Visiting LA? Where to go? What to do? Ask here

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I love your city. Staples is a beautiful arena and there is so much to do downtown. LA knows how to throw a party that's for sure. Can't wait to come back soon.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I will be in L.A. 2nd week of February, (staying in Silver Lake but will have access to a car) unfortunately there are no games to check out, but my main question was, I am not familiar with any craft beers in that area. What beers should I be looking out for. I'm not picky and love it all from ipa's to stouts ect just as long as it's not made/manufactured by any of the "big" companies cuz I can get those any time anywhere!

Also, anyone can let me know of any local bars that have punkrock/metal shows that would be awesome too! I'm not talking about house of blues type venues, more like DIY kinda shows.

thanks in advanced!

just bumping this up again in hopes of someone seeing it!:yo:

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Hey guys, going to be coming to California in March when the Rangers do their 3 game swing through the state. Few quick questions about tickets and seating, what's the consensus best way to go for tickets? I know StubHub has the deal with the Kings but I was curious if there's any broker sites that others find better to get tickets. I know a lot of Ducks fans I saw were suggesting 714Tickets for Ducks home games. Also, is there any seating I should avoid? I'm looking at the premier seating and noticed there looks to be wheelchair seating or some sort of seating in front of each section. Is it best to avoid row 1 or anything like that? I'm open to any suggestions or tips, that's just the way I'm leaning. Thanks a ton :)

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Hey guys, going to be coming to California in March when the Rangers do their 3 game swing through the state. Few quick questions about tickets and seating, what's the consensus best way to go for tickets? I know StubHub has the deal with the Kings but I was curious if there's any broker sites that others find better to get tickets. I know a lot of Ducks fans I saw were suggesting 714Tickets for Ducks home games. Also, is there any seating I should avoid? I'm looking at the premier seating and noticed there looks to be wheelchair seating or some sort of seating in front of each section. Is it best to avoid row 1 or anything like that? I'm open to any suggestions or tips, that's just the way I'm leaning. Thanks a ton :)

714 is an OC area code, so I doubt it will be as good for Kings tickets...Usually you can wait for last minute to get tickets off the resellers, but with the Rangers it may be harder as the demand likely goes up just for that. I have sat in the handicap seats before, I wasn't a fan as they are glorified folding chairs, in the premiers it is above the section though (I believe).

anyone? lol :-(

There is the Echo in Echo Park and then if you want to drive, Alex's Bar in Long Beach is probably the best punk rock bar / venue combo in LA and they have a good craft beer selection. Ballast Point also has Tap Room in Long Beach now and Beachwood BBQ and brewery in long beach has great selection of local and rare microbreward.

www.alexsbar.com

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Visiting LA for 3-4 days after being in Vegas for a few days as well.

Going to hit up all the main spots I hear about but what are some non touristy places the you locals can tell me about?

What are some good breakfast places? I've heard about griddle..that good?

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Hey all, Preds fan here planning to make my first trip to LA in early November for a Kings/Ducks v. Preds weekend. Looking for some advice.

We arrive on Thurs Nov 2nd. Play Ducks on the 3rd and Kings on the 4th. I have a feeling we'll want to hang out in LA the night of the 2nd so just curious if it's best to go ahead and get a hotel in LA for all 3 nights or is it worth trying to bounce back and forth? I'm not familiar enough with the area to know just how much of a pain that will be.

Also, any suggestions on good "value" places to stay that are near some decent bars with somewhat easy access to the arena and/or touristy stuff during the day? Hoping to keep it around $200/nt if possible.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Hey all, Preds fan here planning to make my first trip to LA in early November for a Kings/Ducks v. Preds weekend. Looking for some advice.

We arrive on Thurs Nov 2nd. Play Ducks on the 3rd and Kings on the 4th. I have a feeling we'll want to hang out in LA the night of the 2nd so just curious if it's best to go ahead and get a hotel in LA for all 3 nights or is it worth trying to bounce back and forth? I'm not familiar enough with the area to know just how much of a pain that will be.

Also, any suggestions on good "value" places to stay that are near some decent bars with somewhat easy access to the arena and/or touristy stuff during the day? Hoping to keep it around $200/nt if possible.

Well, it depends on what kind of touristy stuff you want. Southern California has a mind-boggling amount of attractions. There are a good amount of hotels close to Honda Center which is probably nicer than staying in LA. It all depends on if you prefer urban or suburban areas. The nice thing about staying in Anaheim will be that it's right next to ARTIC, which is a major transport hub. There are cheap shuttles to Disneyland (although many hotels have free ones) and the Downtown Disney area. It's also right down the road from Knott's Berry Farm if you like the theme park thing. ARTIC is both an Amtrak and Metrolink hub, so you can hop on a train up to Union Station in LA and take a line right over to Staples. There is stuff to do all over that area of OC, and if you are planning on renting a car it's much easier to get around. Some of the nicest beach cities are in OC, and there are some really good bars in South County, especially in Laguna Beach and the surrounding area. It is very upscale down that way so it is very safe, many of those cities consistently pop up on "safest city" lists and so on.

If you want more of an urban feel there are many good places in LA to stay, but it does tend to get expensive around the arena. LA can be hit or miss as far as safety goes, it can go from ridiculously nice to really bad quickly. If you want to be on the LA side of things, the South Bay area is really nice, but gets really expensive on the Palos Verdes peninsula. LA county has more big cultural attractions, like MOMA, the Getty, and other major museums, along with a huge amount of theaters and of course, Hollywood. A city that isn't too far from LA that has some really neat places is Pasadena, the old town section there is quite fun.

One thing about the traffic here. Depending on when you are driving, it can range from easy to a nightmare. With zero traffic, Staples to Honda is about 35 minutes, but can take nearly 2 hours if things are snarled. If you plan on driving, make sure you have Google maps or a routing GPS software, it can save you a lot of time.

So in a nutshell:

Theme Parks, ritzy beach areas, suburban nightlife, car friendly = OC

Museums, Theaters, urban nightlife, better transit = LA.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Not sure if I'm allowed to ask this. If not, a mod please delete this.

In Oct I'll be in LA for the first time in 7 years. Back then, to buy Kings tickets, I just used to walk in front of the Staples and get them at a discount from someone. Never had a problem, did it like 5 times in two different years (I know, not a big sample size).

How is the situation today? Does that still work?

I know places like Stubhub, Tickpick etc., but lower bowl seats are expensive AF. When you're in LA only once every 7 years, you just remember how they used to be worth $100 (and got them for $50-70), not like 180.

Thanks

Not sure if I'm allowed to ask this. If not, a mod please delete this.

In Oct I'll be in LA for the first time in 7 years. Back then, to buy Kings tickets, I just used to walk in front of the Staples and get them at a discount from someone. Never had a problem, did it like 5 times in two different years (I know, not a big sample size).

How is the situation today? Does that still work?

I know places like Stubhub, Tickpick etc., but lower bowl seats are expensive AF. When you're in LA only once every 7 years, you just remember how they used to be worth $100 (and got them for $50-70), not like 180.

Thanks

I haven't bought tickets from scalpers in years so i don't have advice there. I will say depending on the opponent and day of the week, tickets drop quite a bit on the day of game. If you're planning on catching the Dallas stars on a Tuesday, you'll likely find a sweet deal on the day of the game. Most of the Canadian teams and "original" 6 will be expensive no matter the day off week.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I haven't bought tickets from scalpers in years so i don't have advice there. I will say depending on the opponent and day of the week, tickets drop quite a bit on the day of game. If you're planning on catching the Dallas stars on a Tuesday, you'll likely find a sweet deal on the day of the game. Most of the Canadian teams and "original" 6 will be expensive no matter the day off week.

Ok thanks for this.

I'll try to catch the Flames and Sabres, that's when I'm in town. The Sabres are on a Sat evening though, so I think that could also raise the prices.
Right now, I'm planning on buying one now and wait for the other one (also because some people don't know yet if they'll be able to come along)

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Quick little bump. Los Angeles native here, but was wondering if anyone had any insight on Kings' special events. Heading to Staples in October for a friend's bachelor party and wanted to know if the Kings do anything fun or exciting for events like these. I used to have contacts in the arena but no longer do. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Looks like I'm traveling to Los Angeles in two weeks for a manufacturing meeting/test witness/facility tour. It's in Van Nuys. Any suggestions on where to stay or where to drink?

xMARCStheSPOT

Oct 22, 2006
Sunnyvale, CA
Hey all, Sharks fan coming in peace :) I'll be visiting LA on Sunday for the Rams-Eagles game and I was wondering if there were any must go places for breakfast/brunch near LA Coliseum? Or if anyone has any tips for visiting the games at the Coliseum that they'd like to share then that would be super helpful as well as it'll be our first time down there for a game. Thanks!

hockeyfan4ever

Jan 24, 2008
Hi. I will be in L.A. to see the Capitals and Blues in march. Anyone know which hotels the Capitals and Blues stay at?

Aug 10, 2015
Travelling to Anaheim in early March and trying to convince my wife to go into LA for a hockey game. We will NOT have a car.....she is not convinced we should be in LA after dark, so if we even go we are leaning towards either of the afternoon games on March 3rd (Black Hawks) or March 10th (Blues). No idea how to get Staples Center from Anaheim (Disneyland area) though (and back to Anaheim after the game). I have been reading through this thread for advice and there is a lot of it out there just confusing reading the options and opinions.

I have been to a Ducks game, and if travel into LA is too expensive and/or too difficult I might just settle for that again...I would just like to see as many arenas/games as possible. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->