Visiting Fan's Guide to Nashville & other local areas & Parking Updates II

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Hi guys! My girlfriend and I are doing a quick weekend trip to Nashville for my birthday in February. We'll be there Friday night and leave Sunday night. We are thinking of staying downtown. Is getting to a game easy? I'm hoping to cram plenty of classic tourist attractions, music, food, and a hockey game all in about 48 hrs. Is this achievable downtown? Or do you think I'd be pushing it schedule wise. If we don't have to rent a car I'd rather not. Nashville faces the Rangers at home on Saturday 2/3. Let me know if you have any suggestions on what to do! (I will read through this thread soon)

My last couple of trips back into Nashville for games involved finding a hotel outside of downtown and, on game days, catching an Uber into town. From Metro Center, it was 7-9 dollars each way to the arena. From Opryland, it was 12-15 each way.

If you want to go to the Jack Daniel's Distillery ... the holy ground of Lynchburg, rent a car. If you just want to hit the museums, bars, and food of Nashville ... you can do it all with public transport and ride sharing options.

Crapola

Jan 11, 2018
I will be in Nashville coming from Southern California for the first time Jan-31 through Feb 3rd. Huge Kings fan and will be buying tickets shortly. Anything I should know about this game? I see some games require credit card/STH only? Also see mandatory yellow-outs? Haha thats awesome! I'll be in black though.

Tickets to this Preds/Kings game Feb-1 seem like a hot commodity. Or are the tickets always this expensive? Tried calling the box office on some insider info but there was no answer at 3:30pm local time Nashville. Already planing on hitting up Centennial Park for a jog, and am looking at Peg Leg's, Pat Martin's, and Edley's for BBQ. Tempted to do the Jack Daniels tour bus but its a 7 hour day! Gonna get tanked on LoBro and check out the country music museum.

But back to the subject at hand, I really want to have a good experience at the game, being from SoCal. Not trying to break the bank on tickets but have come to the conclusion that I'll be paying around $100 each. Would love to sit with fellow kings fans while still mingling with the locals.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I will be in Nashville coming from Southern California for the first time Jan-31 through Feb 3rd. Huge Kings fan and will be buying tickets shortly. Anything I should know about this game? I see some games require credit card/STH only? Also see mandatory yellow-outs? Haha thats awesome! I'll be in black though.

Tickets to this Preds/Kings game Feb-1 seem like a hot commodity. Or are the tickets always this expensive? Tried calling the box office on some insider info but there was no answer at 3:30pm local time Nashville. Already planing on hitting up Centennial Park for a jog, and am looking at Peg Leg's, Pat Martin's, and Edley's for BBQ. Tempted to do the Jack Daniels tour bus but its a 7 hour day! Gonna get tanked on LoBro and check out the country music museum.

But back to the subject at hand, I really want to have a good experience at the game, being from SoCal. Not trying to break the bank on tickets but have come to the conclusion that I'll be paying around $100 each. Would love to sit with fellow kings fans while still mingling with the locals.

I can tell you that tickets are getting pretty scarce for just about any game, so I would not wait around too long to get yours unless you want to go to the secondary market...

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Gold Out was originally devised to keep certain ruffian fan bases out--mainly due to their misbehavior in the past--and targeted their games. But they've expanded it to most games on weekends and holidays and all throughout May, regardless of the opponent and the "elite" teams. And Buffalo, for some reason. That said, you're the Kings. You've won a Cup and you have an elite fan base that MIGHT be problematic. So you may get Gold Out treatment on a Thursday. It doesn't mean you have to wear gold, but it does mean they're actively trying to keep opposing fans out so the local fans can enjoy the experience more. So it will be harder for you to get tickets to this game. It can be done, somehow, but you probably won't be seated with 500 other fans like used to happen sometime. The Kings, to my recollection, have never been particularly obnoxious--it's not targeted at your fan base in particular, it's just what they do. If you can get in, and I'm not promising, you can wear your team's jersey at your seat and in the arena proper, but you can't wear it downstairs in the Lexus Lounge so if you get tickets with LL access, you'll need to wear something over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crapola

Crapola

Jan 11, 2018
Damn thats super strict! I kind of get it though, being a party town destination. Having gone to several Frozen Fury's in Vegas (lots of partying and **** talking), I wouldn't be surprised to see VGK have to do this to a certain extent at some point.

But I got tickets through Ticket master minutes ago. Sweet tickets actually. Weird how you think they could discriminate against me? I get not being able to get into the Lexus club with a dope Kings jersey on (kind of), Nashville must be a precision market that knows where their bread is buttered, as opposed to a city like LA that capitalizes on the diversity of the people that came from other big cities and are watching their team from they grew up watching, locally.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Damn thats super strict! I kind of get it though, being a party town destination. Having gone to several Frozen Fury's in Vegas (lots of partying and **** talking), I wouldn't be surprised to see VGK have to do this to a certain extent at some point.

But I got tickets through Ticket master minutes ago. Sweet tickets actually. Weird how you think they could discriminate against me? I get not being able to get into the Lexus club with a dope Kings jersey on (kind of), Nashville must be a precision market that knows where their bread is buttered, as opposed to a city like LA that capitalizes on the diversity of the people that came from other big cities and are watching their team from they grew up watching, locally.

Well, it was a Thursday game...in February. But in some cases you can not purchase a ticket unless you have a local zip code on your credit card. It's discriminating against non-locals, not you personally.

We would get buses full of opposing fans who would pay 3 to 5 times face value. The Preds didn't like that people were selling their season tickets to certain games to defray their own ticket cost. People coming to the game to see "the Preds" were instead treated to a trip to United Center and the visiting fans were in vacation mode--and rude and really really drunk. They literally took things over. It was scary, it was not a fun competition with rival fans. So I see why the Preds implemented the policy. I don't agree with everything about it--they made it so THEY make bank on the tickets and the STH's have to jump through hoops. As we have success, the dynamics will change again, though.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015

There is a difference in having some opposing fans in the building and having the problem we use to have where it was 30-40% opposing fans on big weekend games. That's why they put it in. STH complained that they felt threatened in their own building.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
Sigh. I'm convinced it will grow to a 90/10 split as the years continue to pass. Eventually, the story will be there was only one Pred fan in the entire arena and the rest were visitors.

Reactions: drwpreds

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Sigh. I'm convinced it will grow to a 90/10 split as the years continue to pass. Eventually, the story will be there was only one Pred fan in the entire arena and the rest were visitors.

Yep- always been a pet peeve of mine- people always grossly exaggerate. There was only one time that I thought the building was truly taken over (at least in the past few years- I can't speak to anything before 2011)- that was a Saturday afternoon game in 2013 against Chicago. We lost 1-0- it was the game that Hornqvist made a diving attempt to stop an empty net goal from going in. I still remember that play like it was yesterday.

On that day it truly was at least 40-50% of the crowd- most I have ever seen in Bridgestone.

NSH615

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2013
Yep- always been a pet peeve of mine- people always grossly exaggerate. There was only one time that I thought the building was truly taken over (at least in the past few years- I can't speak to anything before 2011)- that was a Saturday afternoon game in 2013 against Chicago. We lost 1-0- it was the game that Hornqvist made a diving attempt to stop an empty net goal from going in. I still remember that play like it was yesterday.

On that day it truly was at least 40-50% of the crowd- most I have ever seen in Bridgestone.
December 6, 2014 was very very red. Looked like 40%-50% that game.

This system won't me post the picture I took that night. Says the file is too big. I will have to wait until I am able to get on my personal PC for that one.

Crapola

Jan 11, 2018
Staples Center gets a lot of fans of other teams as well, especially Detroit and Chicago. We just deal with it. I think most actually live in the LA area anyways. Then there's the Vancouver fan base that used to roll in super deep from Vancouver. Not as bad since 2012 haha.

Anyways, I've seen my Kings at Anaheim plenty of time which is usually 50/50ish, if not 75/25 Kings fans (aka Staples South). Seen them at Frozen Fury in Vegas against the Avalanche, 65-70% Kings fans. And at Levi stadium for the outdoor game against the Sharks which i think was 65-70% Sharts fans.

This Feb-1 game will be my first in complete enemy territory. I don't plan on being a dick, but I will be sure to have some spirited discussions during the intermissions. Might buy a beer or two for any super cool Preds fans I run into!

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
I know that numerous suggestions have been made here, strung out through hundreds of posts and this version II began over a year ago. Since we don't need to close threads anymore I think it would be helpful if someone would do a current updated list of places to see, eat, do etc. Then get Atlanta Whaler to post it including the update date, in the first post of this thread. AW could update that list periodically with new ideas/places or remove closed venues. That way we could point that comprehensive list out to visitors.

I don't live there or I'd do that myself. It makes more sense for a Nashville local.

Suggest both day and evening activities in and around the city. Make a varied list for different visitor types and tastes.

Last edited:

georgiadore

Jan 17, 2018
I plan to be at a Preds game mid-February. A couple of questions regarding the team store in Bridgestone: Where is it located in the arena? And do they typically have sweatshirts or hoodies for sale (not just jerseys)? Thanks!

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
There are several places around the arena, lots of clothing options if you want a general Predators sweat or hoodie and not a specific player name on jersey. But it is incredibly crowded at game time so keep that in mind.

Reactions: georgiadore

NSH615

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2013
I plan to be at a Preds game mid-February. A couple of questions regarding the team store in Bridgestone: Where is it located in the arena? And do they typically have sweatshirts or hoodies for sale (not just jerseys)? Thanks!
To add to Fossil's comments...

On the 5th Avenue side of the building is the main pro shop. That one is open during the day and you can access it from outside the arena. At some point on game day they close and convert to a game entrance though so I would go around lunch time if you wanted to avoid the crowd.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Staples Center gets a lot of fans of other teams as well, especially Detroit and Chicago. We just deal with it. I think most actually live in the LA area anyways. Then there's the Vancouver fan base that used to roll in super deep from Vancouver. Not as bad since 2012 haha.

Anyways, I've seen my Kings at Anaheim plenty of time which is usually 50/50ish, if not 75/25 Kings fans (aka Staples South). Seen them at Frozen Fury in Vegas against the Avalanche, 65-70% Kings fans. And at Levi stadium for the outdoor game against the Sharks which i think was 65-70% Sharts fans.

This Feb-1 game will be my first in complete enemy territory. I don't plan on being a dick, but I will be sure to have some spirited discussions during the intermissions. Might buy a beer or two for any super cool Preds fans I run into!
You'll be fine. I've been to several Preds games at Staples and they're probably the best away arena fans I've been around (opposite of Honda Center), and I say that because unless you run into a couple idiots you'll have similar experiences here

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
On the 5th Avenue side of the building is the main pro shop. That one is open during the day and you can access it from outside the arena. At some point on game day they close and convert to a game entrance though so I would go around lunch time if you wanted to avoid the crowd.

I usually come in that entrance, but not being local I did not know it was open daily as the primary Preds store. I would absolutely recommend that you go well before that entrance is converted to ticketed fans. And also echo Marty Party, bring a stack of money because the prices are shocking.

NSH615

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2013
I usually come in that entrance, but not being local I did not know it was open daily as the primary Preds store. I would absolutely recommend that you go well before that entrance is converted to ticketed fans. And also echo Marty Party, bring a stack of money because the prices are shocking.

That is any sports pro shop.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

If I were going to be at the game that night I would buy you a beer solely for your screen name :thumbu::cheers:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Wife and I are visiting for five days. Recommend me things! Tell me your dreams!
If you are a first timer you HAVE to do these things:

Go to Lower Broad and experience the honky tonks. Doesn't matter if you like country or not. Just do it. Tootsie's is the most historic, but Robert's and Layla's are cool, too. One night I went to Robert's and honestly every demographic was in there dancing with one another. It was great. Just walk down the sidewalk and take it all in, particularly at night.

Eat the hot chicken. Go slow, but try it. The second piece is great. The first piece has to deaden your taste buds a little.

Go down Broadway to where it becomes West End. Right across from Vanderbilt University is Centennial Park. Go inside the park to the Parthenon. You can't miss it, it's a full sized replica of the one in Greece (except not in ruins). I would go see it during the day and go inside to see the statue of Athena. Then go again at night to see the building lit up. It's worth it, I promise.

If you are interested in country music at all, go to the Mother Church, Ryman Auditorium near Broadway. Honestly, to save money you can go into the gift shop and just look at the pictures of the insides, but if you want to feel the sweat and blood and history, do the tour. Another good tour is Country Music Hall of Fame. If you go there, spend a little bit of time at Hatch Show Print--a real working old fashioned print shop. You know all the iconic music posters--the ones with the red and blue ink? They come from this place. You can watch them work--setting type and inking the old fashioned way.

If you're into art deco at all, visit the Frist Museum. It was the main post office for many years but was renovated probably 20 years ago. You don't have to pay anything if you don't go to the exhibits...and the building itself is stunning. Go to the bathroom. Really, do it. It's amazing.

Across from the Frist is the old Union Station. It's a hotel now and you can go in and look around. It's really neat. There's a little bar in there called Flying Saucer--also worth a visit.

I love this city!

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If you are a first timer you HAVE to do these things:

Go to Lower Broad and experience the honky tonks. Doesn't matter if you like country or not. Just do it. Tootsie's is the most historic, but Robert's and Layla's are cool, too. One night I went to Robert's and honestly every demographic was in there dancing with one another. It was great. Just walk down the sidewalk and take it all in, particularly at night.

Eat the hot chicken. Go slow, but try it. The second piece is great. The first piece has to deaden your taste buds a little.

Go down Broadway to where it becomes West End. Right across from Vanderbilt University is Centennial Park. Go inside the park to the Parthenon. You can't miss it, it's a full sized replica of the one in Greece (except not in ruins). I would go see it during the day and go inside to see the statue of Athena. Then go again at night to see the building lit up. It's worth it, I promise.

If you are interested in country music at all, go to the Mother Church, Ryman Auditorium near Broadway. Honestly, to save money you can go into the gift shop and just look at the pictures of the insides, but if you want to feel the sweat and blood and history, do the tour. Another good tour is Country Music Hall of Fame. If you go there, spend a little bit of time at Hatch Show Print--a real working old fashioned print shop. You know all the iconic music posters--the ones with the red and blue ink? They come from this place. You can watch them work--setting type and inking the old fashioned way.

If you're into art deco at all, visit the Frist Museum. It was the main post office for many years but was renovated probably 20 years ago. You don't have to pay anything if you don't go to the exhibits...and the building itself is stunning. Go to the bathroom. Really, do it. It's amazing.

Across from the Frist is the old Union Station. It's a hotel now and you can go in and look around. It's really neat. There's a little bar in there called Flying Saucer--also worth a visit.

I love this city!

Thanks for the tips! We've found ourselves parked at Bootleggers Inn on Broadway. They have jalapeno liquor that made me distinctly aware of several wounds in my mouth.

Reactions: Adz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->