Visiting LA? Where to go? What to do? Ask here

onlyalad

New rule: no goalies.
Jan 13, 2008
Travelling to Anaheim in early March and trying to convince my wife to go into LA for a hockey game. We will NOT have a car.....she is not convinced we should be in LA after dark, so if we even go we are leaning towards either of the afternoon games on March 3rd (Black Hawks) or March 10th (Blues). No idea how to get Staples Center from Anaheim (Disneyland area) though (and back to Anaheim after the game). I have been reading through this thread for advice and there is a lot of it out there just confusing reading the options and opinions.

I have been to a Ducks game, and if travel into LA is too expensive and/or too difficult I might just settle for that again...I would just like to see as many arenas/games as possible. Any advice is appreciated.
If it is an afternoon weekend game, take the metro train.
Picks up across the street from Ponda. Then take the subway several lines go close to staple
I think it is $10 for the whole day (both ways)
Fares and Passes

Red line is fairly safe, especially on game days, lots of fans.
I always suggest near Union Station hitting Philippe’s for a French dip if you have time
Go to the website above and do a trip planner.

Edit: looked it up
The last metro train south is 440
So you might have to take Amtrak surf rider
$16 each one way and leave at 5:10. 8:15 and 1010
So $26 a person (seniors are less) include subway
There may be other trains but they might cost more

Last edited:
Reactions: McHaNugYakEbNurDra

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
Blue Jacket fan coming in peace. I am going to be in the Oxnard area for a meeting this week and am staying at a hotel near LAX on Thursday night so I can catch my flight out on Friday morning. I had no idea that the CBJ were going to be playing the Kings Thursday night until I looked at their schedule yesterday. Now, I am thinking about trying to get a ticket on the secondary market and get to the game. How difficult is it to get from LAX area to Staples? Doesn't look too far on the map, but I have never been to LA before. What kind of transportation options are available...I assume it would not be too hard to find an Uber but are there other options? Thanks for any advice!

onlyalad

Jan 13, 2008
Blue Jacket fan coming in peace. I am going to be in the Oxnard area for a meeting this week and am staying at a hotel near LAX on Thursday night so I can catch my flight out on Friday morning. I had no idea that the CBJ were going to be playing the Kings Thursday night until I looked at their schedule yesterday. Now, I am thinking about trying to get a ticket on the secondary market and get to the game. How difficult is it to get from LAX area to Staples? Doesn't look too far on the map, but I have never been to LA before. What kind of transportation options are available...I assume it would not be too hard to find an Uber but are there other options? Thanks for any advice!
Uber is likely your best bet.
Subway, buses will take forever and going back to your hotel , may require Kevlar jersey.

Filibuster85

Mar 21, 2018
Flames fan here. I'm going to be in town for the upcoming Flames/Kings game and have been looking at getting tickets to the game off the secondary market as it seems to be priced better. The question I have is about the suites. Single tickets in one of these suites are going for around 75-90USD which is comparable to the tickets situated in the lower bowl behind the net. Am I better off going with one over the other? The suites seem to be quite high, is the view any good from there and do you get any perks for purchasing a ticket in one of them or am I better off just sitting closer in the main seating area?

Thanks in advance and don't worry and me being annoying at the game. It's hard to be a flames fan right now.

ps the suite tickets are not the "standing" room or "barstool" seats. They are advertised as suite#, GA then an actual seat#.

If you have any suggestions for good pubs or places to eat before the game I'd appreciate any tips!

Reactions: onlyalad

onlyalad

Jan 13, 2008
Suites have special entrance and nicer food options, shorter lines all around. The views are ok as well. You do feel a little out of the game; can’t hear crowd noise, glass on each side.
If you are getting a seat I suggest going for it.
Pre game go to LA Live / yard house. Lots of hockey fans that way you can park just once.
If you want Mexican food El Cholo is close by.

Reactions: Filibuster85

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Hey Kings fans,
I'll be out in LA in about two weeks. My wife and I are staying in Culver City and we've got a few questions
  1. We're currently not going to rent a car - is this a mistake or will we be fine relying on Uber/Lyft/Public Transportation?
  2. Speaking of Uber/Lyft, how pricey does it tend to be in the area? We've got a day or two for sight-seeing and were thinking about checking out the USS Iowa museum and either a Dodgers or Kings game - how much would a Lyft/Uber fare be from Culver City to either of these destinations?
  3. Any particular dining recommendations in Culver City?
  4. What's the best method for getting tickets to either game I'm interested in (Dodgers-Giants on the 1st or Kings-Avs on the 2nd) - regular sales, Stubhub and the like or what?

Reactions: onlyalad

onlyalad

Jan 13, 2008
1. If you are planning on leaving your hotel area, I would rent a car, at least on your free days . It would be cheaper and more flexible than Uber.

2. Uber from Culver City to USS Iowa is about $50 each way.

3, if you have ever seen my replies here you know Mexican food is coming your way now.
Casa Oaxaca. Or for PMF (pseudo Mexican food) Tito’s tacos

4. Don’t know about Dodgers game tickets but you will want to drive, no good alternative
Kings Avs on the 2nd right now I suggest Stub hub. If it is still critical to the playoffs it might get pricy. If you want really good seats the AXS site has PR seats for under 100
Depending where you are in Culver City you may want to take the Blue line to staples Center

Reactions: garnetpalmetto

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Thanks @onlyalad - on that recommendation we went ahead and rented a car, at least for the two days I'm free. I think we're going to opt for the Dodgers game over the Kings game owing to me needing to be up early Tuesday morning. That said I know there was a spate of violence at Dodgers games a few years ago. Has that generally gotten better? To be clear while I'm not a Dodgers fan, I tend to cheer the home team (unless the Pirates or Rays are the visitors) and also wouldn't be cheering against the Dodgers and kind of keep to myself (I'll usually wear a Durham Bulls hat) and score the game. If things have gotten better, any advice on seating? We generally like to be behind home plate so the Reserved and Top sections both appeal but reading about the ThinkBlue BBQ stand (and its elote) and Lasorda's Trattoria has me wondering if my the outfield's the way to go.

onlyalad

Jan 13, 2008
Thanks @onlyalad - on that recommendation we went ahead and rented a car, at least for the two days I'm free. I think we're going to opt for the Dodgers game over the Kings game owing to me needing to be up early Tuesday morning. That said I know there was a spate of violence at Dodgers games a few years ago. Has that generally gotten better? To be clear while I'm not a Dodgers fan, I tend to cheer the home team (unless the Pirates or Rays are the visitors) and also wouldn't be cheering against the Dodgers and kind of keep to myself (I'll usually wear a Durham Bulls hat) and score the game. If things have gotten better, any advice on seating? We generally like to be behind home plate so the Reserved and Top sections both appeal but reading about the ThinkBlue BBQ stand (and its elote) and Lasorda's Trattoria has me wondering if my the outfield's the way to go.
As long as you stay calm it should be fine. The issues happen when one (group) of idiot(s) meets another, usually booze has multiplied the stupidity. As long as you don’t get into a hated exchange and don’t feel the need to show anyone up, you should be fine: if you end up in a section with a group of trouble makers ask an usher if you can move. They usually will find you another seat if there is a safety issue.

Reactions: garnetpalmetto

laplemeafs35

Jul 31, 2007
Toronto
Hello! Leafs fan coming to LA for two weeks - I'm also a Kings fan - and I'm looking for the best sports bar to watch the Kings-Knights games, as well as a place that may show the Leafs playoff games? I'm staying in Los Feliz but will travel wherever I need to :)

member 263749

Hello guys! I'm coming to LA for 5 days in the end of May (leisure). I browsed a few pages of this thread so my to-do list is already pretty clear - thanks for all the contributors! Will visit at least Universal Studios, Getty, Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Walk of Fame, Olvera Street etc.

However, I'm wondering about the transportation. My plan is to rent a car, since everyone is saying that LA is huge and you're gonna need one. I'm a bit worried about parking though. I will stay in Koreatown but my accommodation doesn't have a garage. Google told me that there are plenty of overnight parking lots, but how do they work? How full are they usually, can I count on being able to just drive into one without booking ahead?

Also any other parking tips much appreciated.

Thanks!

bbcelite

Oct 11, 2009
Bavaria
Hey guys. I am right now in LA and was wondering if there is a good shop for picking up some merchandise (NFL NBA NHL), would love some help of you. Thx in advance

abparry87

Jun 11, 2010
Australia
Staying down in Santa Monica for a week and am seeing the kings and Ottawa game Thursday, just wonder best way to staples centre from Santa Monica is? Is the metro quite safe to and back from the staples centre before and after the game?

snake schneibler

May 4, 2016
Jets fan coming to Los Angeles in March. just a quick question on the cheapest way to get tickets to the king vs Jets and ducks vs jets in March. is it better to wait closer to game day? Does the arena usually sell out? any info would be appreciated!

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Jets fan coming to Los Angeles in March. just a quick question on the cheapest way to get tickets to the king vs Jets and ducks vs jets in March. is it better to wait closer to game day? Does the arena usually sell out? any info would be appreciated!

Do you care where you sit or just want the cheapest possible? Is it just you coming over? Right now I think it would be better to get tickets early because that game you want to go to is going to have a bobblehead giveaway. Since the team sucks this year tickets on the 300 level have been pretty cheap on resale sites.

Reactions: snake schneibler

onlyalad

Jan 13, 2008
Stub hub has tickets under $20 now. Under $60 for PR seats and under 70 for 10th row.
At those prices I would get the tickets now. Dont know if they will go up or down but, how much cheaper can they be?

Reactions: snake schneibler

dvst8r

Aug 18, 2011
I'll be coming for a game in March. I will have a rental vehicle. What is parking like around staples center? Is it worth it to get advanced parking?

Thanks in advance!

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Hey guys Flyers fan here,
I am a season ticket member and recently my lower lever seats were absorbed in a big renovation project at the Wells Fargo center. On top of that, they are raising ticket prices across the board. I am debating keeping the new replacement seats, but only if I think I can break even on them.
I’d really like to know:
Do you have lower level season tickets?
Do you break even in regular season or with playoffs?
Would you have broken even if you went to most of the games?
Thanks! Very much appreciate it!

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Does LA still paper tickets for season ticket holders? Trying to collect as many paper stubs from arenas as I can but more teams are going fully digital :thumbd:

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Hey Kings fans,
I'll be out in LA in about two weeks. My wife and I are staying in Culver City and we've got a few questions
  1. We're currently not going to rent a car - is this a mistake or will we be fine relying on Uber/Lyft/Public Transportation?
  2. Speaking of Uber/Lyft, how pricey does it tend to be in the area? We've got a day or two for sight-seeing and were thinking about checking out the USS Iowa museum and either a Dodgers or Kings game - how much would a Lyft/Uber fare be from Culver City to either of these destinations?
  3. Any particular dining recommendations in Culver City?
  4. What's the best method for getting tickets to either game I'm interested in (Dodgers-Giants on the 1st or Kings-Avs on the 2nd) - regular sales, Stubhub and the like or what?
1) get a car
2) see #1
3) we are one of the most ethnically diverse areas in the world. You will have anything and everything. We have better Mexican food than Mexico or any other place in the world. Eat a lot of Mexican food
4) buy ahead and then stubhub.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I'll be coming for a game in March. I will have a rental vehicle. What is parking like around staples center? Is it worth it to get advanced parking?

Thanks in advance!
No, there is plenty of parking and the further from the arena, the better . It is a very safe area now

Google Maps

This a building on Fig and 8th with a massive parking structure. It is usually $5-$10 and a very easy walk. Take fig past staples and make a left on 8th. lot will be on your left. Easy to see

someone labeled the lot
Google Maps

the entrance looks just like that from 8th

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
1) get a car
2) see #1
3) we are one of the most ethnically diverse areas in the world. You will have anything and everything. We have better Mexican food than Mexico or any other place in the world. Eat a lot of Mexican food
4) buy ahead and then stubhub.

You're about 18 months too late. Just as soon as I invent a time machine, I'll send your response to me in March 2018 (along with a few other key pieces of information) and be all the better for it. :laugh:

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Hello

I ll land on LAX around 1:30 pm, customs, rent a car, so i ll be on the road around 3 pm i hope, probably even later. I want to drive up to Malibu and at that hour i am probably screwed.

Anyway i was thinking Lincoln Blvd all the way, then left to San Vicente Blvd, first right to Entrada Dr, follow Entrada Dr until it connects to PCH.

Google maps wants me to take San Diego Fwy then left to Santa Monica Fwy.

I guess there's no good option at that hour but i am sure there are bad and worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->