Blue Jays Discussion: The Vladimir Guerrero Jr. injury overreaction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I was moving around a lot during this game and watched some of the Yankees b’cast, listened to jays radio and watched Rogers feed on iPad, and one of those groups said that Gleyber Torres is the 4th youngest player to make his Yankee debut at 21 yrs 100 odd days.
Nowadays, that’s close to the prime of their careers.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think we learned in the offseason that there's a subset of fans who, for whatever reason, see the Jays as inherently flawed and are simultaneously completely incapable of seeing the same flaws in their opponents.

It's the epitome of pessimism, but pessimists always think they're just "telling it like it is" and they don't need to back up their opinions with any kind of evidence.

Absolutely. If we're going to take the Jays start as a grain of salt, take the Angels start the same way then because they're both projected to have similar records.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I’m on another sports board that has a few Braves fans and here a few quotes tonight from a thread about Joeybats signing with them. Evidently he may get called up this week.

“Please dear six pound baby Jesus. Would be awesome.”

“He signed with the Braves almost two weeks ago. He just finished his "rehab" assignment at single A and did well apparently. It's absolutely going to happen.”

Should I tell them about his fielding and bat last year or let them find out on their own?

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I’m on another sports board that has a few Braves fans and here a few quotes tonight from a thread about Joeybats signing with them.

“He signed with the Braves almost two weeks ago. He just finished his "rehab" assignment at single A and did well apparently. It's absolutely going to happen.”

Should I tell them about his fielding and bat last year or let them find out on their own?
Let them find out on their own, the way we found out about Vlad Sr when we gave him a minor league deal and he promptly showed he was over the hill

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I’m on another sports board that has a few Braves fans and here a few quotes tonight from a thread about Joeybats signing with them. Evidently he may get called up this week.

I'd let them find out about the fielding on their own. It's more fun that way since there's nothing quite like watching a fanbase lose its mind while a crippled old guy tries in vain to act like he can make the plays he made 5-10 years ago.

But I would tell them that last season he put up his worst power #s since his super crazy breakout/ascent to being a HR king.

Seriously, the last time he put up an ISO as bad as 2017, he was a slap-hitting utility guy for the Pirates.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
All in all we should all be hoping for the best for Bautista!! The guy gave it his all in Toronto and so what that age caught up to him.

I'm rooting for Bautista to still be a decent MLBer to close out his career. Here's hoping he proves us all wrong. The guy is a trooper and did enough for the city of Toronto. Anyone who wishes him anything other then success is really not a Jays fan. He's a Jay through and through.....always will be. One that will be in ring of honor in the not to distant future.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
All in all we should all be hoping for the best for Bautista!! The guy gave it his all in Toronto and so what that age caught up to him.

I'm rooting for Bautista to still be a decent MLBer to close out his career. Here's hoping he proves us all wrong. The guy is a trooper and did enough for the city of Toronto. Anyone who wishes him anything other then success is really not a Jays fan. He's a Jay through and through.....always will be. One that will be in ring of honor in the not to distant future.

Seriously the last five or whatever posts above this one are baffling. I hope Bautista crushes it in ATL.

Reactions: Kurtz

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Seriously the last five or whatever posts above this one are baffling. I hope Bautista crushes it in ATL.

Yeah, it would be different if he had signed with a division rival or something, but even then I would still want him to dominate and the rest of the team to suck.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004

Agreed! I hope he at least does well enough to keep playing in the MLB as long as he can

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Some people just dont get it. Probably only started watching baseball in 2015 when the Jays became relevant again. Not true fans of the team and sport which Bautista represents.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don’t see any post wishing him bad luck. Like everyone else, I wish he was still here, especially for only 1 mill.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm not cheering against bautista or anything of the sort. I'm pointing out that he wasn't just bad last year, he was quite possibly worse than he ever had been at any point in his career, and certainly worse than he was after his crazy ascendant HR king seasons with the Blue Jays. Whether I want him to succeed or not, he looked broken last year and some vaguely positive reports out of minor league rehab games aren't about to assuage all my concerns. Nor am I going to ignore what my own strong opinions and feelings about his previous play and what that means going forward be clouded by emotional wants. Characterizing my post as anything other than that is incorrect and a little insulting.

