Blue Jays Discussion: The Vladimir Guerrero Jr. injury overreaction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yep. gibby's on top of it. nice to see.

travis better wake up or he'll be riding pine when Donaldson comes back.

Reactions: Joel Ward

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
With the roller coaster ride we’ve been on with the Leafs it’ll feel good to relax and watch a ball game tonight.

Reactions: phillipmike

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
travis better wake up or he'll be riding pine when Donaldson comes back.

See, I'd rather he be sent down to get reps against live pitching in the minors than ride the pine in the majors.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Don't want to overreact to a small sample but Biggio off to a good start early on. .313/.414/.708 with 4hr 5(2b) 1(3b) 8bb 13so. So he's hitting for more power. Wonder if there's a swing adjustment or launch angle change. Probably a utility profile, but he's a lefty bat which we don't have a ton of.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
grandy is the steal of the offseason.

big shout out to the red sox' 3b coach for sending the runner home for the easy 3rd out in the 9th, with mookie coming up against a struggling osuna.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I sat in section 117 for tonights game. Right behind the new netting extension for the first time. Honestly it's so thin, I didn't even notice it. I appreciated the game more with how close I was. I enjoyed seeing the pitcher work, the sound, the speed of play.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Don't want to overreact to a small sample but Biggio off to a good start early on. .313/.414/.708 with 4hr 5(2b) 1(3b) 8bb 13so. So he's hitting for more power. Wonder if there's a swing adjustment or launch angle change. Probably a utility profile, but he's a lefty bat which we don't have a ton of.

The power surge is intriguing. If it ends up being real rather than just a hot streak, then his patience and plate discipline suddenly look like they may translate. It's hard to get by on just walking a lot when pitchers have no reason to fear throwing you strikes.

Speaking of walking a lot... Ryan Noda is having the weirdest start to the season. 22 BB (!!!) in 60 PA and already 7 SB against 0 CS (from a 1B prospect).

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
What are people's thoughts on Smoak? Yes, it's April. Yes, cold weather. Etc., etc. Humour me. Slower start relative to last season isn't BABIP-driven. His hard contact is down a bit. Hitting a few more ground balls. However, his plate discipline (including SwStr%) are the best they've ever been. He's swinging a lot less in general, so maybe he's gone a little too far in that direction?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
What are people's thoughts on Smoak? Yes, it's April. Yes, cold weather. Etc., etc. Humour me. Slower start relative to last season isn't BABIP-driven. His hard contact is down a bit. Hitting a few more ground balls. However, his plate discipline (including SwStr%) are the best they've ever been. He's swinging a lot less in general, so maybe he's gone a little too far in that direction?

What are your thoughts on Joey Votto?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

If Smoak continues to do what hes doing, his numbers will be better then next season. Understand that the entire lineup isnt together yet, once he has protection and bats were he should be his numbers will translate better then last season.

He is doing just fine right now.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Top 22 Prospects: Toronto Blue Jays | FanGraphs Baseball

Guerrero was identified as an elite talent years before the Jays signed him at age 16, exhibiting an advanced feel for hitting and raw power like his father. Unlike the elder Guerrero, Vlad Jr. has generally developed earlier — already looking too big for third base as a teenager and polishing his tools at a very young stage. Whether Vlad Jr. settles as a fringey third baseman or a first basemen/designated hitter is up for debate, but his easy plus hit and power tools (with ceiling for more) are not and will make his ascent to the big leagues a quick one

Kylie\Eric have Bichette with a 50 grade hit tool.......

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Come on, DJQ, I expect more of an effort than that from you. Votto has more of a track record, and he's on record as saying he'll just try things out for a month randomly, which can lead to variations in performance. Similar "veteran breakouts" from last year (Alonso, LoMo, etc) aren't doing so hot. I'm not equating Smoak to them, as I thought I made clear in my initial query that I was aware of small sample caveats. But that doesn't mean that a discussion can't be had. Did I really have to lay all that out? Don't make me unregister my name from the Quimby voting list, good sir.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Come on, DJQ, I expect more of an effort than that from you. Votto has more of a track record, and he's on record as saying he'll just try things out for a month randomly, which can lead to variations in performance. Similar "veteran breakouts" from last year (Alonso, LoMo, etc) aren't doing so hot. I'm not equating Smoak to them, as I thought I made clear in my initial query that I was aware of small sample caveats. But that doesn't mean that a discussion can't be had. Did I really have to lay all that out? Don't make me unregister my name from the Quimby voting list, good sir.

Was said in a less pointed way than it may have come off.

The message is roughly the same though. I'd give it through the end of May before I make any pronouncements one way or the other (for Votto, as well as all three guys mentioned, and including Chris Taylor and Cozart).

Specifically with Smoak, the trends in discipline should be viewed as a positive.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
The thing with Smoak is...he was a replacement level player for the first 8 years of his career, then had an excellent 3-month stretch in the middle of his 9th season, and was again a replacement-level player for the finals 2 months of the season. And he's 31.

He's certainly not killing us out there and his defense is a plus...and the internal alternative is Mo..so really our best course here is just to stay put and hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad