Was Charle Gardiner suffering in 1934?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
In 1934 in a story that doesnt get told a whole lot Chicago goalie Charlie Gardiner won his first and only Cup and then died that summer of a brain hemmorage. My question is does anyone know how much he suffered in the '34 Cup finals? I know it was just weeks after he won that he died but was he dying at the time? Anyone have a link or some more info on it?

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I remember reading that he was having dizzy spells during the playoffs. I'll see if I can dig up the actual source later.

EventHorizon

Bring Back Ties!
In Hockey Chronicle, in the chapter for the 1933-34 season numerous references to Gardiner's disease are mentioned. It states that Gardiner is suffering from a chronic tonsil infection, a disease that had begun to cause uremic convulsions. It implies that the infection also affected him emotionally, making winning the Cup an obsession with him. The article says that his body was "racked with pain" during the Finals. It must have been noticeable to others as well; Tommy Gorman turned to Lionel Conacher before game 3 and said "He's bad".

I'll see if I can find an actual link somewhere with this info, but this is all I have so far.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
wiki has this:

... In 1933-34, as captain, he led the Blackhawks to their first Stanley Cup. Sadly, his greatest triumph was short lived, three weeks later he suffered a brain hemorrhage and died in Winnipeg at age 29.

his stats (www.hockeygoalies.org) are incredible:

GP Min W L T GA GAA ShO
33-34 Chicago Black Hawks NHL 8 542 6 1 1 12 1.33 2

all very unusual, including the fact he was captain of the hawks as well.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I was poking through Chapters the other day, hockey section, read a bit on that final and it said that when the play was in the opponent's zone, he needed to use the net for support to stand up.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You'd think it would be one of the most commonly known stories in the history of the league, given the combination of heroic play and tragedy - should be right up there with Barilko and Morenz. I wonder why it isn't, and so few people know about it. Probably because it wasn't in Toronto or Montreal, and it's a shame.

Canadarocks

Sep 16, 2005
I'd love to see a movie about it but there haven't even been ones made about Morenz and Barilko which, as MS said, are the more commonly known hockey tragedies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad