Visitor's Locker Room (Ticket talk, Restaurants, Fantasy Questions, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Panther's fan here.

I may be potentially moving to DC in a couple of months to start a new job. My job is located near L'Enfant Circle. I am 28 and single and would like to enjoy the city life.

My questions are:

What are the best areas of town for going out ?

What are good restaurants/bars in DC ?

What area(s) of town are within 20 minutes commute to L'Enfant circle, but are reasonably price rent-wise ? How much rent is reasonable for 1 br apt ? I intend to use the metro to commute to work.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
Is there still roller hockey at 1600 Penn during lunch hour? Those were the days!

Re: best areas for going out- depends on what you like, H Street NE, U Street NW, Adams Morgan (18th Street), DuPont, Georgetown. Plenty of options.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
We should probably update this thread with food truck options at some point. A fad or a craze it might be, but there are some excellent options among the bunch, and many tailgate at the region's sports teams.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Panther's fan here.

I may be potentially moving to DC in a couple of months to start a new job. My job is located near L'Enfant Circle. I am 28 and single and would like to enjoy the city life.

My questions are:

What are the best areas of town for going out ?

What are good restaurants/bars in DC ?

What area(s) of town are within 20 minutes commute to L'Enfant circle, but are reasonably price rent-wise ? How much rent is reasonable for 1 br apt ? I intend to use the metro to commute to work.
I'm assuming you mean L'Enfant Plaza, as I'm pretty sure L'Enfant Circle doesn't exist.

Most popular areas to go out in DC are Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Georgetown, and to a lesser extent Penn Quarter/Chinatown and Capitol Hill.

In Northern Virginia, the most popular are Clarendon, Ballston, Rosslyn, Courthouse, Crystal City, and Old Town.

All of the places have a slightly different vibe, so it depends what you're looking for.

As for the restaurants and bars, there are a ton, so it depends what you're looking for. A nice place to sit down and eat, a no-frills dive with great food, a good happy hour spot, a good place to lounge and drink cocktails, etc.

If you are working in L'Enfant Plaza, you're a straight shot up the yellow line on the Metro from Pentagon City, Crystal City, Old Town, and Huntington. Basically if you follow the yellow line south from L'Enfant Plaza, you'll have plenty of residential options at any of the stops except Pentagon and Reagan National.

"Rent' and 'reasonable' aren't really two words that belong together in the DC area, You should expect to pay $1600+ a month for a 1 bedroom if you want anything within a reasonable walk to the Metro.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Had their lobster roll a couple of weeks ago. Good stuff.

The shrimp roll is tasty, too (and close to half the price)

Good idea about updating the early posts in this thread (not that people always read it, but helpful just the same).

Any ideas other than food trucks (which is definitely a great addition to the city and to this thread)

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Hello there!

Im a big time Devils fan and I'm coming for the first time in my life to USA to stay with some relatives in DC. Going to a Devils' game has been one of the things i have always wanted to in my life and now I have the opportunity to do so on Nov. 12th when they come to town.

Well, my question is in what kind of price range are the tickets in Verizon Center? I doubt they are compareable to the prices we have over here, so i dont have a clue. I tried to check at the Caps' website but they havent released the ticket sale yet. So is there any kind soul that could tell me a little about the prices and where the seats are? Thanks

sldyer1

Nov 6, 2008
Hello there!

Im a big time Devils fan and I'm coming for the first time in my life to USA to stay with some relatives in DC. Going to a Devils' game has been one of the things i have always wanted to in my life and now I have the opportunity to do so on Nov. 12th when they come to town.

Well, my question is in what kind of price range are the tickets in Verizon Center? I doubt they are compareable to the prices we have over here, so i dont have a clue. I tried to check at the Caps' website but they havent released the ticket sale yet. So is there any kind soul that could tell me a little about the prices and where the seats are? Thanks

I don't know if the Capitals website is your best approach. They may be sold out... You may be able to get tickets below face value elsewhere. I recommend stubhub.com::

http://www.stubhub.com/washington-capitals-tickets/capitals-vs-devils-11-12-2011-1122548/

Since it's a Saturday night game you'll have to pay more. Read earlier posts in this thread for more websites to look for tickets.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
I don't know if the Capitals website is your best approach. They may be sold out... You may be able to get tickets below face value elsewhere. I recommend stubhub.com::

http://www.stubhub.com/washington-capitals-tickets/capitals-vs-devils-11-12-2011-1122548/

Since it's a Saturday night game you'll have to pay more. Read earlier posts in this thread for more websites to look for tickets.

Thanks man! Do you recommend me to buy these tix so early in advance? Or are any tickets available closer to the actual game day?

sldyer1

Nov 6, 2008
Thanks man! Do you recommend me to buy these tix so early in advance? Or are any tickets available closer to the actual game day?

Wish I could tell you. Tickets prices fluctuate and Saturday night games are popular.. If the Caps are playing poorly prices seem to go down. There are usually scalpers too; I hear the tickets get cheaper after the puck drops (if any tickets are left).

I'd also check Craig's List, that saves you fees..

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Hey guys...I'm looking to go to the NYR/Caps game on November 25th. I'll be taking the amtrak in. How far is Union Station from the verizon center? Is it within walking distance? If not, what method of transportation is the best to get to the center? Thanks for any help.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Hey guys...I'm looking to go to the NYR/Caps game on November 25th. I'll be taking the amtrak in. How far is Union Station from the verizon center? Is it within walking distance? If not, what method of transportation is the best to get to the center? Thanks for any help.

About a mile walk. You can also take the metro (red line) if you didn't feel like walking.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

Metro is the best way from Union Station to Verizon. It's only 2 stops on the red line to Gallry Place/Chinatown. I wouldn't walk from Verizon to Union Station after the game.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
About a mile walk. You can also take the metro (red line) if you didn't feel like walking.

Metro is the best way from Union Station to Verizon. It's only 2 stops on the red line to Gallry Place/Chinatown. I wouldn't walk from Verizon to Union Station after the game.

Thanks guys. I'll get in around 1 so I may walk to the arena and see whats on the way. I'd definitely take the metro after the game. Is there a stop right at Union Station? Also, where can I get the stop by the center? Thanks guys this is much appreciated.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Thanks guys. I'll get in around 1 so I may walk to the arena and see whats on the way. I'd definitely take the metro after the game. Is there a stop right at Union Station? Also, where can I get the stop by the center? Thanks guys this is much appreciated.

Union Station is, well, Union Station.

Verizon Center is Gallery Place/Chinatown, literally on top of the station.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Is there no way of buy e-tickets so i could print them out? I mean come on, i dont want to pay for tickets + shipping to Europe, thats nuts! I've closed on a date of my arrival in DC, mid September, do you people think that as late as September there would be decent tickets for the Devils @ Capitals game on 12th of November?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Is there no way of buy e-tickets so i could print them out? I mean come on, i dont want to pay for tickets + shipping to Europe, thats nuts! I've closed on a date of my arrival in DC, mid September, do you people think that as late as September there would be decent tickets for the Devils @ Capitals game on 12th of November?

I'd imagine you could do Will Call. You'd be able to pick them up at the arena.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Alright, and how exactly do i do that?

There are sites where you can do e-tickets, I assume there isn't an issue with international, but you'd have to confirm with the site. Buyer risk buying through the sites and you will be paying more than face value, I'd assume.

I don't know if it is active yet for 2011-12 season, but the 'safest' way to buy a ticket on the secondary market is through the Caps authorized ticket seller, which last year was TicketExchange. This is an electronic ticket and guaranteed by the team (if they keep this service) to be a valid ticket to the game.

If you wait for Caps individual games to go on sale and buy a ticket - if you want a single only, you might be able to do it that way for a single or a pair, but better chance with a single, but no guarantees - you usually have an option to choose will call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad