Visiting Minnesota? Everything you need to know here!

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Duluth is a pretty nice city (some incredible homes) and there are some things to do there but the reason to make the drive north is Lake Superior. I'd recommend an overnight though because it's definitely worth a drive a bit north of Duluth to see a park or two (Gooseberry Falls and Split Rock Lighthouse) and check out the beer scene. I think you have better restaurant options up the shore than in Duluth (but Northern Waters Smokehaus is terrific for sandwiches). Also taking Highway 23 part of the way instead of the freeway is a nice way to go.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Duluth is a pretty nice city (some incredible homes) and there are some things to do there but the reason to make the drive north is Lake Superior. I'd recommend an overnight though because it's definitely worth a drive a bit north of Duluth to see a park or two (Gooseberry Falls and Split Rock Lighthouse) and check out the beer scene. I think you have better restaurant options up the shore than in Duluth (but Northern Waters Smokehaus is terrific for sandwiches). Also taking Highway 23 part of the way instead of the freeway is a nice way to go.
My wife and I are spending 5 days up there next August. Our second honeymoon. Last time I was up there was when I was a kid some 50 years ago.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I'll likely be in your airport significantly longer than anticipated is there anything that you guys would recommend I do to pass the time

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Since it's in the middle of a snow and ice storm that shut schools today, then no.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
O. f*** knows. I just curl up in a ball and whimper at airports, myself.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
lmao **** me.

I'll just load up on caffeine for like 10 hours.

one can only hope it's still there

it's not - but you can get from the Duluth airport to downtown in 15-20 minutes, or to the mall in 10. For whatever reasons, the security there is bizarrely aggressive though.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The good news is that MSP was just named the best North American airport for the second year in a row (of a certain size apparently). Not that that gives you anything to do there. :laugh:

Josepho

Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Where you from in BC?

Vancouver, more specifically Delta/Surrey if you care that much.

Travelling to Philadelphia, which also happens to be getting absolutely f***ed by a snowstorm. Lucky me.

Never been to MSP so I don't know what to expect. Picked this as a layover since it was like 100 bucks cheaper than the Montreal and Toronto layovers.

I'm not exactly that loaded (I wanna spend under 2000 but I got like 6000 in spending money) and I'm 18 so a shit ton of hotels might reject me based on that.

Josepho

Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Turns out there's gonna be no delays, thanks to everyone anyways though.

Might I ask why the hell the first souvenir I saw when I got into the airport was a Packers hat?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Turns out there's gonna be no delays, thanks to everyone anyways though.

Might I ask why the hell the first souvenir I saw when I got into the airport was a Packers hat?
Ugh. I don't know why we try to please the sconnies.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
My wife and I are going on a second honeymoon and going to the North Shore. What’s an absolute must see and a hidden gem that most don’t know about. Thanks in advance.

ScJeff

Jun 15, 2010
Hey I'll be in MSP in May (9th to 14th) for Northern Invasion. Its a camping music festival. Any idea if theres a place there that rents tents? Flying and bringing a tent sounds like a hassle and it might just be cheaper to rent one. OR any HFboarders want to rent me one? lol

Ill have 3-4 days in Minnesota or western Wisconsin. Any recommendations on where to go with the girl? She loves fishing and any random sights you recommend.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Hey I'll be in MSP in May (9th to 14th) for Northern Invasion. Its a camping music festival. Any idea if theres a place there that rents tents? Flying and bringing a tent sounds like a hassle and it might just be cheaper to rent one. OR any HFboarders want to rent me one? lol

Ill have 3-4 days in Minnesota or western Wisconsin. Any recommendations on where to go with the girl? She loves fishing and any random sights you recommend.

I think you can rent tents at REI or you can buy one at Wal-Mart and just return it.

There's just a ton to do in the area, nice drives along the St. Croix. Too early for rafting possibly but that's popular. Parks abound, you can drive through the bluffs on the Wisconsin side. Visit Stillwater, or hang out in the Twin Cities on the Minnesota side.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Hello everyone!

I want to come visit for some Wild games this winter. I love the cold, and I figure St. Paul in the winter would be nice and fun to go to. I live in Buffalo now. From NYC originally. BUT I tried to open the blog in the OP before I realized it was 7 years old. SO, anything change? Anything peculiar to do leading up to games, or after them, etc? I most likely would be going it alone because very few friends of mine are as hardcore about hockey as I am and people here whine about the cold and traveling. So, really, two different scenarios are possible here. I come with a friend or I go alone. I guess I would like to see about what you guys think are great places to check out, or to dine at (not super fancy. I am 23 and eat anything) and do around the area. Prefer less touristy things if that makes sense... I appreciate any and all suggestions or pointers and would be cool to meet some local fans :)

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Hello everyone!

I want to come visit for some Wild games this winter. I love the cold, and I figure St. Paul in the winter would be nice and fun to go to. I live in Buffalo now. From NYC originally. BUT I tried to open the blog in the OP before I realized it was 7 years old. SO, anything change? Anything peculiar to do leading up to games, or after them, etc? I most likely would be going it alone because very few friends of mine are as hardcore about hockey as I am and people here whine about the cold and traveling. So, really, two different scenarios are possible here. I come with a friend or I go alone. I guess I would like to see about what you guys think are great places to check out, or to dine at (not super fancy. I am 23 and eat anything) and do around the area. Prefer less touristy things if that makes sense... I appreciate any and all suggestions or pointers and would be cool to meet some local fans :)

NYR doesn't play in MN until mid-March, so it's not usually brutally cold then.

If it was me planning a trip (without taking into account work schedule, money, or anything), to just watch some hockey, without really a rooting interest in either team; I'd plan it for the Jan 10th (Jets) game this year. The Jets/Wild games have the most intense (yet still friendly) atmosphere on a yearly basis, the Playoff match-up can only make it better. You could stay for the game on the 12th (Det) too, if you wanted.

There are the restaurants/bars close to the arena. I've always had a good time at any of them when I've downed a sarsaparilla or two.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
NYR doesn't play in MN until mid-March, so it's not usually brutally cold then.

If it was me planning a trip (without taking into account work schedule, money, or anything), to just watch some hockey, without really a rooting interest in either team; I'd plan it for the Jan 10th (Jets) game this year. The Jets/Wild games have the most intense (yet still friendly) atmosphere on a yearly basis, the Playoff match-up can only make it better. You could stay for the game on the 12th (Det) too, if you wanted.

There are the restaurants/bars close to the arena. I've always had a good time at any of them when I've downed a sarsaparilla or two.

Rangers don't need to be playing. I don't mind going to any game and wouldn't mind rocking my Proplayer Wild jersey in this case :D I would love to attend a couple of games so I will look into that. I can plan around my work seeing I have 3 weeks of time saved up. For me it's getting to experience atmospheres of each place and meeting fans/building friendships with other fans, even though that sounds corny and stupid. I've always been a... very hardcore hockey fan and while the Rangers are my team, I can appreciate every team. I feel like you guys have a passionate fanbase and would love to experience that.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Rangers don't need to be playing. I don't mind going to any game and wouldn't mind rocking my Proplayer Wild jersey in this case :D I would love to attend a couple of games so I will look into that. I can plan around my work seeing I have 3 weeks of time saved up. For me it's getting to experience atmospheres of each place and meeting fans/building friendships with other fans, even though that sounds corny and stupid. I've always been a... very hardcore hockey fan and while the Rangers are my team, I can appreciate every team. I feel like you guys have a passionate fanbase and would love to experience that.
The Xcel is a fantastic stadium. And actually, if you were on that March timeline for the Rangers, checking out the state high school hockey tourney would be a cool experience for a big hockey fan. I believe that's in early-mid March every year, so that would be a huge bonus if you stopped in at that time. The warning there is that I think it's tough to get tickets, and if you don't get them from the box office, you could potentially pay a larger amount from scalpers.

But yeah, Tom Reid's and Eagle Street are hockey bars very close to the X you could check out before/after the game.

Other random things depending on the time of year are the St. Paul Winter Carnival or Crashed Ice if it's back in St. Paul next year (not sure on that). The Mall of America of course if you're into that. Try a Juicy Lucy somewhere.

Also, it looks like the blog post is gone now? We should try to get that updated. There's still some good info on the first page though in other posts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad