Visiting Ottawa and CTC/Tickets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awesomeakel

Feb 16, 2016
Quick question, going to the match against avalanches 3 march.
Is IT easy getting a taxi after the game? Or is There some place to sit down and have some drinks while the crowd diminish?

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Quick question, going to the match against avalanches 3 march.
Is IT easy getting a taxi after the game? Or is There some place to sit down and have some drinks while the crowd diminish?

There are a few bars that stay open at the arena for a while after the games. So you can definitely do that.

Taxi's line up outside the main gate, so they are pretty easy to catch. right after the game though, they do get hung up in the traffic which cause the fare to inflate quite a bit.

Awesomeakel

Feb 16, 2016
Thanksgiving for the tips :)
Some beers It is then! I am not in a Hurry, going to visit the teamshop as well.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
Hey guys,

I'm bringing my Peewee hockey team to Ottawa next week for a Tournament and we are going to the Sens/Flames game on the 26th (Thursday). My question is, is it easier to drive to the CTC or is there a shuttle/bus we can take.

We are staying at the Hampton Hotel (100 Conventry, Gloucester).

There will be roughly 25 of us if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!

If you are going to have to make the trip from Gloucester to Kanata, personally I would say that would leave you with 2 options: either drive there in cars (4-6 cars depending on the sizes for 25 people) or look into renting a bus for the night. The only other option you could really have is to take public transport but trying to supervise a group of 25 may prove very difficult. Also, with where the arena is located, public transportation can be a pain after a game as they will not leave until the game is done and will only be available as an option for roughly 30 minutes after the game.

If you guys are already renting cars or have your own cars I would say that your best bet would be to simply drive to the arena. Parking in any of Lots 5,6, or 9 will cost you $15 per car and will likely be your cheapest option. Two things I will add, due to the poor planning of these lots, I would get to the game as early as you can. (if you are close to game time you may be stuck in traffic trying to get in the parking lot) Secondly, following the game, no need to rush out to your cars as the traffic leaving will likely be thick for 10-20 minutes (depending on the attendance for the game) so you can leisurely make your way to your cars as you would just spend that time sitting in your car barely moving anyway.

I mentioned renting a bus as an option although for that one you would have to look into the cost of doing this. The only part I can tell you is that for parking (Lot 6), a large bus would cost $40 and a small bus would cost $30. (No idea the size needed to fit 25 people) I would only consider that option if you guys either do not have any cars in Ottawa (rented or owned) or if you guys would be coming in a bunch of separate cars (parking fee would climb very quickly) then the fee for a bus may be cheaper but barring either of these situations, you are likely better off simply driving to the arena.

If you have any questions, just PM me.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hi Senator fans!

My husband and I will be visiting your lovely city next month for the Islanders/Senators game, and I was hoping you folks could give me some pointers on various subjects.

1. We are big craft beer people, IPAs/Double IPAs being our favorites. There seem to be a lot of breweries in the area, are they any that you would specifically recommend we try?

2. Are there any areas in the city that we should avoid visiting/staying? And areas that you would specifically recommend?

3. We will be driving up on Friday and were planning on staying near the arena, as the game is at 1PM. There do seem to be hotels around there, but are the bars, restaurants, etc as well?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. My favourite breweries in town are Beyond the Pale and Tooth and Nail. They are both close enough together to visit one after the other (by car). I would say that they offer the most variety of craft beer in town.

http://beyondthepale.ca/

http://toothandnailbeer.com/

Pub Italia is my favourite beer bar and it's fairly close by as well on Preston Street.

If you're looking to do a bit of a beer tour, those three locations would be my recommendation. However, they are not walking distance from downtown or the arena.

Other beer bars in town include Craft (at the football stadium) and Biermarkt (downtown). The Mill St. brew pub is another nice location relatively near to downtown but I wouldn't say that their beer is nearly as good. It really depends on how much driving/Ubering you want to do.

