Visiting Ottawa and CTC/Tickets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
Hey northern friends. My friends and I were thinking of going to Ottawa for the Bruins-Senators game the end of October, saturday the 30th. From what it looks like to me Scotia Bank is far from downtown and the hotel selection looks kinda weak. I was hoping you guys could give me better help. I have been to Toronto but never Ottawa. Thanks guys, your grateful Bostonian yank.

Staying at a hotel near the arena is about as good an idea as going to a NY Giants/Jets game and staying near the Meadowlands.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Downtown Ottawa is beautiful, I would stay there and take one of the many buses that go to ScotiaBank Place. It's a journey but its part of the Sens game day experience now :laugh:. I think the bus is the 404. Anyways, if you REALLY want to stay in Kanata, the Brookstreet is a good choice. You'll be in the same hotel as the Bruins so you might be able to get some autographs.

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
I would compare kanata to newark then the meadowlands.

Ridiculous comparison. Newark was founded in the 1660s, Kanata in the 1960s. Newark has a downtown, historic neighborhoods, campuses to at least three major universities, ethnic enclaves - just a ton of history and character (even if it is rundown). Kanata is just mindless suburban sprawl of the like you could find in any poorly planned city.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Ridiculous comparison. Newark was founded in the 1660s, Kanata in the 1960s. Newark has a downtown, historic neighborhoods, campuses to at least three major universities, ethnic enclaves - just a ton of history and character (even if it is rundown). Kanata is just mindless suburban sprawl of the like you could find in any poorly planned city.

Its not the same as newark but its sort of the same idea on a smaller scale with not much history.Kanata is not perfect but its not in the middle of no where there is alot of devlopment planned so things will get better.

Last edited:

Lexicon Devil

Apr 21, 2002
Are you really that familiar with New Jersey? There are plenty of boring housing developments, crappy chain restaurants, and big-box retailers within a few miles of the Meadowlands... just like SBP. That is why I made the comparison. Newark, on the other hand, is a real city, and while far from America's greatest city, shares nothing in common with the sprawling suburbia of Kanata.

I'm sure people like living in Kanata, for whatever reason. But I can guarantee that a visitor wouldn't want to spend anymore time than necessary there (unless perhaps they were a golfer). In fact "there is no there there." The center of the 'city' you are comparing to Newark is a giant parking lot. Maybe you should direct the Boston guy there so that they can go to Boston Pizza.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Are you really that familiar with New Jersey? There are plenty of boring housing developments, crappy chain restaurants, and big-box retailers within a few miles of the Meadowlands... just like SBP. That is why I made the comparison. Newark, on the other hand, is a real city, and while far from America's greatest city, shares nothing in common with the sprawling suburbia of Kanata.

I'm sure people like living in Kanata, for whatever reason. But I can guarantee that a visitor wouldn't want to spend anymore time than necessary there (unless perhaps they were a golfer). In fact "there is no there there." The center of the 'city' you are comparing to Newark is a giant parking lot. Maybe you should direct the Boston guy there so that they can go to Boston Pizza.

Kanata is a good area there are penty of reason why people like living there.Be it the countless golf courses the tons of bike paths and ski paths to the stores and resturants its one of canadas fastest growing communitys.Maybe comparing it to newark was not the best thing but my point is kanata is not as bad as some make it out to be.With in 5-10 years from now when all the devlopemtn is done people will be saying or most will be upset because there are to many houses to many malls and to many hotels etc.Again kanata is not perfect but its not the middle of no where.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Visiting for a Game

Hey, I'm just dropping in with a few questions. I'm thinking about trying to make a game up in Ottawa this year. I go to school right near the St. Lawrence seaway, and have been meaning to get to a game for the past few years. I would be going to a Canes game, probably the one in October early in the season.

So a few questions- is that likely to be sold out if I don't get tickets in advance? If so, how far in advance should I try and get them?

Do the sens have a student discount? If so, can I get that pre ordering or can you only get it walkup?

Also, seat location. The game I'm looking at is classified Bronze, and I'm not looking to spend more then $60 for a ticket. That can get the second deck ends at best, it looks like. They look like good seats, but I do notice the standing room only option. Has anybody ever done that, and how's the view? Is there a designated section, and if not, how picky are the ushers about letting you sit in vacant seats (if any)?

Also, how are the food and beer prices (and parking?)

