Vladimir Karpov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
A definate unknown, how good is Karpov? From some of the scouting reports he seems like a Lauri Korpikoski type who has skill and an edge to his game. Is that a decent comparison? What is his game like and what are his strengths?

Also, where do you see him going in the draft?

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
He really made an impression on me. He's like the Steve Downie of Russian juniors. He's intense and nasty but he's a very powerful skater- an excellent stride and he goes into traffic with a vengeance. He lacks finish (I think he has a low panic point and loses the handle when in close) and doesn't make "wow 'em" plays when in tight though.

He is hard to guage because he only played a few games internationally this year (to the best of my knowledge). I'd take him in the late 1st round but 2nd is more realistic- though with the new 2-year Euro signing rule who can tell?

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
steblick said:
He really made an impression on me. He's like the Steve Downie of Russian juniors. He's intense and nasty but he's a very powerful skater- an excellent stride and he goes into traffic with a vengeance. He lacks finish (I think he has a low panic point and loses the handle when in close) and doesn't make "wow 'em" plays when in tight though.

He is hard to guage because he only played a few games internationally this year (to the best of my knowledge). I'd take him in the late 1st round but 2nd is more realistic- though with the new 2-year Euro signing rule who can tell?

Thanks for the response. I asked the same question to Woodlief:

What do you think of mystery man Vladimir Karpov? I've read that he's skilled and has a nasty edge to his game. What round do you see him going?

Kyle Woodlief: Teams are all over the map on him. He was tough to see often enough to get a full read on him. Based on his play in St. Petersburg in April, Red Line has him as a mid-rounder. But I know some teams have him as high as the second round on their boards. So it wouldn't shock me to see him go anywhere between the second and sixth rounds. A team with a good Russian scout (there aren't too many) who saw him play more often and got to interview him personally might be willing to step up and take him relatively high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad