Anthony*

he was good enough to win

which should be good enough for everyone

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
jacksheit said:
bah I fell asleep when the game was 2-1 n woke up, 3-3 in OT.
luckly i recorded the game
Now, Cananda's d was shakey, the Czech's were strong, and Luoie let in 2 weak goals.
But over all, did Luoie save the day? was he good enough for everyone?
good enough for this game, but Vokoun was pretty bad too. The Draper goal, and flopping around like a fish on the Vinny goal werent very good. Even the Brewer goal was stoppable. Luongo let in 2 softies, especially the 3rd goal which was reminiscent of Salo in Salt Lake in how weak it was. Wasnt tested much in ot, but came up big on Hejduk. Well, it wasnt that great, certainly wasnt as great as the commentators and posters made it out to be, but it was a good solid save.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Of course he was good enough.

I didn't expect Brodeur to steal any games either.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
He did for me seeing as the Czechs continually dominated the Canadians offensively in this game, a lot due to very sloppy plays by all the Canadian players, plus Louie hasn't seen a lot of action through out this tourney.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
He was just decent, IMO. He made saves he shouldn't have and got scored on by shots that he should've saved.
Kind of reminds me of Roman Cechmanek. ;)

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because he was probably pretty rusty from not playing for a while.

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
He played well. I mean he wasnt terrible but that third goal was one of those what I call "wtf" goals! He kept us in there at times...he wasn't bad, he's still young and has time. I'd rather have him in net than Brodeur if he's not at 100% cuz you certainly wouldn't want Brodeur to aggravate his injury further.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
The guy made some increadibly key saves!

He made one with the pads stacked in the 3rd that was just amazing.

And then in OT, where he made a great save coming across to his glove side and making a blocker save. After that amazing save Canada went down the ice and scored!

Luongo didn't give up any bad goals. The 2 "questionalbe" goals were tips. CBC showed a replay during the intermission that clearly showed the 3rd goal was a redirect.

So Luongo gets more than a passing grade from me.

He faces 40 shots, gets the win and there's still complaining?? :eek: :shakehead

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Yes, Luongo was good enough. Although, throughout the whole game, I didn't have confidence in him for a second.

PEli*

We won. Of course he was good enough. The guy kept us in the game during the Czech domination of the middle of the third and Lecavalier scored the OT winner because Luongo faced five shots before it.

joeminus

Mar 3, 2002
Tampa, FL
Visit site
He was OK. Made a couple of big stops, but also got really lucky a few times. They won the game -- that's all that matters. I'd feel more comfortable with Brodeur between the pipes, however.

EaGLE1

Feb 17, 2004
Quebec City
Jacques Plante said:
The guy made some increadibly key saves!

He made one with the pads stacked in the 3rd that was just amazing.

And then in OT, where he made a great save coming across to his glove side and making a blocker save. After that amazing save Canada went down the ice and scored!

Luongo didn't give up any bad goals. The 2 "questionalbe" goals were tips. CBC showed a replay during the intermission that clearly showed the 3rd goal was a redirect.

So Luongo gets more than a passing grade from me.

He faces 40 shots, gets the win and there's still complaining?? :eek: :shakehead

euhh...34 shots.

He played GOOD. Not Great. Enough to win, but Brodeur looks a lot sharper than Luongo. 2 of the goals were softies. There's also the fact that he was unable to protect the lead all game long...2-0, 2-1, 2-2, 3-2, 3-3, 4-3.

I really hope that Brodeur could play against Finland, because with Luongo, i'm not comfortable.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
EaGLE1 said:
euhh...34 shots.

He played GOOD. Not Great. Enough to win, but Brodeur looks a lot sharper than Luongo. 2 of the goals were softies. There's also the fact that he was unable to protect the lead all game long...2-0, 2-1, 2-2, 3-2, 3-3, 4-3.

I really hope that Brodeur could play against Finland, because with Luongo, i'm not comfortable.

Those 2 "Softies" were tips. A tip isn't a softie IMO.

Dr. Nucksfan

Sep 23, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
We were lucky: first, Canada played a truly mediocre game; second, the Czechs couldn't capitalize; third, Luongo came in cold, to play his first game of the tournament -- and he did alright. I was nervous after seeing what in my opinion was two fairly stoppable shots creep past him. But he stoned the Czechs in OT. And he stopped 40 shots.

I'm more worried about the team. What were they doing? Looking past the Czechs to the Finns? Or are the Czechs, with their routine, familiarity and skill, and system, that good?

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
I think we've all seen Luongo play better in recent years but as was said he was good enough to win, good enough to stop 37 shots and that should be good enough for everyone.
I'm confident that he'll have shaken off the rust with this game and that if Brodeur isn't ready for the final then Luongo will be ready and back to his dominant self.

PEli*

I'd like to also point out that I'd have been confident with Theodore in goal as well. Not as confident but confident enough that we would have pulled out the win.

Quinn and co. get to make these decisions for a reason.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I don't understand people saying Luongo played a great game. Had Brodeur been in nets that game would have never went to OT. And I'm confident in saying that the defense wouldn't have been anywhere near as in shambles at any point in the game as it was after the 2nd czech goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->