2. Downtown is probably the best place to visit/stay, but it seems as if you are staying near the arena. The downtown area has the Byward Market (which is chock full of restaurants and bars) as well as Elgin St. (which is typically a bit of an older crowd - 30+). Brothers Beer Bistro has a pretty good beer selection in the Byward Market. Elgin Street has some neat restaurants and bars like El Camino.

Obviously there are a lot of landmarks downtown as well, but the city is under quite a bit of construction in anticipation of the festivities associated with Canada's 150th birthday.

The world famous Rideau Canal (it should be frozen) is the world's largest skating rink, also downtown, and it's a lot of fun to visit. Rent some skates, and skate down the waterway all the way to Dow's Lake, and grab coffee, hot chocolate and a Beaver Tail (pastry) along the way. You'll have to dress warmly or luck into one of the milder winter days.

3. Currently, Ottawa's arena location (Kanata) is not that close to downtown (relatively speaking) and it will take a 15-25 minute drive to get downtown when it isn't rush hour.

However, there are some restaurants and bars in Kanata to cater to the people who live there as well as the Senators fans who pour in on game days/nights.

I would recommend Central Bierhaus on Terry Fox Drive if you're looking for beers/food before or after the game. It's partially owned by Chris Neil, and has a pretty good draft list and excellent German food (schnitzel, sausages, etc.). It's not easy getting in and out of the shopping complex on Terry Fox because of the bizarre traffic patterns, but the place is near the movie theater.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
1. My favourite breweries in town are Beyond the Pale and Tooth and Nail. They are both close enough together to visit one after the other (by car). I would say that they offer the most variety of craft beer in town.

http://beyondthepale.ca/

http://toothandnailbeer.com/

Pub Italia is my favourite beer bar and it's fairly close by as well on Preston Street.

If you're looking to do a bit of a beer tour, those three locations would be my recommendation. However, they are not walking distance from downtown or the arena.

Other beer bars in town include Craft (at the football stadium) and Biermarkt (downtown). The Mill St. brew pub is another nice location relatively near to downtown but I wouldn't say that their beer is nearly as good. It really depends on how much driving/Ubering you want to do.

2. Downtown is probably the best place to visit/stay, but it seems as if you are staying near the arena. The downtown area has the Byward Market (which is chock full of restaurants and bars) as well as Elgin St. (which is typically a bit of an older crowd - 30+). Brothers Beer Bistro has a pretty good beer selection in the Byward Market. Elgin Street has some neat restaurants and bars like El Camino.

Obviously there are a lot of landmarks downtown as well, but the city is under quite a bit of construction in anticipation of the festivities associated with Canada's 150th birthday.

The world famous Rideau Canal (it should be frozen) is the world's largest skating rink, also downtown, and it's a lot of fun to visit. Rent some skates, and skate down the waterway all the way to Dow's Lake, and grab coffee, hot chocolate and a Beaver Tail (pastry) along the way. You'll have to dress warmly or luck into one of the milder winter days.

3. Currently, Ottawa's arena location (Kanata) is not that close to downtown (relatively speaking) and it will take a 15-25 minute drive to get downtown when it isn't rush hour.

However, there are some restaurants and bars in Kanata to cater to the people who live there as well as the Senators fans who pour in on game days/nights.

I would recommend Central Bierhaus on Terry Fox Drive if you're looking for beers/food before or after the game. It's partially owned by Chris Neil, and has a pretty good draft list and excellent German food (schnitzel, sausages, etc.). It's not easy getting in and out of the shopping complex on Terry Fox because of the bizarre traffic patterns, but the place is near the movie theater.

I rarely agree with this guy above, but he's absolutely right about the beer.

I'd add, however, Waller St. Brewery if you're in the Byward Market/DT area. Consistently good stuff -- you can drink on the premises (something you can't do at Beyond The Pale). No absolute highlights (compared to Beyond the Pale's Saison Tropicale, or Tooth And Nail's Vim and Vigor), but everything is good at worse.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Speaking of which... is there any way to quick-reference this thread (and very specific points of it) on the Habs board? We do get questions on "What's in Ottawa/Gatineau area" quite a bit on the Habs board, and I'm afraid the pool of users with good knowledge of the Kanata area is quite slim.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Speaking of which... is there any way to quick-reference this thread (and very specific points of it) on the Habs board? We do get questions on "What's in Ottawa/Gatineau area" quite a bit on the Habs board, and I'm afraid the pool of users with good knowledge of the Kanata area is quite slim.

Do you mean in terms of bars etc around the rink.

westsideconnect

Oct 20, 2007
What are the chances of trading 2 pairs of tickets not together for 3 tickets together outside the building? I have 2 tickets in the 100's and 2 up in the Molson Canadian box up top. There's only 3 of us going though and we'd like to sit together ideally.

Anybody who might happen to read this and be willing to trade/make a deal it's the game vs the Jets on February 19!

Hammer030303

Jan 6, 2017
Farmingdale, NY
I rarely agree with this guy above, but he's absolutely right about the beer.

I'd add, however, Waller St. Brewery if you're in the Byward Market/DT area. Consistently good stuff -- you can drink on the premises (something you can't do at Beyond The Pale). No absolute highlights (compared to Beyond the Pale's Saison Tropicale, or Tooth And Nail's Vim and Vigor), but everything is good at worse.

Thank you both so much for responding! This is some great information!

We ended up doing a hotel downtown for two nights rather than one by the arena, it just seemed easier.

We can't wait to check out all the local beer! And the game, of course. :)

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
A buddy and I are making a trip down to ottawa to catch s 67s game.. My question is any good sports appearel stores that sells nhl jerseys and other nhl non jersey stuff in ottawa? Like a sports obsession kind of store

ISensFanI

Sep 2, 2006
Ottawa
Tickets for tonight

Hey sorry if we're not supposed to sell tickets on here, but I'm in a tight spot. I got some tickets and my buddy bailed so I'm looking to sell them quickly.

I have two 100 level tickets. Row O, seats 13 & 14. looking for only $50 each. $100 total. Inbox me for pickup details.

Sorry again if not supposed to sell here.

mbraun

Feb 7, 2017
Hi. I"m taking my gr12 son on a final grad trip, watching the Jets play in Montreal on the 18th and in Ottawa on the 19th. I have Bell centre tickets (I think they sell out pretty regularly) but had read that the CTC has many (like thousands) of empty seats this season.

Has that been true the last month? any predictions on a Jets game on the 19th? I can't imagine everyone is stoked to see the Jets!

I'm trying to decide if I should buy
a) Sens resale, maybe save a few $
b) McDonalds section for $39 and maybe move to empty seats somewhere
c) off kijiji and try and make sure I"m not getting scammed
d) off a forum where people know each other (like this one) and have a reputation as opposed to some mysterious kijiji seller.
e) stub hub the day before or morning of the game.

I also read that stub hub tickets were around $10-$15 (cheap seats probably) for this week's games with the Blues and Stars. I can't imagine the Jets would be a bigger draw. The difference is that family day is on the 20th so maybe the 19th is a hot day for families to stay out?

Any suggestions or possible ticket options would be much appreciated!
p.s. we're going to skate the canal from Dows to downtown in the afternoon before heading to the rink. can't wait!

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
Hi. I"m taking my gr12 son on a final grad trip, watching the Jets play in Montreal on the 18th and in Ottawa on the 19th. I have Bell centre tickets (I think they sell out pretty regularly) but had read that the CTC has many (like thousands) of empty seats this season.

Has that been true the last month? any predictions on a Jets game on the 19th? I can't imagine everyone is stoked to see the Jets!

d) off a forum where people know each other (like this one) and have a reputation as opposed to some mysterious kijiji seller.

I also read that stub hub tickets were around $10-$15 (cheap seats probably) for this week's games with the Blues and Stars. I can't imagine the Jets would be a bigger draw. The difference is that family day is on the 20th so maybe the 19th is a hot day for families to stay out?

p.s. we're going to skate the canal from Dows to downtown in the afternoon before heading to the rink. can't wait!

I went to the game last night against St. Louis, I imagine the Jets might have a bigger local fan base since its another canadian city but last night the 300 level tickets dropped to $9.00 on stubhub... I grabbed a pair down behind the visiting team goalie, 4 rows up from the glass for 70.00/ticket! kijiji has become flooded with resellers and most regular people selling are in it to make money or make their money back so the deals are not really there anymore ,IMO.
They are running a bit high at the moment but they will drop for sure, especially if the weather is bad.
Last night announced at 16k...there was no way that many people were there but yes there should be many thousands of tickets left day of, especially with the recent play. But its a chance you take, who knows if they land some big trade for the deadline that drives people back to the rink and demand up.
As for moving down others were saying that the ushers were enforcing people moving back to their assigned seats. I could not imagine why as it was pretty scattered up their. I am also not sure on the rules but another option could be the fan deck, bought top level 300 tickets and were able to head down there for standing room on the rail by the trucks on the 200 level with some drinks, its more open and gives a low level balcony feel with a great view but since your son is underage(probably?) not sure if it would be allowed in? They also kick you out for the third period since they no longer sell but we then just hopped down to a couple empty seats and were given no problems about it. Was a good time.

mbraun

Feb 7, 2017
jets game

Hey. thanks for the heads up and tips. I'll see what goes down, but am thinking about waiting a bit longer. If T.O. and Montreal don't sell out, then I would be very very surprised if WPG. would!

mbraun

Feb 7, 2017
Well, kept watching stub hub, and kijiji, and ticketmaster (with resale on) and found a set in 318 (corner) Row A. for little over half price. grabbed them right away. The stub hub prices were rising and a lot of the regular seats were disappearing. Kinda scared to wait so bought a $96 ticket for $57 (plus $10 handling fee). Excited to be at the front of the section. Go Jets Go! See you all there, just wave: I'll know its you!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, kept watching stub hub, and kijiji, and ticketmaster (with resale on) and found a set in 318 (corner) Row A. for little over half price. grabbed them right away. The stub hub prices were rising and a lot of the regular seats were disappearing. Kinda scared to wait so bought a $96 ticket for $57 (plus $10 handling fee). Excited to be at the front of the section. Go Jets Go! See you all there, just wave: I'll know its you!

300s row A is a great spot to watch the game.

Awesomeakel

Feb 16, 2016
I am going to arrive in Toronto from Europe before i take the train to Ottawa, but have quite a lot of luggage with me, do any of you guys know if there is anywhere close to the central station in Toronto where I can store some of it before traveling?

If I bring it all with me it will cost me in excess of 1300 Dollars... which I realy would like to avoid.

Hope some of you guys have some tips for me.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I am going to arrive in Toronto from Europe before i take the train to Ottawa, but have quite a lot of luggage with me, do any of you guys know if there is anywhere close to the central station in Toronto where I can store some of it before traveling?

You may want to ask the Leafs board.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

The last few months they have being closer to cap I would not say thousands of empty seats as for the game vs Winnipeg its very close to being sold out.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Hey everyone,

We are coming to Ottawa in March (16-20th). We already have tickets to the Sens/Habs game (SenaPred alliance!).

What would you all recommend doing while we are there? We are staying in Byward market. Any fun St. Patrick's day events?

SegzKnightlySpoons

Jun 16, 2011
Hey everyone,

We are coming to Ottawa in March (16-20th). We already have tickets to the Sens/Habs game (SenaPred alliance!).

What would you all recommend doing while we are there? We are staying in Byward market. Any fun St. Patrick's day events?

Cannot comment on the St. Patrick's day events but it sounds like you're in town just in time for the Stanley Cup Tribute, which may be of some interest to you:

http://www.ottawa2017.ca/events/signature-events/stanley-cup-tribute/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->