots a night in NJ if he's lucky?

You hear goaltenders say a lot of shots help them get into the game, and that it's difficult mentally when they get few shots all the time.

Besides, Roy had Chelios, Robinson, Carbonneau, Gainey for his first cup. And Desjardins, Schneider, Carbonneau and the whole team was playing very good defense back then. And I'm not even talking of Blake, Foote, Bourque, etc.

Hasek never actually won the cup before he had Lidstrom and co in front of him.

Sure every players are a product of the team they play for. They still have to rise to the challenge. And Brodeur is doing that every year.

EDIT : Few great teams actually win cups without great goaltenders.

Last edited:

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
VanIslander said:
Uh, The New Jersey Devils have made Brodeur's job a lot easier with their superior team defense over the years, especially early in his career. Does anyone doubt that he's had a goaltender's sweetest franchise to play for?

You sure put the Devil in Flame_Star_Devil.

I will admit that both Roy and Hasek have been much colder than Brodeur has been; but they have also been much hotter, many times, outright dominating games and series in a way that Brodeur hasn't.

Do you doubt that?

That doesn't take away from the "overall most solid" label from being applied to Brodeur.

Yet, even then, if Theodore was on a streak, I'd have put him in instead.

Every great player, to become a legend like Roy is, has to have a great team. The truly great players live up to that team and become part of it. Roy had a great defensive squad in Montreal and in Colorado, as good as the Devils had in 95, 00, or 03. It's not fair to the players who never get that opportunity but until you get the chance to win and are able to take it you'll never be remembered as truly great. Maybe that's not fair but it's the way it really works. The winners are the ones who are remembered in the end and they're remembered along with their team.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
E = CH² said:
You hear goaltenders say a lot of shots help them get into the game, and that it's difficult mentally when they get few shots all the time.

Alot of goalies say that, but, of the few shots Brodeur recieves every night how many of them are quality ones. Almost all are from the perimeter.

E = CH² said:
Besides, Roy had Chelios, Robinson, Carbonneau, Gainey for his first cup. And Desjardins, Schneider, Carbonneau and the whole team was playing very good defense back then. And I'm not even talking of Blake, Foote, Bourque, etc.

Hasek never actually won the cup before he had Lidstrom and co in front of him.

Brodeur had Stevens, Niedermayer, Daneyko, Madden, Elias and so on too. Probably a better team than the post 1986 Habs(1993 being the exception).

E = CH² said:
Sure every players are a product of the team they play for. They still have to rise to the challenge. And Brodeur is doing that every year.

That's very true, and he's done that, but he hasn't acheived the level of greatness set by Roy.

I'm not trying to attack you, just having a good debate. After all, were both Habs fans. :) Why don't we just agree Plante was the best ;)

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Jacques Plante said:
Alot of goalies say that, but, of the few shots Brodeur recieves every night how many of them are quality ones. Almost all are from the perimeter.

Brodeur had Stevens, Niedermayer, Daneyko, Madden, Elias and so on too. Probably a better team than the post 1986 Habs(1993 being the exception).

That's very true, and he's done that, but he hasn't acheived the level of greatness set by Roy.

I'm not trying to attack you, just having a good debate. After all, were both Habs fans. :) Why don't we just agree Plante was the best ;)

Agreed, he's not there yet. But he's in Roy's class and if he continues on the pace he's on he'll surpass all Roy's records. He already 3 cups to Roys 4. In the end, if this continues, Brodeur will be remembered as the greater goalie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad