OT: Visiting Calgary (General City / Area Discussion)

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
So I'll be in Calgary from 21st to 30th. Thanks @Volica for the brewery tips.

I'm probably gonna start listing a lot of stupid questions here so be patient with me.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
K, Brewpub time. OR the BEST time. Calgary's become a bit of a brewery hub; outside of Victoria it's probably climbing the ranks in Western Canada at a breakneck pace. It's too bad I'll be boating between the 22nd and 25th, or else I'd take you through the barley belt. I'm sure someone else on the board would be more than happy to give you a little tour.

So, it's totally best on bike. Just because everything's far enough where it's like a bit too much to walk, but you're also drinking a lot of beer and it's too close to drive. More or less between 58th Ave SE and Inglewood, there's something like 10 breweries. They're all really ****ing good too.

What I'd suggest is getting on the train (with bike) and getting off at Chinook, go kind of late afternoon so that you can take your time. Head NE until you hit Prairie Dog. They'll be open by the time you get to Calgary, and it's legit. I've got a lot of buddies in the brewery world and I've sampled their beer. Good ****. In addition, they're going to have like the biggest smoker outside of the Southern states... Grab some BBQ. Head further North to Annex. Annex is really good. Paradise found is my fav and their root beer is great.

From there, I'd do Born Colorado and Banded Peak. Grab some brews and enjoy how fun they are. After swing by Paddy's BBQ; great beer, and as you might imagine, great BBQ. Get a little snack to keep the liquor from doing you in.

From there, enjoy a little cemetery ride and the Stampede grounds. Could double down to see the Dome here too. Now, you're close to Inglewood/Ramsay. There are two of them there are absurdly good. I'd suggest getting High Line out of the way, it's pretty good. They have one called Kent or Smokes. Both are good. Can check out Revival too, I haven't been there yet, but I've heard it's fun. After that, I'd suggest swinging down to Ramsay and getting some Dandy, those guys are pros.

I like finishing the night off at Cold Garden. Amazing beer, funky hipster place with the most women ratio you'll find on your brew tour. If you're not pounded by then, you can go downtown for more fun or hang out at Cold Garden til close.

Thanks, this might be best post on HF ever. This looks like a fun afternoon or two based on what I could see about the places and route from Google Maps. And no way I'm taking a bike when drinking (I've got few stories to tell :laugh:), 7.5km walking feels like nothing when you've had few beers.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Thanks, this might be best post on HF ever. This looks like a fun afternoon or two based on what I could see about the places and route from Google Maps. And no way I'm taking a bike when drinking (I've got few stories to tell :laugh:), 7.5km walking feels like nothing when you've had few beers.

We have Uber as well, like if things get a bit too out of hand. Like I said, I’m out of town that draft weekend, or I’d definitely take you!

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I have the plane tickets, hotel, and eta all set. Thank god it's only three weeks. Thanks @Method Man for the Hampton Inn tip, I got a room for fairly good rate and seems to be a good place.

So, the stupid questions:
-Tipping. There's nothing like that here, so I have no idea how or where to do that. If I pay cash, do I need to say that I give certain amount of tip, or is it just expected that for $32 meal I just pay $40 and expect no change.
-Cash or credit? I'm gonna take some cash with me of course just in case, but I think I can save some money if I pay with credit card (instead of drawing cash with that card) as much as possible
-Weather. What to expect, +20C..+30C? I'll be traveling very light, so I wont pack much clothes, shorts and t-shirts mainly I guess. I wont go to any fancy nightclubs or restaurants, but other than that, is there any dress code in general? like "sorry sir, you cant come in wearing shorts"
-Where can I buy c-train tickets / daily passes? And how does it work?
-Walking. I've read the horror stories about suburbs in USA where you can't walk from one place to another simply because there are no sidewalks.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I have the plane tickets, hotel, and eta all set. Thank god it's only three weeks. Thanks @Method Man for the Hampton Inn tip, I got a room for fairly good rate and seems to be a good place.

-Tipping. There's nothing like that here, so I have no idea how or where to do that. If I pay cash, do I need to say that I give certain amount of tip, or is it just expected that for $32 meal I just pay $40 and expect no change.
-Cash or credit? I'm gonna take some cash with me of course just in case, but I think I can save some money if I pay with credit card (instead of drawing cash with that card) as much as possible
-Weather. What to expect, +20C..+30C? I'll be traveling very light, so I wont pack much clothes, shorts and t-shirts mainly I guess. I wont go to any fancy nightclubs or restaurants, but other than that, is there any dress code in general? like "sorry sir, you cant come in wearing shorts"
-Walking. I've read the horror stories about suburbs in USA where you can't walk from one place to another simply because there are no sidewalks.
  • Tipping... I would say most tip 10-15%, but some will go to 5% and others to 20%. I think your $40 for a $32 meal is pretty bang on with our customs (which are stupid)... if you give them cash just say to keep the change. For CC there will be a tipping option.
  • Credit will be good almost anywhere, there are also ATMs everywhere if you do need cash.
  • I would say 25-35 is what to expect unless it rains, then it could get cooler
  • C-Train you can get passes at most of the terminals, it's done through a ticket machine
  • I can't give much info on walking, as last time I walked in Calgary I was so shit faced that I only remember falling off a curb :laugh:

Reactions: Kahvi

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

So, yeah, tipping exists.
IF you're paying by cash, let's say it's 32 dollars, and you put down 40 bucks; they'll bring you back 8 dollars without question. You can also tell them things like 'no change, thanks' which means they'll take that as a tip. Tipping is a big part of restaurants, bars I wouldn't worry too much (unless you're eating and someone's serving you). Tips are expected, but don't feel like everyone deserves one.

In terms of Credit vs Cash, check with your credit card company. Some of them like to add like 10% to the exchange; which means you lose money every time you use it. If it's a straight exchange rate 1 for 1, Canada has an excellent/safe credit card security. I.E, we do chips, waiters/waitresses bring your bill to your table with the machine, not the US way of taking the bill to the machine.

Weather wise; June is normally a fairly warm month. We're expecting a warm and dry summer. Bring a rain coat, and some jeans/pants. That's more or less the only thing that might hit you. You're also in a big city, so you have access to anything you need/forget.

C-Train can be done a few ways. Either you can pay each time you go. They're at every station, there are kiosks. Fare is $3.30 CAD for a single ticket. You can also get 10 ticket passes for $33, you can get those at most convenience stores (7/11, Circle-K, etc) There's no daily pass, but tickets last 90 minutes, and are valid for bus/train.

Walking. Yeah. So where you'll be staying is like 50/50, more or less once you're in an industrial area/certain residential, there's little to no sidewalk. It's why I mentioned the bike for the Brewery (on the Southern side, there's little sidewalks around there, in Inglewood, there's full sidewalks).

Reactions: Kahvi

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Cash/credit: I almost never carry cash. The only time I ever have it on me is if I know I'm going to need it, like if I'm going to meet up with someone to buy something off of them. Otherwise, I put everything on card.

Clothing: If you're not planning on going anywhere fancy, I wouldn't worry too much about a dress code. Shorts/t-shirt will be fine in most cases. I would just check the weather forecast the week before you come and you should be fine. However, you may be expected to wear a jersey at the draft party :sarcasm:

Transit passes: One time tickets are only good for 90 minutes. Assuming you're going to be out and about all day, a daily pass ($10.50/day) makes more sense. However, since you're going to be here for 10 days I'd just get a monthly pass ($103) and then you don't have to worry about the machines being broken, or scrambling to pay the machine when the train is coming or whatever. You can buy them from some of the stores at the airport when you arrive (ie: Mac's).

Since you're arriving at the end of the month, I can also keep my eyes open on Kijiji for anyone selling their monthly passes for like $20-30 and pick it up for you and you'll just need a couple daily passes to get you around until we meet up at the draft party (or you can meet me at my work the day you arrive since I'm only 2 stations away from your hotel). The $50 saved can go towards a new jacket if the weather forecast is wrong or all the tipping you're going to do :biglaugh:

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So I'll be in Calgary from 21st to 30th. Thanks @Volica for the brewery tips.

I'm probably gonna start listing a lot of stupid questions here so be patient with me.
No beer tips, but if you like burgers, you got to eat at Peter's. Have the "triple cheese, with extra cheese, and bacon. It's to (literally) die for:)

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Also, if you're getting on the train here it is customary to stand directly in front of the doors as they open, and try to board. Let those getting off of the train go around you, it's tradition.

I laughed.
Once saw a guy yell at a pregnant woman (he didn't realize she was pregnant) for standing near the door. When she gave him the side view, and said 'I'm very pregnant' he was like... "uhhh, I was talking about your friend!"

It was such a cringe-worthy moment. I laughed for the next three stops.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Since you're arriving at the end of the month, I can also keep my eyes open on Kijiji for anyone selling their monthly passes for like $20-30 and pick it up for you and you'll just need a couple daily passes to get you around until we meet up at the draft party (or you can meet me at my work the day you arrive since I'm only 2 stations away from your hotel). The $50 saved can go towards a new jacket if the weather forecast is wrong or all the tipping you're going to do :biglaugh:

That would be great, thanks!

Last edited:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
No beer tips, but if you like burgers, you got to eat at Peter's. Have the "triple cheese, with extra cheese, and bacon. It's to (literally) die for:)

Peters...for food?

That's gonna be a no from me dawg. A 3 day old spoiled McDonald's hamburger with some dog hair on it is better tasting, literally any burger is better than Peters. Milkshakes are to die for, but the food is horrible. Go to like Boogies (rather close to Peters) if you want a burger.

Weather is being stupid right now. One day it's 29 degrees, the next 3 it's 16 and raining intermittently, f***ing stupid.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
My in-laws are from Calgary. I haven't had a Peter's burger since the late 80's. I kind of avoid Calgary, for some reason! :laugh:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'm gonna try that if I happen go close by. In general I'm not looking for absolutely best food etc, but rather experiences and kinda local must haves. I'll go to Tim Horton's for sure, just because it's a really Canadian thing, not because I expect to be something really great

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'm gonna try that if I happen go close by. In general I'm not looking for absolutely best food etc, but rather experiences and kinda local must haves. I'll go to Tim Horton's for sure, just because it's a really Canadian thing, not because I expect to be something really great

Paging @tfong, @Johnny Hoxville , where is the best place to get some Ginger Beef?

Reactions: Method Man

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'll also be bringing some snacks to the Draft Party, so you can reveng... I mean recommend some places and foods afterwards for me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->