W.T.F.! Skate Problem!

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I just got new skates a few weeks ago and after I played tonight I take my skate off to fine a nice split in the middle of my skate blade! I put a lot of time to break the skates in (which took awhile) and im not about to get a new pair again. The top part of the blade (remember there is 2 parts now) is kinda loose but I dont think it would come out unless I REALLY pulled hard(i tried lightly and it didnt move)....so do you think I can still skate for the time being on it? And how can I get this fixed? I really dont want to send them back to the company because I pretty much always have to use my skates, right now im reffing until mid june and then late june my summer league starts up. Any suggestions?

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

BTW this is what it looks like in case my description isn't good, and that is not my skate
[image]http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/5283/untitled4lz.jpg[/image]

Sock Monkey

May 4, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
That skate in the picture is the weirdest looking skate of all time, pretty deformed.
Anyway, you can definitely replace the runner. Especially in a Cobra holder. All you need to do is unscrew the screw in the back of the holder, buy a new runner and throw it on. I don't think I would skate on it. If it completely bends at that spot then you could be in for an injury.

xpat1313x

Jan 7, 2004
Middleboro, Ma
Visit site
Happens all the time, just take the skate to your local skate shop and they should be able to replace it. Done that twice and also just had the plastic blade holder replaced. Probably cost you around $30 to get it done.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Could be some burning on the first sharpening which weakened the steel, could be a mismounted holder which is putting extra pressure there, could just be bad steel. Take it to the store you bought it from and show it to them. You can replace the steel for relatively cheap. If the holder is loose, let'em know and they'll toss some rivets in there which should fix it up.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
Well, if this helps, I was playing in a high school game a few years back, and i got hit in the blade with a slapshot. I knew my blade snapped right away. I got back to the locker room and saw that there was about a quarter inch gap in my blade, but neither side was lose. I didn't have an extra pair of skates, so i went back out and I was able to skate on it for the most part. The only part that was tough was turning or stopping.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Wow that was pretty easy. Thought it was going to be a big deal. Just came back from my pro shop and they put a new blades in. The guy said that everyone who buys my type of skates has the same problem (Bauer Supremes 8090s), I guess they used crap steal for it. I got some good steal in them now. :)

Cost $50 bucks though which was the downside.

Evil Ted

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Welcome to the world of graff hockey skates and cobra chassis, they break all the time ive had my 705s for 2 years now and i replace the blades for the exact same problem you have once a year, its just the makeup that they use for the blades i guess but its a very common problem with graff skates.

Last edited:

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Evil Ted said:
Welcome to the world of graff hockey skates and viper chassis, they break all the time ive had my 705s for 2 years now and i replace the blades for the exact same problem you have once a year, its just the makeup that they use for the blades i guess but its a very common problem with graff skates.

I guess I got my grafs at the right time then. Ive had 2 pairs of 705s in the last few years and have never had any steel problems. Makes me hesitant to get anohter pair with all the problems theve been having lately.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
kingpest19 said:
I guess I got my grafs at the right time then. Ive had 2 pairs of 705s in the last few years and have never had any steel problems. Makes me hesitant to get anohter pair with all the problems theve been having lately.

I put a Tuuk chassis on my 705's but now I have the problem of a small steel. They aren't as easy to replace as the Cobra's and the Graf's dont have the hole in the bottom to take out the steel. I have to take em in to take the rivets out.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Timmer44 said:
I put a Tuuk chassis on my 705's but now I have the problem of a small steel. They aren't as easy to replace as the Cobra's and the Graf's dont have the hole in the bottom to take out the steel. I have to take em in to take the rivets out.
You can drill through the sole of the Grafs to make give you a route to the bolts. It won't affect the durability of the skate and it's not noticable when the insole is in the skate.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
EazyB97 said:
You can drill through the sole of the Grafs to make give you a route to the bolts. It won't affect the durability of the skate and it's not noticable when the insole is in the skate.

Really? How big a hole should I drill? Isn't there a front hole as well or will taking off the back bolt remove the steel?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
FLYLine88 said:
Wow that was pretty easy. Thought it was going to be a big deal. Just came back from my pro shop and they put a new blades in. The guy said that everyone who buys my type of skates has the same problem (Bauer Supremes 8090s), I guess they used crap steal for it. I got some good steal in them now. :)

Cost $50 bucks though which was the downside.
Ouch!!! Had to be The Piers.

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
Jacobv2 said:
That skate looks like it has down syndrome.

Ya man your skate looks like it is very deformed? What the hell did you do to it? It looks like you got it heat molded and skated in it right after.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Timmer44 said:
Really? How big a hole should I drill? Isn't there a front hole as well or will taking off the back bolt remove the steel?
Take it to your local hockey store, have them do it. It has to be big enough to fit a the tool's needed. Mine had LS2 hardware, so it needed an 8mm socket. Not completely sure on what you'd need. I drilled my 609's, but I didn't have a big enough drill bit and the steel was never loose, so I never tried to enlarge it.

Try posting on modsquadhockey.com, I'm sure someone could give you exact step-by-step directions for it.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
this just happened to one of my skates too, Mission skates, model from a couple years ago.

I called a few places, one quoted me $40 for the pair of replacements, another $50 and the third place $70, so i don't think $50 is much of a ripoff.

I was told that the middle of the three bolts can sometimes create odd tension on the blade if it's tighter than the two bolts at either end, so it's best to leave the middle bolt a little looser than the others. something I'll do when I get them back.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
IBleedOil247 said:
Ya man your skate looks like it is very deformed? What the hell did you do to it? It looks like you got it heat molded and skated in it right after.
Just looks like a regular Graf skate to me. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->