Value of: Vitek Vanecek

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Can he still be traded before the expansion draft? There is a good chance WAS loses him in the expansion draft but they will want him around for the playoffs as Samsonov has been very unreliable this year.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Well... no salary coming back, but picks or prospects are fine... so what's your offer? Isn't gonna break the bank, but Caps need something real in return or they take their chances in the expansion draft.

I'm guessing Seattle takes Oshie. Which hurts, but is tenable with the flat cap.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Can he still be traded before the expansion draft? There is a good chance WAS loses him in the expansion draft but they will want him around for the playoffs as Samsonov has been very unreliable this year.
Yes, trades can take place now but the traded players wouldn't be eligible to play until next season.

The trade deadline is for teams to register and finalise their rosters for remainder of the season.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Yes, trades can take place now but the traded players wouldn't be eligible to play until next season.

The trade deadline is for teams to register and finalise their rosters for remainder of the season.
OK. So I don't see why Vanecek would be traded before the end of the playoffs. So we're talking here a trade after the playoffs. He's an RFA with one more year left on his contract. I think a lot depends on how he performs the rest of the way. If he seizes the number one job in WAS and carries them far into the playoffs, his price would be higher than if he were just the backup or splitting starts.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well... no salary coming back, but picks or prospects are fine... so what's your offer? Isn't gonna break the bank, but Caps need something real in return or they take their chances in the expansion draft.

I'm guessing Seattle takes Oshie. Which hurts, but is tenable with the flat cap.

You guys not going to protect him?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Given his age, RFA status, and the way he’s playing this season? To entice WSH he’d cost the Grubauer price without the Orpik tax.

Considering how many teams need a proven young goalie, he won’t be cheap. The Avalanche are one of the Absolute Worst positioned teams to trade for him. Keep in mind you aren’t bidding against the ED, you’re bidding against The League.

For what little he costs in contract $$, he’s worth in assets based on his play. Also factor in that if the Capitals trade VV, they’re practically guaranteed to lose a valuable player to the ED and this is an exercise in near-futility.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

there is a window between cup finals end and expansion draft freezes here players can be traded before rosters are set.

during this time they will be talking to Seattle on who they could ask thrm not to take and at what cost

Reactions: 42

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014

They can play what's left of the regular season, but not the playoffs.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Hard to put a value on him at this point. Will be dependent on whether him or Samsonov gets the start in the playoffs and how they perform.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czechs have it tough in Washington.lol Gudas is gone, Kempny is out, Vrana is gone and now we're talking about trading Vanecek? For the love of Pivonka, make it stop!

copperlion

Aug 6, 2019
I just realized Vanecek is only a year older than Samsonov and has better numbers in North America. Which goalie is Washington going to keep?

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Hard to put a value on him at this point. Will be dependent on whether him or Samsonov gets the start in the playoffs and how they perform.

Agree with this. In a vacuum, I'd probably say a pick in the 25-40 range. But yes, a lot depends on how the season ends. If he starts and plays well in the playoffs, it all depends on whether or not Caps still think Sammy is the future...

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The Jagr Curse
He was over a ppg player dammit.lol

upload_2021-4-15_11-28-22.png

If you guys trade Vanecek, you may as well throw in Has as well.haha

Attachments

• upload_2021-4-15_11-27-48.png
    upload_2021-4-15_11-27-48.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 2

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don't see how the Avs do not get grubs back and not acquire a legit starter if he's gone. I can see something like Frankie plus a 2nd for him though. Once again giving us a young 1B goalie with potential to subplant grubs in a few years.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
As a Czech hockey fan I'm sure you're aware that despite his point totals, neither Jagr, the Capitals, or any Capital fans are happy with his time here.
I was just cracking a joke.. however, those numbers would put him 3rd in NHL scoring today. Different time but back to back 30 goal seasons with a .ppg average are rare today. For playing like shit, it's pretty good! I dare say he had the greatest shitty seasons in history.haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad