Blue Jays Discussion: The Vladimir Guerrero Jr. injury overreaction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Anybody want to share their favourite Opening Day memories?

Here are mine:

1995: Only time I've been there in person. The strike was over. The Jays had just traded for David Cone. The team (technically) was the defending World Series Champions. Everything looked to be in place to be a playoff team in the new wild card format. Jays blew Oakland out of the water 13-5. I think they scored 11 runs in the second inning. It was a glorious start to a miserable season (they finished last and everybody left as a free agent during the winter).

1988: The whole spring had been controversial. MVP George Bell was moving to DH. Lloyd Moseby was moving to left. Phenom Syl Campusano was the new centre fielder. Bell was mad at this turn of events and clubbed three homeruns that day. I was just a kid, but it was one of those days where it felt like everybody in the country was watching that game.

1992: In Detroit. Me skipping school to watch on TV. Jack Morris on the hill. Dave Winfield was at DH. The team was built to win the World Series and looked like it meant business from the get go (they started 9-1). Morris won with a complete game. Winfield drove in the first run.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not a bad looking team. It will be the first Opening Day game I actually watch, and the first time I am going to watch them this year.

Kind of funny I only start actually caring once they are expected to decline. I guess I am a reverse band-wagoner :laugh:

I wonder if Grichuk would get a shot at the cleanup spot at some point...

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Anybody want to share their favourite Opening Day memories?

Here are mine:

1995: Only time I've been there in person. The strike was over. The Jays had just traded for David Cone. The team (technically) was the defending World Series Champions. Everything looked to be in place to be a playoff team in the new wild card format. Jays blew Oakland out of the water 13-5. I think they scored 11 runs in the second inning. It was a glorious start to a miserable season (they finished last and everybody left as a free agent during the winter).

1988: The whole spring had been controversial. MVP George Bell was moving to DH. Lloyd Moseby was moving to left. Phenom Syl Campusano was the new centre fielder. Bell was mad at this turn of events and clubbed three homeruns that day. I was just a kid, but it was one of those days where it felt like everybody in the country was watching that game.

1992: In Detroit. Me skipping school to watch on TV. Jack Morris on the hill. Dave Winfield was at DH. The team was built to win the World Series and looked like it meant business from the get go (they started 9-1). Morris won with a complete game. Winfield drove in the first run.

Ya might want to explain what a complete game is to some of the young uns that weren’t born in 92.

I remember the opener in 92. I was living in Queens Quay working on Bay St.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
The only good home opener memory I can recall is seeing them get the rings in ‘94. On the whole, I detest home openers.

I rememeber watching Eric Hinske light it up in the ‘02 opener in Boston.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I only been to 1 opening day game and it was 2013 after the Marlin/Dickey deal and it was an awful experience. Was in the 500 sitting next to some drunk fans and Dickey was pretty awful and Arencibia had something like 4 pass balls.

My fondest ones off the top of my head were recent because the others dont jump out at me being that long ago. I liked 2011 and 2012; 2011 was a gem from Romero and us scoring tonnes of runs and 2012 was scoring a few runs in the top of the 9th against Cleveland in that really cold game to tie it and then 3 runs in the 16th to win 7-4. Looking at the box score Arencibia had great opening days in 2011 and 2012 and we won and a bad one in 2013 and we lost. Clearly Arencibia is the key and he just got a Jays related job... Must mean success today!

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I only been to 1 opening day game and it was 2013 after the Marlin/Dickey deal and it was an awful experience. Was in the 500 sitting next to some drunk fans and Dickey was pretty awful and Arencibia had something like 4 pass balls.

My fondest ones off the top of my head were recent because the others dont jump out at me being that long ago. I liked 2011 and 2012; 2011 was a gem from Romero and us scoring tonnes of runs and 2012 was scoring a few runs in the top of the 9th against Cleveland in that really cold game to tie it and then 3 runs in the 16th to win 7-4. Looking at the box score Arencibia had great opening days in 2011 and 2012 and we won and a bad one in 2013 and we lost. Clearly Arencibia is the key and he just got a Jays related job... Must mean success today!

I remember watching 2013 on TV and, even though it was only one game, it felt like there was something off about the team almost from the first pitch of the season (which, I'm pretty sure, JP whiffed on). I look back and the first game seemed to set the tone for the entire miserable season.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Ya might want to explain what a complete game is to some of the young uns that weren’t born in 92.

I remember the opener in 92. I was living in Queens Quay working on Bay St.

In 1992, I think I was at the 10th game of that opening streak. Morris got lit up and the Jays were behind and walked it off in the 9th inning for a 7-6 win to start the season 9-1. A bunch of us skipped school and drove down for the game. I remember leaving and walking back to the car and sitting in traffic was my uncle with his father-in-law. I remember it clearly because my friend "didn't go the bank" (there were ATMs then, but they weren't used widely) the night before and spent the day mooching money off of me.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
The only good home opener memory I can recall is seeing them get the rings in ‘94. On the whole, I detest home openers.

I rememeber watching Eric Hinske light it up in the ‘02 opener in Boston.

Seems like a really odd thing to detest. How can a baseball fan not like the first game of the season?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Sitting with a bunch of louts who apparently forgot how to handle their alcohol over the winter isn’t an enjoyable experience.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
AL East-Yankees
AL Central-Indians
AL West-Astros
WC1-Twins
WC2-Angels
NL East-Nationals
NL Central-Cardinals
NL West-Dodgers
WC1-Rockies
WC2-Cubs

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I’m hoping we get off to a good start.

The entire 2017 was a complete shit show, the only time we were st .500 was opening day.

Embarrassingly bad :facepalm:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I remember the 2013 opener very well. I was so excited for that year. Turned into a huge dud.

Watching JP catch Dickey was hilarious.

You just weren't taught how to appreciate him properly for things like hitting home runs and playing even when he was obviously hurt and a detriment to the team. Damn Rogers for not educating you to be a proper fan... :sarcasm:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Personally i think he could whatever he wants in baseball.. it is just up to him. Exec, GM, Players Rep President... just so well spoken and well liked.

I was sitting beside a Tigers fan this spring and he said we would love Grandy for what he does on and off the field.
He hit a lead off HR that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->