Granted though, it's not as insulting as sidelong assertions that I, or others, are somehow not "real" fans because we're not cooing and swooning over Bautista and hoping/expecting that he's going to return to glory in Atlanta. Or that it represents some kind of assurance that we must be bandwagoners or something. That's just asinine.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Who should we send down when JD's back?

Gurriel is probably the first man on the chopping block... Or maybe Hernandez.

That is unless they have a trade or feel like firing Morales into the sun.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Who should we send down when JD's back?

Gurriel Jr.

Gurriel is probably the first man on the chopping block... Or maybe Hernandez.

That is unless they have a trade or feel like firing Morales into the sun.

I don't think Teoscar is going anywhere.

Devon Travis on assignment. The guy needs minor league at bats.

April 2018: .140/.218/.160 (.185 wOBA / 9 wRC+ / .020 ISO)
April 2017: .130/.193/.195 (.178 wOBA / 0 wRC+ / .065 ISO)

May 2017: .364/.373/.646 (.422 wOBA / 167 wRC+ / .283 ISO)

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Travis on assignment to get his swing right would be my guess. That along with a trade or release of Morales would do wonders for the ball club.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
April 2018: .140/.218/.160 (.185 wOBA / 9 wRC+ / .020 ISO)
April 2017: .130/.193/.195 (.178 wOBA / 0 wRC+ / .065 ISO)

May 2017: .364/.373/.646 (.422 wOBA / 167 wRC+ / .283 ISO)

Yeah, Travis is going to be just fine. So is Grichuk.

The contact issues for Travis are a little more concerning because that wasn't an issue for him last year, but people are overreacting to a 15 games sample from a player who missed the last four months of the season last year.

Barring another injury in the meantime, Gurriel will go down when Donaldson gets back.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Yeah, Travis is going to be just fine. So is Grichuk.

The contact issues for Travis are a little more concerning because that wasn't an issue for him last year, but people are overreacting to a 15 games sample from a player who missed the last four months of the season last year.

Barring another injury in the meantime, Gurriel will go down when Donaldson gets back.

Yeah, I'm not sure people quite understand how important reps against live pitching are. What's silly is the idea that you've likely already lived through the trough with Travis, and then will send him down for the upswing, then magically say the demotion helped him "clear his head" or some other nonsense like that, and bring him back up.

Stanton went 4 for 4 yesterday after looking like Ryan Goins for three weeks. The worm turns.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Team Old

CF Pillar 29
RF Granderson 37
LF Pearce 35
3B Donaldson 32
SS Tulowitzki 33
2B Solarte 30
1B Smoak 31
C Martin 35
DH Morales 35

UT Espinosa 31
UT Leblebijian 27
UT Ngoepe 28
C Maile 27

Team Young Prime

CF Alford 23
RF Grichuk 26
LF Pompey 25
3B Diaz 27
SS Gurriel 24
2B Travis 27
1B Tellez 23
C Jansen 23
DH Teoscar 25

UT Biggio 23
UT Smith 25
UT Lopes 24
C McGuire 23

Team Baby

CF Palacios 22
RF Young 20
LF Taylor 19
3B Hiraldo 17
SS Bichette 20
2B Warmoth 22
1B Guerrero 19
C Adams 22
DH Noda 22

UT Smith 21
UT Pruitt 21
UT Vicuna 20
C Danner 19

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, I'm not sure people quite understand how important reps against live pitching are. What's silly is the idea that you've likely already lived through the trough with Travis, and then will send him down for the upswing, then magically say the demotion helped him "clear his head" or some other nonsense like that, and bring him back up.

Stanton went 4 for 4 yesterday after looking like Ryan Goins for three weeks. The worm turns.

It's basically the "Player X doesn't do well as a leadoff hitter" argument.

Pillar is at the bottom of the lineup and goes on a ridiculous hot streak for a few weeks and has great numbers. So he moves to leadoff and his hot streak ends and he slumps for a week or two. So they move him back down to the bottom and he starts hitting well again. And there you have it... "Pillar just can't hit in the leadoff spot!"

I mean... Pillar is obviously not a leadoff hitter regardless. But it's really easy to make random fluctuations look meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad