OT: Visiting Chicago 2 - All Pizza, All the Time

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Thanks for the tip!
Craigslist is kind of sketchy, but I will definitely visit the place before I agree on anything.

No problem. And yeah, I know, but it's hard for someone to find a roommate if you don't know anyone in the city.

Maybe google to see if there are websites that actually specifically serve the purpose of finding a roommate/room for rent?

Here, just did a quick search. This site lists 9 of the beset roommate finding websites.

The 9 Best Roommate Finders on the Web - SmartAsset

Snilsson

Jul 6, 2016
Chicago
No problem. And yeah, I know, but it's hard for someone to find a roommate if you don't know anyone in the city.

Maybe google to see if there are websites that actually specifically serve the purpose of finding a roommate/room for rent?

Here, just did a quick search. This site lists 9 of the beset roommate finding websites.

The 9 Best Roommate Finders on the Web - SmartAsset
Cheers, I'll try to lay out some hooks and see if anyone trusts me well enough to rent me a room. :)

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
I will be this back home this summer. I took a job out of state and can't wait to come back for a week or two.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Heading to Chicago this weekend for the Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon and looking for some things to do. Anything special happening this weekend? We arrive Saturday afternoon and the run is Sunday morning. Planning to take it easy Saturday night but will have Sunday post-race through Monday to be tourists.

As of now the only thing I think we will do for sure is go to a Cubs game on Monday night. Will definitely seek out some deep dish though I want to try something new if possible. Any preference between Piece (I saw it referenced in the thread) and Pequod's? Have never tried either one. FYI, we're staying at the Hyatt Regency near the river and Grant Park so probably won't venture too far for food unless it's a must do. We also never tried italian beef last trip so may need to give that a shot?

Anything else? We've done an architectural boat tour and frankly enjoyed it enough that we might do it again. Thought about heading back over to the Art Museum as I heard they have a new wing or two since our last visit. Other than that we're wide open for suggestions.

Snilsson

Jul 6, 2016
Chicago
I've only lived in Chicago for two months so I'm probably not the best guy to give advices... But..
You can always head to Randolph St in West Loop. There's some amazing restaurants there. I really like Girl & The Goat if you wan't try something fresh and new. Au Cheval is great too. Probably need to make a reservation if you're going to either place though.
For deep dish, Lou Malnatti is still my favorite even though I know a lot of people would disagree. I have heard great things about Pequod's, but I've never been so can't say.

Other than that, I think the usual touristy attractions are pretty good. Grab a drink at the Signature Room on 96th floor at the John Hancock, visit the Lincoln Park Zoo, take a walk along the Lakefront and the Riverwalk, go for a swim at any of the many beaches, catch the fireworks at Navy Pier etc.

Hope you have a good time!

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Heading to Chicago this weekend for the Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon and looking for some things to do. Anything special happening this weekend? We arrive Saturday afternoon and the run is Sunday morning. Planning to take it easy Saturday night but will have Sunday post-race through Monday to be tourists.

As of now the only thing I think we will do for sure is go to a Cubs game on Monday night. Will definitely seek out some deep dish though I want to try something new if possible. Any preference between Piece (I saw it referenced in the thread) and Pequod's? Have never tried either one. FYI, we're staying at the Hyatt Regency near the river and Grant Park so probably won't venture too far for food unless it's a must do. We also never tried italian beef last trip so may need to give that a shot?

Anything else? We've done an architectural boat tour and frankly enjoyed it enough that we might do it again. Thought about heading back over to the Art Museum as I heard they have a new wing or two since our last visit. Other than that we're wide open for suggestions.

Any of The Aquarium, Art Museum, Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, Lincoln Park Zoo, are all solid things to do. Boat tours on the river/lake are good, also, as you mentioned.

I'm a Pequod's fan. Pepperoni, extra sauce, well done.

Navy Pier is solid. They did a bunch of remodeling there since you were here last, I'd guess. They also have fireworks and such during the summer - Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Del Seoul in Lincoln Park is highly recommended food place, if you make it up north that far. It's Korean BBQ/Mexican fusion. The K-Town wings are the best wings I've ever had, and you get all drummies. And they're huge. Also have to do the Kimchi fries if you go there.

Lots of stuff to do in that immediate area to you, though. I'm sure others can recommend other stuff, too.

Like @Snilsson said, the lake front walks/bike rides and beaches are always an option. Enjoy your time here. The city of Chicago is gorgeous in the summer. Especially up by the lake/river.

Reactions: Snilsson

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Del Seoul in Lincoln Park is highly recommended food place, if you make it up north that far. It's Korean BBQ/Mexican fusion. The K-Town wings are the best wings I've ever had, and you get all drummies. And they're huge. Also have to do the Kimchi fries if you go there.

This sounds like reason enough to head back to the Zoo and get some grub after. Thanks!

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This sounds like reason enough to head back to the Zoo and get some grub after. Thanks!

Every time I'm at my buddy's place in Roscoe Village, we make a trip to Del Seoul and get some wings and kimchi fries. Their kalbi tacos are really good too. Just great food in general. Really highly regarded.

Just be aware, if you're eating there, there's not a lot of room, and there's never anywhere to park. :laugh:

Reactions: Snilsson

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Been to Lou Malnati's, Pequod's and Gino's East.
I'm a pizza junkie.

1) Pequod's
2) Gino's East'
3) Lou

Lou's crust was lacking, and sauce a bit bland, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
So how close is the loop to N Michigan Avenue? Could I transfer to another train and get closer? Excuse my ignorance haha

Web-based downtown map - CTA

Loop is just south of the river (North Michigan is just north). Depending on what you wanted to do and how far it is, you can get off at Blue line stops and walk/uber. Or you could transfer to a Red line train going North which would get you closer.

Either way, I would imagine you would get off at the Blue Line station Washington. Either walk/uber from there or transfer to the red line stop of State/Lake if you want to take that North.

You can put the address in here to give you exact directions.

Plan a trip / Get transit directions - CTA

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Web-based downtown map - CTA

Loop is just south of the river (North Michigan is just north). Depending on what you wanted to do and how far it is, you can get off at Blue line stops and walk/uber. Or you could transfer to a Red line train going North which would get you closer.

Either way, I would imagine you would get off at the Blue Line station Washington. Either walk/uber from there or transfer to the red line stop of State/Lake if you want to take that North.

You can put the address in here to give you exact directions.

Plan a trip / Get transit directions - CTA

Sweet man, I really appreciate your help!!

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Been to Lou Malnati's, Pequod's and Gino's East.
I'm a pizza junkie.

1) Pequod's
2) Gino's East'
3) Lou

Lou's crust was lacking, and sauce a bit bland, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Is Giordano's solely on the South side? I always hear raves about Peaquads and Lou's yet no one says anything about Giordano's. Curious if Peaquads/Lou's fans are north siders.

Damn.... Give me some Nonna's pizza. I could eat it weekly for life .

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
all this food of chi, esp my favorite - pizza. oh man yous guys are killing me. the best pizza here is domino or pizza hut.

damn.

You are in Dallas, yah?

Pizza here is absolute trash. Literally one of the reasons I might move back home in 5-10 years. What's life without a good pizza?

For thin crust, I'm a Falco's or Phil's guy. Easily the best thin crust I've eaten in Chicago at those two places.

Which Phil's? There is a Phil's in Oak Lawn. Place is great. Similiar to Beggars. Not my fav tho. Nonna's will always have that place in my heart .

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Is Giordano's solely on the South side? I always hear raves about Peaquads and Lou's yet no one says anything about Giordano's. Curious if Peaquads/Lou's fans are north siders.

Giordano's is all over the place. I'm a big fan of their stuffed pizza, personally.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You are in Dallas, yah?

Pizza here is absolute trash. Literally one of the reasons I might move back home in 5-10 years. What's life without a good pizza?

Which Phil's? There is a Phil's in Oak Lawn. Place is great. Similiar to Beggars. Not my fav tho. Nonna's will always have that place in my heart .

Oak Lawn.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I was looking to go to Chicago either in February or March to catch a game against the Avalanche. Looks like the official Blackhawks site doesn't list any availability for those games when I look in the calendar. I only see StubHub and VividSeats - are those pretty much my only options? We are looking for 5 tickets. Is it possible that those games are already sold out and the second hand market is my only option?

Snilsson

Jul 6, 2016
Chicago
I was looking to go to Chicago either in February or March to catch a game against the Avalanche. Looks like the official Blackhawks site doesn't list any availability for those games when I look in the calendar. I only see StubHub and VividSeats - are those pretty much my only options? We are looking for 5 tickets. Is it possible that those games are already sold out and the second hand market is my only option?
There’s no way they’re sold out, just wait..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->