Vitaly Aanikeyenko

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
whatever happened to him? drafted by the Ottawa Senators in i believe the 2nd round of either 05 or 04. He came over to play in the ADT Russia vs. Canada challenges and really stood out there for the right reasons. From what i remember, he was a big boy, 6'4 220 lbs, with a booming shot and was rated very high as one of the best european prospects heading into his draft. Any updates on his status? How has he been playing in Russia and is there any chance Ottawa brings him over the pond? Whats his future potential?

any info woul be appreciated. he was always one of my favorite prospects.

RussianProspects

Feb 14, 2003
www.russianprospects.com
He is still playing for HC Lokomotiv and had a surprisingly good season last year. He was consistently in the club's lineup. I think he fell off before last season and came back on strong , so hopefully is back in business. I am not sure when he would be projected to come to North America, but, as always, a lot depends on his performance during this upcoming season.

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
I think Ottawa took him in the third round in 2005. As a result, I think they need to sign him before June 1, 2008 to retain his rights - not sure about how European draft picks work anymore.

At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't come to North America for a long time, if at all. I understand he's a quality player though.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I think Ottawa took him in the third round in 2005. As a result, I think they need to sign him before June 1, 2008 to retain his rights - not sure about how European draft picks work anymore.

At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't come to North America for a long time, if at all. I understand he's a quality player though.

With no Russian transfer agreement, I don't believe there is any deadline to retain the rights of Russian players. It's the only saving grace in this whole fiasco.

Because the top end Russian prospects have a pretty good financial situation in the RSL, Ottawa probably won't be able to convince Anikeyenko to come over unless the chances are high that he'll be on the main roster.

As a 20 year old, that isn't going to happen soon for Ottawa. With 6 full time NHL defenceman on the roster as it is, and, some heavy competition in the Sens minor league system just to be the first call-up, it makes little sense for Anikeyenko to make the leap over. I'd love for him to come over and commit himself to develop in the AHL, and learn the North American game, and, compete for a spot here gradually, but, it isn't the reality right now for Russian players.

Next year though, things could be very different. There may be some overhauls on the Sens defence (Redden's contract is up) and, after a year, we may have a better sense of where some of our other D prospects are likely going to end up, and, it may push the need to bring Anikeyenko over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->