Vladimir Tarasenko (NHL) Discussion Thread (IV)

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
I mean at some point you probably get exhausted by having every guy on the ice make an exception for you. The whole opposing defense is making you their priority, the goalie is keeping you in the line of sight. I usually see 2 guys trying to block every shot he takes now... they still get through half the time they just don't get to the corners like he needs them to.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I mean at some point you probably get exhausted by having every guy on the ice make an exception for you. The whole opposing defense is making you their priority, the goalie is keeping you in the line of sight. I usually see 2 guys trying to block every shot he takes now... they still get through half the time they just don't get to the corners like he needs them to.

THIS is the situation now, and causing Tarasenko to try to do too much himself, as he doesn't trust his teammates to score when they are open.

The other forwards, and rushing defencemen need to get up ice faster, need to drop the cycling along the walls, and get more coordinated movements driving to the net, while teammates are also breaking free moving in a cross-ways direction through the middle of the ice, to receive a pass in the slot, or on the opposite side down low, or trailing the driving puck carrier to pounce on a rebound. The Blues just don't have enough presence around the goalmouth and in the high-scoring areas, and don't have movement through these areas to draw defenders from their enclosed box, and open up some operating space in those high-scoring areas.

Tarasenko drives and has no one in a scoring area to receive the puck when defenders are drawn to him. His teammates are on the outside, along the boards, and out by the points. So, he tries to make an extra move, and loses the puck, or is forced to make a shot that is destined to be an easy save for the goaltender, or blocked by a defender, instead of getting a pass off to a teammate, in turn drawing defenders to him, so Tarasenko can be open again for a better shot or a rebound attempt.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
THIS is the situation now, and causing Tarasenko to try to do too much himself, as he doesn't trust his teammates to score when they are open.

The other forwards, and rushing defencemen need to get up ice faster, need to drop the cycling along the walls, and get more coordinated movements driving to the net, while teammates are also breaking free moving in a cross-ways direction through the middle of the ice, to receive a pass in the slot, or on the opposite side down low, or trailing the driving puck carrier to pounce on a rebound. The Blues just don't have enough presence around the goalmouth and in the high-scoring areas, and don't have movement through these areas to draw defenders from their enclosed box, and open up some operating space in those high-scoring areas.

Tarasenko drives and has no one in a scoring area to receive the puck when defenders are drawn to him. His teammates are on the outside, along the boards, and out by the points. So, he tries to make an extra move, and loses the puck, or is forced to make a shot that is destined to be an easy save for the goaltender, or blocked by a defender, instead of getting a pass off to a teammate, in turn drawing defenders to him, so Tarasenko can be open again for a better shot or a rebound attempt.

The lack of drive to the net on this team is frustrating. All we know how to do is cycle - but after that we can't create a play off the cycle. We need a gameplan in the O-zone, and it's going to come from driving the net to draw defenders and open up some ice. If the opposition gives us the boards because they respect our cycle game, they can be in perfect position at all times to defend a shot. We have to drive the net and take defenders. If the defenders don't respect the shooter - great! We can take a shot, but if they do attempt to defend the play we need to have a passing option available at all times.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
The lack of drive to the net on this team is frustrating. All we know how to do is cycle - but after that we can't create a play off the cycle. We need a gameplan in the O-zone, and it's going to come from driving the net to draw defenders and open up some ice. If the opposition gives us the boards because they respect our cycle game, they can be in perfect position at all times to defend a shot. We have to drive the net and take defenders. If the defenders don't respect the shooter - great! We can take a shot, but if they do attempt to defend the play we need to have a passing option available at all times.

Rebound goals seem like a distant memory of the Tkachuk era.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
19 career playoff games and 14 goals! This guy is a big game performer. You guys are lucky to have gotten him at 16

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
Hi!
Made this video couple days ago. Thought i could share it with u Blues fans :yo:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Maybe its language barrier, but doesn't Tank sound bit tight ass or old-fashioned in couple questions?

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Maybe its language barrier, but doesn't Tank sound bit tight ass or old-fashioned in couple questions?

I don't really pick up anything like that, but he honestly seems physically uncomfortable. He's probably just tired, but maybe he had a difficult time hearing them or had a screwy gut from something he ate on the media tour. :dunno:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Its ridiculous he hasn't surpassed 40 goals. That is the most lethat wrist shot in the league. Guys like laine and Ovechkin have a better arsenal of shots but pure wrist shot is Tarasenko.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012

If Fabbri can transition to center, he will be a 70 point player playing between Schwartz and Tarasenko. There were so many beautiful plays in those clips where he set up Tarasenko for an easy goal. All I want is for Fabbri to stay healthy a full season.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I think he can. He plays feisty. He's quick. I can see him getting good at face offs. He definitely has the play making ability. He also can finish on his own. Here's to hoping he fits because that top line could be elite if he does.

Mar 6, 2012
I don't know where to put this, but it's too funny/awesome not to share.

My 8-year old son plays hockey here in St. Louis and Tarasenko made an appearance at his season opener party picnic deal. My son wanted him to sign something, but didn't have anything available so he had him sign his shirt. My (American) son was wearing a bright red shirt that says CANADA in huge letters and has the maple leaf flag underneath it.

So we now have a Canada shirt signed by Vladi Tarasenko along with a photo of him signing it and standing next to it posing. No one else seems to find this as humorous as I do, but you guys might.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Fabbri wont stick if Yeo has a Hitchcock mentality towards centers. Im no system designer but if they can shift the defensive forward responsibility towards Schwartz/Steen then Fabbri and Tarasenko/Schenn can focus going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad