Vladislav Tretiak....

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey_00*

Vladislav Tretiak​

Never played a game in the NHL yet many believe him to be one of the greatest hockey goalies of alltime.......How do you think he would have done if he played fulltime in the NHL?......Where do you think he ranks among alltime Goalies?...Was he as good as guys like Dominic Hasek and Patrick Roy?

Reactions: Fixxer

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
monkey_00 said:
Vladislav Tretiak​

Never played a game in the NHL yet many believe him to be one of the greatest hockey goalies of alltime.......How do you think he would have done if he played fulltime in the NHL?......Where do you think he ranks among alltime Goalies?...Was he as good as guys like Dominic Hasek and Patrick Roy?

I think he would have been alright and possibly one of the best. He had extremely strong fundamentals, good lateral movement and quickness. He has his critics for sure, like Bobby Clarke, who called him overrated, but I really do think he would have lived up to the hype.

It's too bad the Red Army and Tikhonov wouldn't let him leave USSR, because Serge Savard, the Habs GM at the time, had him all ready to come over. I think Tretiak retired later that year, out of spite for the Red Army.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
THN had a feature on this burning question in one of their post-lockout issues. The panel of judges declared that Tretiak's style of play, specifically how far he ventured out of the crease would make his effectiveness to drop.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
futurcorerock said:
THN had a feature on this burning question in one of their post-lockout issues. The panel of judges declared that Tretiak's style of play, specifically how far he ventured out of the crease would make his effectiveness to drop.
Yeah, right.

Let's see, held his own against NHL All-Stars as a 20 year old in '72, Held the '75 Canadiens to three goals despite being outshot 38-15, MVP of the '81 Canada Cup... geez, he would have been *terrible* in the NHL.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
There's a thread around here which discusses how average he was at times and how chocked in some big games, and has played surprisingly average behind incredible skaters at times.

Can anybody recall that thread?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We had another thread about this, but IMO Tretiak is the most overrated player in all of hockey.

I'm of the opinion that if Tretiak played in the NHL from say 1972-84, he'd have been a nice goalie, but not among the games very best.

During that time period I'd certainly have Dryden, Parent, Esposito and Smith ahead of him.

monkey_00*

Benton Fraser said:
I think he was a very good goaltender.... but why the hell did you capitalize TRETIAK.....

............because I just finished selecting him in our alltime draft that's why........it will be interesting for everyone to see how you rank the Goalies at the end of draft #3 especially when you consider that I also have Dominic Hasek on my team. :D

acr*

If he went to the NHL, the league's history would be so different over the past 20 years.

What was it, '84 or '85 when he almost went to Montreal?

If that deal went through, would the Habs have traded that young prospect in Roy they had in the system?

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
monkey_00 said:
............because I just finished selecting him in our alltime draft that's why........it will be interesting for everyone to see how you rank the Goalies at the end of draft #3 especially when you consider that I also have Dominic Hasek on my team. :D

At this point probably at the top or near the top.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
acr said:
If he went to the NHL, the league's history would be so different over the past 20 years.

What was it, '84 or '85 when he almost went to Montreal?

If that deal went through, would the Habs have traded that young prospect in Roy they had in the system?

Tretiak retired in 1984 ... he was a Dryden contemporary, not Roy.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
John Flyers Fan said:
Tretiak retired in 1984 ... he was a Dryden contemporary, not Roy.

I don't think Dryden was the young prospect he was thinking of.

Hmm, let me see...maybe it was ROY.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
I don't think Dryden was the young prospect he was thinking of.

Hmm, let me see...maybe it was ROY.

Why would Tretiak have changes what the Habs thought about Roy in any way ???

Tretiak's last season was 1983-84

Patrick Roy was drafted in 1984.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
moneyp said:
Yeah, right.

Let's see, held his own against NHL All-Stars as a 20 year old in '72, Held the '75 Canadiens to three goals despite being outshot 38-15, MVP of the '81 Canada Cup... geez, he would have been *terrible* in the NHL.
hey i'm just the messenger, talk to THN if you have any objection.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Yeah but had Tretiak played in the NHL, his stats would have been pretty much meaningless. I mean he played in the 1970's and early 1980's, and as you all know the NHL was a Canadian-American league with a few Swedes.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:

Tretiak retired in 1984 because that year was the year the Soviets denied him from leaving the country. He probably still had 4-5 years left in him, as he was only 32 at the time he retired.

I read an article some years ago that did suggest that if Tretiak went to the Habs, the plans for Roy could have been different. Serge Savard tried very hard to get him considering the Habs had poor goaltending at the time (Soetart and Penny were there I believe)

Here is an interesting article about Tretiak from the Toronto Star I found:

Last edited:

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:

Tretiak turned 32 years old in 1984. It was often a practice of the Soviet Union to force players to retire in their early 30's.

I kind of agree with you about Roy, but it is possible that a great performance by Tretiak would have caused Savard to draft someone else with their fourth pick, 3rd Round 51st overall.

monkey_00*

David Puddy said:
Tretiak turned 32 years old in 1984. It was often a practice of the Soviet Union to force players to retire in their early 30's.

I kind of agree with you about Roy, but it is possible that a great performance by Tretiak would have caused Savard to draft someone else with their fourth pick, 3rd Round 51st overall.

That would be a great "What If" Scenario.......What if Tretiak played for the Habs?...what would have happened to Patrick Roy's NHL career?

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
monkey_00 said:
That would be a great "What If" Scenario.......What if Tretiak played for the Habs?...what would have happened to Patrick Roy's NHL career?
Headline:

Vancouver wins the cup.

Not to say Van. would pull the trigger and pick Roy with the pick following the habs', but who knows?

Funnier:

St Louis wins the cup.

Vancouver and St Louis alternate a few picks after the Habs' pick, then they will pick again before he'd fall to Vancouver again, then Quebec.

To go further, had Roy not been a Hab, maybe the Kings would finally have a cup? Maybe it's fair to say that the world would be better without the Montreal Canadiens?

I kid, I kid :innocent:

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
Vancouver and St Louis alternate a few picks after the Habs' pick, then they will pick again before he'd fall to Vancouver again, then Quebec.

To go further, had Roy not been a Hab, maybe the Kings would finally have a cup? Maybe it's fair to say that the world would be better without the Montreal Canadiens?
The Blues did select a goaltender (Alan Perry) with the 56th overall pick, five places after Patrick Roy was selected. I don't know where Roy was on the scounting charts at the time though.

You mention the Kings. They selected a guy with their next pick after Roy was selected who has won a lot of games in his career, almost 300 in fact. The only problem is that Tom Glavine's wins have all been with the Atlanta Braves and New York Mets as a pitcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->