Thanks for your time.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
a canes game isn't likely to be sold out, you'll likely have your pick of seats if you're going single ticket. (depending on the ever changing pricing scheme of any given game which confuses the **** out of me)

don't be afraid of the third bowl as there are no bad seats in the building. The corner seats are the bottom of the barrel but it is all relative. I've sat everywhere in that building and have never had a bad seat.

If you're looking for convenience stay at the holiday inn select in Kanata. It's a decent, fairly priced hotel, close to the Scank and meters away from the hub of a limited Kanata night life.

this thread will soon be merged with a master thread and there should be loads of info for ya :)

Hope you enjoy the city!

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I won't be staying overnight. It's a two hour drive, I figure I'll go up midday and spend the afternoon beating around town and drive back after the game. Especially since I have classes the next day.

And yup, flat out missed the master thread. Pinned, even.

Kekumba

Jan 24, 2008
Ottawa
Food and beer is expensive as usual, and the food isn't anything special (just your average arena food) unless you want to spend $10+ or go to one of the sit down places. Beer is $7-10, I can't remember. Parking should be $10 or $11.

The Big Swede*

Im not sure if this is the right place for this but I was just wondering if any of you guys would know which date the single game tickets go on sale.I heard some rumblings about Sept 11th....just want to make sure!

I was thinking about going to the game on November 27th and also Jan 1st.Unfortunately, I wont be in town to purchase the tickets right away,should I expect the good seats to be sold out(I was looking at pretty much anywhere near the 200s)?

Thanks to all

Kekumba

Jan 24, 2008
Ottawa
The November ones will be on sale on the 11th, the January ones later on some time. They're not going to sell out right away, so don't worry about that. Maybe you won't have as big a selection in the 200's if you were to wait a few weeks, but there should still be plenty.

The Big Swede*

The November ones will be on sale on the 11th, the January ones later on some time. They're not going to sell out right away, so don't worry about that. Maybe you won't have as big a selection in the 200's if you were to wait a few weeks, but there should still be plenty.

Alright thanks ill be back on the 13th and was planning to go buy them,so I guess I shouldn't have much of a problem

Backwards67

Oct 17, 2006
Going to the Home Opener, (as a Leaf fan it's laughable, about half the tickets are still available today) As well, I expect it to be quiet there, at least we have a reason in the ACC, half of our lower bowl are all suits, haha. Sit up in the rafters and we'll be loud.

I will say watching a game on the Island (NYI) was like seeing a London Knights game, smaller/older arena, alot more white/women people there and all the men are drinking as they should be.

So where is the pre/post game action for a sens game ?

What things would you guys recommend to do in the city ?

P.S. I'll be wearing a non-sens jersey, probably a Sabres jersey since they are playing them. I'll let my cousin wear the Sens jersey. (I have almost every jersey in the NHL, when your a Leaf fan, you have to go on road trips to enjoy winning teams, hahaha)

HabsGirl55

Mar 23, 2004
Montreal,Quebec
Ottawa Hotels near/ Around Scotiabank place?

Hi Everybody

So im new but old here.. sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I'm heading to Ottawa for the game vs The Habs next month.. was wondering if anybody had any area/ hotel suggestions for where to stay.

I know the city fairly well.. dont need tip there.. just a good place to stay that could be near the arena.. or a hotel thats easy to get too and from the hotel

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

This

That
Jul 31, 2010
Around.
Hi Everybody

So im new but old here.. sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I'm heading to Ottawa for the game vs The Habs next month.. was wondering if anybody had any area/ hotel suggestions for where to stay.

I know the city fairly well.. dont need tip there.. just a good place to stay that could be near the arena.. or a hotel thats easy to get too and from the hotel

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Look here, it has a lot of information, it's also the best place to ask if you can't find what you are looking for.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=558939

utah

Apr 12, 2006
You could stay at the Holiday Inn in Kanata that's a 5 minute drive from the rink.

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/ottawa/yowow/hoteldetail

There's also a Comfort Inn in Kanata if you want to pay less than the Holiday Inn, or the Brookstreet Hotel in Kanata if you want to pay more.

All 3 are fairly close to the arena, but not necessarily walking distance. More like a 5 minute drive.

There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance of the Holiday Inn, as it's near a large retail complex....and a couple of bars as well.

Or you could stay downtown, at any number of hotels.

ULoveMe

Nov 29, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Holiday Inn. It has a decent restaurant called Graffitis (not sure thats how its spelled) and there are others nearby, most notably baton rouge behind bestbuy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->