Prospect Info: Vsevolod Komarov, RD Drummondville (QMJHL) - 134th overall in 2022 (Signed)

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Fun to see them up 2-0 now. The Volts were really limiting tonight - only 21 shots total.
This is kinda unbelievable to me.

From 2006-2018, there were rarely, if ever, exciting prospects to watch that weren't already on the team. Mittelstadt had a lovely WJC, but was actually meh in college.

Flash forward to today: Savoie and Komarov are running deep, both for the 2nd straight year. One of them already has a Mem Cup.

Rochester has Neuchev, Wahlberg, Johnson, Levi, Ostlund, Rosen, Kulich, and Metsa (sign him god dammt!) all contributing game one.

I didn't see the Roy, Pommer, Vanek group in Roch, but this talent wave has to be right there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Game 3 tonight and of no surprise to anyone, named a finalist for the Émile-Bouchard Trophy aka. the QMJHL Defenseman of the Year:

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
This is kinda unbelievable to me.

From 2006-2018, there were rarely, if ever, exciting prospects to watch that weren't already on the team. Mittelstadt had a lovely WJC, but was actually meh in college.

Flash forward to today: Savoie and Komarov are running deep, both for the 2nd straight year. One of them already has a Mem Cup.

Rochester has Neuchev, Wahlberg, Johnson, Levi, Ostlund, Rosen, Kulich, and Metsa (sign him god dammt!) all contributing game one.

I didn't see the Roy, Pommer, Vanek group in Roch, but this talent wave has to be right there.
Roysie and pommer came up out of the lock out and were killing penalties in OT in the postseason. That was a great group.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Volts take the lead 3-2 with under 8 to play in the third. It seems like he's playing every other shift.

Edit: Drummondville holds the lead and win 3-2.

Last edited:

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Possibly. I like how he defends and his mobility is okay for his tier, he's just very stiff looking. I hope his future is as an NHLer.
Stiff. That's the word I was looking for when I posted about his skating eons ago. Stiff is much more what I was seeing. You are a wordsmith. 👊

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Possibly. I like how he defends and his mobility is okay for his tier, he's just very stiff looking. I hope his future is as an NHLer.
Locks

Dahlin
Power
Byram
Samuelsson

Likely

Johnson
Strbak

Good shots

Novikov
Komarov
Metsa*
McCarthy

draft one of the big 6, and best I've felt about our d depth in a long, long time

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Toggled over to the Moose Jaw game and missed Victoriaville scoring their 2nd to tie the game with about 6 minutes left in the third.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Hopefully Komarov is more like Luneau or Chabot and less like the last Sabre pick to win this award… Leduc.
I wasn't watching AHL games back then but I remember being pretty gassed about Leduc from his Q stats and I remember thinking his puck skills looked promising at prospect camp up at Dwyer. Why didn't his game translate to the A? Skating?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wasn't watching AHL games back then but I remember being pretty gassed about Leduc from his Q stats and I remember thinking his puck skills looked promising at prospect camp up at Dwyer. Why didn't his game translate to the A? Skating?

The toughness of soap bubbles?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
The toughness of soap bubbles?
Lol. Plenty of high scoring softies at least score at the AHL level. Especially on the backend where they don't need to get dirty to take 30 ft slappers. 7 pts in 48 games is just so bad for a guy that hits nothing. Just peeking at that roster will quickly give a person pause about hope for the future of the Sabres based on prospect hype. Yikes. It's a who's who of busted promise.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Lol. Plenty of high scoring softies at least score at the AHL level. Especially on the backend where they don't need to get dirty to take 30 ft slappers. 7 pts in 48 games is just so bad for a guy that hits nothing. Just peeking at that roster will quickly give a person pause about hope for the future of the Sabres based on prospect hype. Yikes. It's a who's who of busted promise.

At least Jerry D'Amigo's back in the fold, right? Right...? :cry:

Seriously though, some of those Murray run teams are frightful.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Can the QMJHL defenseman of the year play in the NHL next year?

Zachary Bolduc and James Malatesta have already played games in the NHL, and Nathan Gaucher's turn should come next season. But there is another former Memorial Cup champion with the Remparts who may find himself in the NHL sooner rather than later: Vsevolod Komarov.

There is something absolutely fascinating about the progression of the 19-year-old Russian defender.

From the shy and reserved young man who arrived in Quebec in October 2021, he has become a real force on the ice and has just been named defenseman of the year in the QMJHL.

Fascinating, since nothing indicated such progression when the Remparts claimed him 31st in the CHL European draft in 2021. In the midst of a pandemic, the Remparts had to rely on video sequences and rely on word from his agent, Sasha Tyjnyck.

“We saw a player who was very consistent, who was not spectacular but who defended well. [...] We did not know if he would become a quarterback with us but we knew that he would be a constant player,” told the head recruiter of the Remparts at that time, Christian Vermette, to the Journal last June.

Ready next year?

For Tyjnyck, there was no doubt that the Remparts had made an excellent pick.

“He was one of the best young defenders in Russia. We knew his potential, but credit to Patrick Roy and his coaches in Quebec for taking him to another level. In Drummondville, he also had a lot of opportunities to develop,” he said on Thursday.

For the agent, we should not rule out a scenario where Komarov would already get games in the NHL next season.

“He will have to have his best summer of training but I think he can be ready next year. It's a tough league but another client of ours, Pavel Mintyukov, demonstrated that it was possible to play in the NHL at a young age. Komarov is a sixth-round pick but rank no longer means anything.”

A thunderbolt

Obviously, a player's agent will not belittle his client. But the idea that Komarov could play games in the NHL next year is shared by several people.

In Drummondville, we love it. Voltigeurs general manager Yannick Lemay speaks about him with stars in his eyes. During an informal discussion during an intermission of Wednesday's match, he admitted to having a “hockey crush” for Komarov since last year.

He had seen Komarov play in the playoffs with the Remparts, despite an injury that would likely have forced several players to miss games, and was convinced that he was a missing piece to his puzzle. He was right since Komarov established himself as the true general of the Voltigeurs defensive brigade.

Lemay, a former NHL scout, remains cautious before predicting that he will play in the NHL next year but he is convinced that once established in the big league, he will play there for a long time. And many people think so too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad