Was bringing Minnesota and Columbus into the league a bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMatty

Nov 9, 2002
North Bay ON
No, they were both good decisions in my mind. In 5 years I see CBJ as the better team. Better goaltending, better top end talent (Nash, Zherdev), and a decent back end. The Wild's system, work ethic, and organizational stability and consistencey will keep them very close in the race though.

A lot can change in 5 years, but my best guess is CBJ.

Radulov for Czar*

How long until this thread turns into a Nashville and Atlanta bashing?

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
I agree. Minnisota and CLB were great expansions. Their fans are great and hockey is very important for them compared to other places (Carolina for exemple)

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
i really don't know what the hockey culture was like in Columbus before expansion, but it was really a no-brainer to get a team back in Minnesota

marvel

Mar 11, 2005
spielwelt12.monstersgame.net
Minnesota and Columbus are both good locations with good fans. There are other teams that maybe were no good decisions like Florida, San Jose, Anaheim or Phoenix! But it is like it is...

Mac225

Jul 20, 2004
vancouver
No, I think those franchises will work out. Minnesota has amazing support and Fans there, even if they do play a boring stlye the fans still go see the games. And CBJ has great prospects once they get rolling then i think they'll get alot more support.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I think that both of those franchises will have a very good future and the BlueJackets should be good once all their current prospects are playing in the league.

RoyIsALegend*

Minnesota?

Why would that be considered a bad idea?

Minnesota is an absolutely great hockey place with a ton of traditional, fantatical support from their fans, and has hockey deep in it's roots.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
As already stated, Minnesota is a no-brainer, and getting a team in Columbus was a great idea. Their attendance has been excellent and they have a very good fan base already that will only keep growing with the likes of Rick Nash and Nikolai Zherdev becoming star players in the next few years. Plus their third jersey looks great... they should use the logo for their third uni as the main logo for all their uniforms.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Yes. Minnesota is a state where hockey thrives. It was a shame they went so long without a team in the first place.

As for Columbus, I'm not sure how their revenue is, but I've heard that hockey is gaining popularity in most of Ohio. Their management has done a great job in building a team that will be excellent in the next few years as well.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
CoupeStanley said:
No.

It was one of the best expansion the NHL have done.

Minnesota, is the state of hockey and
Columbus have no pro-sports competition.

I agree

the North Stars should never have left at the beginning.

And I also think that Nashville and Carolina should be the first to lose their teams and not Columbus.

and yes, Columbus will have a super team in a few years. The Wild started to win early and they never had the chance to draft top-end talent (besides Gaborik) as Columbus did.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
PapaBear said:
And which do you think will be the better team in say 5 yrs?

What is the basis, the rationale, for yet another inane thread? Answer: there is none.

Minny and Columbus "a bad idea"? Why? How about arbitrarily picking Atlanta or Nashville or San Jose? Heck, why not pick on NYI (expansion in '72) or Buffalo, ('70). Or better yet, St. Louis, etc. ('67)?

Here's some advice Pbear: think twice, before posting once. :speechles

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
I think Minnesota/Columbus are less of a problem than most of the other more recent expansion teams. No.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
how they could have put teams in "minnesota" and "columbus" while the hockey hot beds of Kansas and Tallahasse go without nhl. pf.

PredsFan77*

Screw those south teams, let's contract their ass or move them to Canada where they belong!

X0ssbar

Ziggy Stardust said:
they should use the logo for their third uni as the main logo for all their uniforms.

You know, I totally agree with this statement. Huge CBJ fan but not a big fan of their orginal logo - LOVE the 3rd jersey logo however.

Back OT - both markets have been a success. Minny was a given but C-bus was a wild card that has really paid off. On-ice success as mentioned needs plenty of work but the current fan-base is pretty amazing considering the team's record. This fanbase will explode once they ice a competitor and get past this CBA mess.

I personally think you need to give every expansion franchise at least 10 years before you can really pass judgement.

..oh and I think the CBJ will be the better team in 5 years but there is no shame in my game - this is a biased statement. :)

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
Top Shelf said:
I personally think you need to give every expansion franchise at least 10 years before you can really pass judgement.

so... what about Anaheim and Florida? Their 10 years are finished.. Same thing for Ottawa and Tampa...

mmm all of them are struggling financially. Ottawa is the real one with a great fan-based, but still has money-problems.

X0ssbar

Ryderama said:
so... what about Anaheim and Florida? Their 10 years are finished.. Same thing for Ottawa and Tampa...

mmm all of them are struggling financially. Ottawa is the real one with a great fan-based, but still has money-problems.

You answered your own question. If its been 10 years then I would pass judgement - but not in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->