OT: Visiting Boston? We are here to help.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Duck Boat tours are great. Where else in the world can you ride on something that has transported the world champions and the accompanying trophies for all 4 major sports?

That being said, I live here and you couldn't get me on one of those rattletraps if you held a gun to my head. Did ride a swan boat once, though.

Re. Fenway's recommendation of the Boston Duck Tours: It may seem kind of corny & clichéd, but the tour really is a great way to familiarize a first-time visitor with the sights & history of Boston. My wife & I took the tour a few years ago on our first visit, and our driver provided a large amount of useful information on sections of the city for further exploration while keeping us entertained between major sites of interest.

We followed our Duck ride with a visit to the Prudential Center's Skywalk Observatory, which is the building where the Duck Tours start & end. It was another significant expense (check the website for available discounts). but worth the admission on a clear day to get a bird's eye view of the city & the Harbor & points beyond. It gave us a good sense of direction for our wanderings around the city core of Boston that afternoon. It also seems like you'd get a fantastic view of the city from the Observatory if you visited at night. And the Observatory space includes special exhibits & displays to complement the views of the historic city & surrounding area.
Duck Boat tours are great. Where else in the world can you ride on something that has transported the world champions and the accompanying trophies for all 4 major sports?

That being said, I live here and you couldn't get me on one of those rattletraps if you held a gun to my head. Did ride a swan boat once, though.

Ain't your river frozen right now ?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I am planning to go to the Top of the Hub lounge for their live music each night.
Where the cost of one drink probably equals the cost of a Skywalk admission. Still, it's an equivalent view, so I hope you enjoy it.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Where the cost of one drink probably equals the cost of a Skywalk admission. Still, it's an equivalent view, so I hope you enjoy it.
I believe the minimum only counts if you sit at a table, I will hopefully be at the bar. Yeah it will be a little steep but I'll nurse the drinks and take in the music.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I’ll be visiting Boston (from Dorchester) this weekend. What’s the best places in southie/the south end for dinner? I was thinking gaslight brasserie or b&g oysters in the south end or moonshine 152 or Worden Hall in southie. Not really interested in being places I’ve already been like loco, Lincoln tavern, salty pig. Kind of just looking for some insight on the places I just put down. Also curious if anyone has been to saltie girl, I have a gift card there but I have a feeling it’s incredibly expensive due to there being no prices on their menu online

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
B&G is amazing! My favorite seafood in Boston at this time. Pricey, but worth it. Casual, but fine dining, and the staff knows their stuff. If the grilled octopus is on the menu, don't miss it. Reservations are a must, the place is packed at all times.

sandyfalkirk

Jun 18, 2014
Scotland
Hi folks,

looking for some pointers!

Coming to see Bruins Hawks game on Saturday March 10th. Staying at Battery Wharf hotel. Is this walkable? It looks it on google maps......

I am Hawks fan, my son is a Bruins fan and has a man crush on Bergy. Sadly, with the way Toews is playing nowadays, I can't help compare the two and feel we are losing out. Anyway....

Few questions.
Booze....we are from Scotland where the drinking age is 18....I guess from my visits to Chicago, that Boston is age 21 plus for beer? If so, my son will be gutted as he is only 20 and we are there for his birthday!

We'd love to watch the back to back game on the Sunday 11th in Chicago live. Is there any sports bars near the hotel that we could see the early face off (think its 1130) and given he won't get served alcohol, are we likely to get in!?!

Just to be clear, if I was to be stupid and let him have a sip of my beer at the game, are we likely to be thrown out?

Any tips for good eats near the hotel?

Finally, if I was stupid enough to wear my Roenick 27 hawks sweater, will I be killed?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The walk to Battery Wharf should be doable - and by March, the weather won’t be as terrible as it has been.

Yes, the legal age for alcohol in the US is 21...depending on the bar/venue, it may be all ages, or restricted to 21+. I don’t have a handy reference to tell you which bars on Causeway have this restriction, but if they serve food, he’s probably okay. As far as passing beers...it’s technically prohibited in the Garden. There are signs at some of the stands, plus an opening narration (read in part by an almost giggly Brad Marchand), that remind patrons not to pass beer.

I’m not going to say that nobody’s ever passed a beer in the Garden. I’m not going to say that the ushers are great at catching mature-looking, game-faced underaged people drinking one beer peacefully with a parent. I will say that they’ll only serve you two beers per person at a time to take to your seats, and you’ll need your passport - it’s the only ID accepted for non-US citizens, and they check everyone who buys beer, every time. Even my dad, who’s close to 4 times the legal age. I have witnessed 3 people being tossed out of the Garden at an Imagine Dragons concert for outright drunkenness - but they were of age, and had been warned at least twice.

I’m not so great with Boston restaurant/bars, so I’ll let others make recommendations for Sunday. As far as the jersey, the color will definitely blend in with a portion of the crowd - Hawks fans travel fairly well, especially for weekend games in March. The name might get a “huh” or “why”, or a little eye-rolling. It shouldn’t cause any problems other than gentle ribbing, if that. Your life should be safe.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I don't think they're all that great. The Garden itself has reasonable WiFi, but as far as city-wide free WiFi, nope. Individual restaurants/bars occasionally do WiFi, but I think that's more the exception than the rule.

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
@sandyfalkirk :

Battery Wharf is certainly walkable, the whole city is. You'll be quite close the the Garden (I lived right across from that hotel briefly a few years ago). It's the North End, amazing Italian food everywhere. You won't have any issues finding food.

As for alcohol, the drinking age is 21. Plenty of bars/restaurants with TVs that will have the game on that Sunday. You won't have an issue finding one. At 11:30 on a Sunday, it comes down to the bartender/waitstaff if they ask for you son's ID. Friday/Saturday nights at popular bars would be a different story. The Garden as talkinaway said, do not attempt to purchase alcohol at the Garden without proper ID (passport in your case). As for your son, you'll be tagged if you pass him a beer right after you purchase it. They are strict. At his seat, if he reaches for his soda and accidentally drinks a beer, no one will notice/care if he looks 21.

No one will care about your Roenick jersey. If anything, someone might walk up to you and say they're friends with him (he's a local).

@Clare2904 plenty of wifi at bars/restaurants. If the one you're in doesn't have it, the one next to it does.

Reactions: Clare2904

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Hi folks,

looking for some pointers!

Coming to see Bruins Hawks game on Saturday March 10th. Staying at Battery Wharf hotel. Is this walkable? It looks it on google maps......

I am Hawks fan, my son is a Bruins fan and has a man crush on Bergy. Sadly, with the way Toews is playing nowadays, I can't help compare the two and feel we are losing out. Anyway....

Few questions.
Booze....we are from Scotland where the drinking age is 18....I guess from my visits to Chicago, that Boston is age 21 plus for beer? If so, my son will be gutted as he is only 20 and we are there for his birthday!

We'd love to watch the back to back game on the Sunday 11th in Chicago live. Is there any sports bars near the hotel that we could see the early face off (think its 1130) and given he won't get served alcohol, are we likely to get in!?!

Just to be clear, if I was to be stupid and let him have a sip of my beer at the game, are we likely to be thrown out?

Any tips for good eats near the hotel?

Finally, if I was stupid enough to wear my Roenick 27 hawks sweater, will I be killed?
Battery Wharf is right next door to Commercial Wharf, Chara's residence. Perhaps you could hitch a ride with Big Z to Boston Garden.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Did I already ask for bars to watch the Super Bowl at? I can't remember :laugh:

I will be able to get there early etc so where is the place to be?

Thanks.

Please also ticket thread for my latest begging post about Saturday night :biglaugh:

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Pats gear,where is the best place in the city to buy? Got to get my friend something to send to her in Serbia. I tried Modell's on Boylston but everything was Super Bowl related. If I get her a tshirt or jersey I just want it without any SB logo.

Where should I go?

Thanks

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Pats gear,where is the best place in the city to buy? Got to get my friend something to send to her in Serbia. I tried Modell's on Boylston but everything was Super Bowl related. If I get her a tshirt or jersey I just want it without any SB logo.

Where should I go?

Thanks

There are stores in Fanuiel Hall you could go to. I can't remember the names, but there are two of them on the ground level at the far end, close to Surface Road. One is between The Loft and Banana Republic, and the other is on the left side of the same building. If you look for the Loft in Fanuiel Hall you'll find them.

meliz112

Feb 6, 2018
Boston, MA
There are stores in Fanuiel Hall you could go to. I can't remember the names, but there are two of them on the ground level at the far end, close to Surface Road. One is between The Loft and Banana Republic, and the other is on the left side of the same building. If you look for the Loft in Fanuiel Hall you'll find them.

I think you are referring to Roster. That one is good, or since it's a female friend, you should go to Lucy League. It's also in Faneuil Hall, near the Newbury Comics. The same company owns both of those stores and also Best of Boston. They will give you a discount if you show your receipt from another of their stores. If you needed any souvenirs/postcards or the like, buy at Best of Boston, then get a discount on the Pats gear.

Another option is the 47 brand store on Newbury, but it might be a little pricier.

Reactions: Clare2904

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal

I think you are referring to Roster. That one is good, or since it's a female friend, you should go to Lucy League. It's also in Faneuil Hall, near the Newbury Comics. The same company owns both of those stores and also Best of Boston. They will give you a discount if you show your receipt from another of their stores. If you needed any souvenirs/postcards or the like, buy at Best of Boston, then get a discount on the Pats gear.

Another option is the 47 brand store on Newbury, but it might be a little pricier.

Found a half price tshirt in Macys, $15. That will do as I still have to ship it to Serbia.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Hey Bruins fans! leafs fan coming in peace.

I was just wondering, if the leafs do play the bruins in the first round, do you guys have any idea what a pair of tickets up in the nosebleeds would cost? In Toronto, a pair would be a minimum $1000. Ive always wanted to go to Boston and it looks like an awesome place and atmosphere to see a game.

any help is appreciated!

Thanks

@Fenway

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Hey Bruins fans! leafs fan coming in peace.

I was just wondering, if the leafs do play the bruins in the first round, do you guys have any idea what a pair of tickets up in the nosebleeds would cost? In Toronto, a pair would be a minimum $1000. Ive always wanted to go to Boston and it looks like an awesome place and atmosphere to see a game.

any help is appreciated!

Thanks

@Fenway

$1000?! Holy, hell. That's a lot of coin for the noise-bleeds. So roughly 500 a pop? I went last year, sat about 6 rows up; game 3....Spent 300 on a pair (about 150 each).

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
$1000?! Holy, hell. That's a lot of coin for the noise-bleeds. So roughly 500 a pop? I went last year, sat about 6 rows up; game 3....Spent 300 on a pair (about 150 each).

Yep, the mark up is crazy! and that was against Washington. I can only imagine how pricey it would be against Boston lol. $300 on a pair, even with the conversion to CDN is less then $400. Wow that would be awesome. where did you purchase them? ticketmaster, stubhub or something like that?

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Yep, the mark up is crazy! and that was against Washington. I can only imagine how pricey it would be against Boston lol. $300 on a pair, even with the conversion to CDN is less then $400. Wow that would be awesome. where did you purchase them? ticketmaster, stubhub or something like that?

I got mine through StubHub. I have no idea if they would have been cheaper through ticketmaster though.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

The ticket thread is really a great resource:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...d-rules-on-post-1-before-posting-tix.2066559/

Not sure how the playoffs would go, but it's worth keeping an eye on

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad