Injury Report: Updates In 1st Post | Clean Out Day

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
In the post game, Sully said Hunwick is concussed.

It sounded like he said it happened in practice? Did anyone catch that?

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
10.21.17 | Post Game @ TBL
Another bigger issue that played Saturday involved Carter Rowney, who had his best game of the season and scored a goal Friday in South Florida. Rowney hurt his hand blocking a shot in the first period and did not return. Sullivan said he'll be evaluated back in Pittsburgh. Source

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Since it's been three days for Rowney, my guess is he's meeting the doctors to see if it's surgery or not, or bad news versus really bad news.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
I kept missing all but the last second of that replay. Who threw the elbow on Schultz?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You know, it was only a matter of time before we ran into some serious injury issues on this team.

It's 10 games in and we've seen a slap shot to the mouth, 2 concussions, a broken hand/wrist and the first month isn't even freaking over yet.

I just hope they don't plug in Trotman. You can't roll with that and I don't care if people think Trotman has NHL experience so it should be fine. Trotman is not a PMD, he's more Cole/Hunwick than he is a puck moving defenseman. This is where you need another puck mover in the line-up on the blueline to help out Letang and Maatta. Also, a freaking right handed shot (yes I know Trots is one).

I'd rather see...

Dumoulin, Letang
Maatta, Bengtsson
Cole, Ruhwedel

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You know, it was only a matter of time before we ran into some serious injury issues on this team.

It's 10 games in and we've seen a slap shot to the mouth, 2 concussions, a broken hand/wrist and the first month isn't even freaking over yet.

I just hope they don't plug in Trotman. You can't roll with that and I don't care if people think Trotman has NHL experience so it should be fine. Trotman is not a PMD, he's more Cole/Hunwick than he is a puck moving defenseman. This is where you need another puck mover in the line-up on the blueline to help out Letang and Maatta. Also, a freaking right handed shot (yes I know Trots is one).

I'd rather see...

Dumoulin, Letang
Maatta, Bengtsson
Cole, Ruhwedel

People get,right, why we're so injured? It's not a fluke. Someone commented about Vegas' injuries. Well, they're trying to play the same way as the Pens--uptempo with a lot of shot-blocking. The playoff style hockey we played against EDM is not sustainable for 82 games. The entire AHL team will be up here at some point. How can we adjust the system to both play solid defense and continue to rack up points without playing their playoff and shot blocking style? Big question. Lot of other players hit by pucks last night who are likely already playing injured--Kuhn, Letang. Watch

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
People get,right, why we're so injured? It's not a fluke. Someone commented about Vegas' injuries. Well, they're trying to play the same way as the Pens--uptempo with a lot of shot-blocking. The playoff style hockey we played against EDM is not sustainable for 82 games. The entire AHL team will be up here at some point. How can we adjust the system to both play solid defense and continue to rack up points without playing their playoff and shot blocking style? Big question. Lot of other players hit by pucks last night who are likely already playing injured--Kuhn, Letang. Watch

There'd be more weight to that if the Pens hadn't been incredibly injury prone under Bylsma and Johnston, and if shot blocking wasn't common league wide. You also have Hunwick getting concussed in practice, Schultz getting elbowed and Hornqvist recovering from a hand injury we don't know how he got.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

I'd rather see...

Dumoulin, Letang
Maatta, Bengtsson
Cole, Ruhwedel

I was wondering about Bengtsson as a call up. The little I saw in preseason he impressed. My first thought last night however was that Trotman would be the call up.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There'd be more weight to that if the Pens hadn't been incredibly injury prone under Bylsma and Johnston, and if shot blocking wasn't common league wide. You also have Hunwick getting concussed in practice, Schultz getting elbowed and Hornqvist recovering from a hand injury we don't know how he got.

I'm not saying they weren't injured previously but they were for different reasons. Of course they happen in hockey...Sid with concussions, Geno with ACL/knee. The injuries we are seeing now are in large part due to shot blocking, and that's why there are so many. Horny's hand was due to a shot block also....

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm not saying they weren't injured previously but they were for different reasons. Of course they happen in hockey...Sid with concussions, Geno with ACL/knee. The injuries we are seeing now are in large part due to shot blocking, and that's why there are so many. Horny's hand was due to a shot block also....

Was it or was it a slash or net front casualty? But not a tonne.

This season

Shot block: Cole, Rowney
Not shot block: Hunwick, Schultz

Last season
Shot block: Bonino, Cullen's foot, Hornqvist's concussion (maybe, could have been from a goal post). Was Kunitz' lower body from a shot block? Probably Dumoulin's hand and Cole's hand in the playoffs but those could have also been slashes. Hornqvist's hand apparently.

Not shot block: letang's neck, Maatta's hand, Crosby's concussions, Dumoulin's jaw, daley's knee, Schultz's concussion, Schultz's ribs, sheary's eye, sheary taking a puck to the arm, sheary's concussion, Guentzel's concussion, ruhwedel's wrist, Kuhnhackl's groin, Pouliot's knee, Murray's WCoH hand, murray's hamstring, murray's tweaked whatever, Cole's ribs, Hornqvist's other concussion

Malkin had whatever, I can't remember. Hagelin broke his leg somehow, Rust had some assorted things

How many of those are pace related either?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad