Prospect Info: Ville Husso (2014 Draft - 94 Overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I didn't found discussion thread of Ville Husso.
So i made this one.

Regular season in Finnish Elite League started last weekend.
HIFK had scheduled 2 games visitor game against, Espoo Blues ( HIFK win 1-6) and home game against Rauman Lukko ( HIFK win 3-2 after shootout contest).
Husso was HIFK's starting goalie, both of these games.

Husso's stats after 2 regular season games are next.
1 win 1 draw 46 saves 3 goals Gaa 1,44 sv% 93,88.
In Champions Hockey League his stats are 3 games Gaa 1.96 sv% 92,3

What i've heard other HIFK fans, Husso is developed a lot.
And he's even better goalie than what he was last season.

But still there's plenty job to do, before he's ready to come north america.
If Husso stays healthy, he has good chances to get his men's national team debut games this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
It's awesome to hear him doing well again. Between Allen, Binnington, Copley, and Husso our goaltending future is looking bright and I expect one of Binnington or Husso to be our go to guy in a few years.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Thanks, it would be good to have a thread for him since he's in Europe and some of us NA fans might have a harder time following him and getting all the juicy details

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
It's awesome to hear him doing well again. Between Allen, Binnington, Copley, and Husso our goaltending future is looking bright and I expect one of Binnington or Husso to be our go to guy in a few years.

Yes it is.
Individually Husso's season last year, was really difficult.

First huge disappointment in world juniors in Toronto.
Finland lost quarterfinals 6-3 for Sweden, and 2-3 swedes goals went in for Husso too easily.

That affected negatively for his confidence, and he couldn't show his best in HIFK net.
Also he lost his starting goalie status, for his backup Kevin Lankinen.

In february Husso missed some games because of injury, and he came back in march.But he couldn't help HIFK go to FEL semifinals.
HIFK lost quarterfinals 4-2 for Tappara Tampere.

Also there was a lot, backstabbing talks that, Husso spent's too much time in bars and pubs.
And he has alcohol problem, but that was full ********.

I'll post more information, for Husso's progress in HIFK so often as i can.
Also i'm sure that St Louis Blues, scouting staff keeps Husso an eye on.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
If Husso can stay north of .930 and sub-2.00, I see no reason he shouldn't be in North America next season. Now, if Copley and/or Binnington can do the same, then things will start to get very interesting. I don't really even consider Lundstrom to be an option for us anymore. He'll be in Alaska unless something drastically changes. To be fair, he faced a very good crop of Blue Jacket prospects, but it just doesn't seem like he's going to be able to pull it all together. Opilka, on the other hand, could turn some heads in Kitchener this season. If we have 4 decent goaltending prospects, that's certainly the best shape we've been in in awhile, and if Husso can stand atop that pile, all the better.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
Im actually higher on Husso than Binnington or Copley, not really sure why just have a feeling about him, thanks for the updates

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I drafted him in NHL 14 before the Blues did and he turned out to be a 5 Red Star goalie. Became a 95 OA. So you can guess my excitement when we made the pick. Dude is going to be insane.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I refuse to get excited about a goaltending prospect after the Blues long history of disappointment at the position, but it's obviously always good to hear a prospect is playing well. Between Allen, Binnington, Husso, and Copley, we have a good chance at least one of them is an above average starter. With our defense, we don't need anyone spectacular, but it sure wouldn't hurt.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If Husso can stay north of .930 and sub-2.00, I see no reason he shouldn't be in North America next season. Now, if Copley and/or Binnington can do the same, then things will start to get very interesting. I don't really even consider Lundstrom to be an option for us anymore. He'll be in Alaska unless something drastically changes. To be fair, he faced a very good crop of Blue Jacket prospects, but it just doesn't seem like he's going to be able to pull it all together. Opilka, on the other hand, could turn some heads in Kitchener this season. If we have 4 decent goaltending prospects, that's certainly the best shape we've been in in awhile, and if Husso can stand atop that pile, all the better.

That's true too, Husso is 20 yrs old so he's still young goalie.
And some goalies needs, more time to develop.

Of course St Louis could sign him, for 3 yrs ELC contract and let him play in HIFK.
That'll burn year or two, his rookie contract but so be it.

But also there's trade possibility, St Louis has 4 good goalie prospects.
And as we know, in NHL everything is possible even goalie trades.

Everyone knows that Finnish goaltender coaching, is best in the world.
So why to hurry for bring Husso into NHL / AHL right now when he can play big minutes and be a starting goalie into HIFK.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
To me, it's important how a goalie performs in big games.

I'm very much in the camp that thinks Allen does not have the mental makeup to succeed in the NHL playoffs as evidenced by his history of not performing well in big game (WJC, AHL playoffs).

Conversely, Binnington seems to step up in big games (game 7 OHL playoffs '11, Memorial Cup, AHL playoffs). I think he has the mental makeup that can carry a team when it matters.

Right now I view Ville Husso in between Binnington and Allen. This year will be big for him with lots of big game opportunities. I have to admit that getting lit up by Sweden in the WJC and the end to last season are a bit concerning for me.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
So why to hurry for bring Husso into NHL / AHL right now when he can play big minutes and be a starting goalie into HIFK.

There is some truth in that. Comparing others finnish goaltenders only Rask, Lehtonen and Rämö has came in 20-years old in NA. Most of finnish goaltenders has make debut in 23-25 years old. Like Karri Rämö tried couple years in NA and have to go back Europe take bounce back years in KHL and now 5 year later in age 27 he is ready.

So Husso could easily play couple years in Finland and under Lundell's training what its only positive thing. NA could maybe give Husso quicker better overall vision in NA smaller rink, get use more stick handling plays and maybe tougher competition. We've seen it Husso doesn't have problem in NA rink (WJC) and recent games has showed they have done right things to get better stick handling and what comes to competition Lankinen is good prompter to Husso.

I'm not sure how important to goaltender is getting bigger minutes in younger age, but downside of playing NA now would be less minutes and I assume it could affect his development?

Overally this season tells us what pace Husso's career stands is he really needed level to make transmission to NA. I really like what I have seen these couple games comparing last season and his clear transformation to pro athlete is the most important thing.

More haste less speed.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
To me, it's important how a goalie performs in big games.

I'm very much in the camp that thinks Allen does not have the mental makeup to succeed in the NHL playoffs as evidenced by his history of not performing well in big game (WJC, AHL playoffs).

Conversely, Binnington seems to step up in big games (game 7 OHL playoffs '11, Memorial Cup, AHL playoffs). I think he has the mental makeup that can carry a team when it matters.

Right now I view Ville Husso in between Binnington and Allen. This year will be big for him with lots of big game opportunities. I have to admit that getting lit up by Sweden in the WJC and the end to last season are a bit concerning for me.

Yes this year is gonna be, big year for Husso that's true.
If you did watch, all Finland's games in last world juniors in Montreal and Toronto.
You probably knew that Finland failed as a team, yes in quarterfinals there was 2-3 swedes goals which went in for Husso too easily.

But those players who should be the leaders, ( Lehkonen,Honka and Kapanen) they all failed.
Finland's only stars were Rantanen and Puljujärvi ( he didn't score but performed well and showed his skills)

Also that old grumpy man who should be, a coach failed too.
He didn't make any changes for Finland's game plan. ( was there a game-plan i didn't see that)

2015 WJC U20's first game against USA Husso was phenomenal, he showed his best and he stole starting goalie's spot for Saros.
Yes USA win that game after shootout contest, but it wasn't Ville's fault.

HIFK's starting goalie is probably mostly wanted goalie spot, in Finnish Elite League.
HIFK goalies has huge pressures every game, and they must show their best all the time if they wanna play so much as possible.

This season HIFK is one contender for Finnish Elite League championship.
That means Husso must handle those pressures, and i'm sure that he'll.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I'm glad to hear the positive reports on Husso. Hopefully he has a tremendous season. It's super hard to protect goalies but he certainly has the potential to be a good NHL starter.

Then again, so do Allen, Binnington and Copley. Like others, I just hope that at least one of them develops into that stud goalie the Blues have been lacking for years.

CoMoBlues

Aug 16, 2010
Columbus, OH
There is some truth in that. Comparing others finnish goaltenders only Rask, Lehtonen and Rämö has came in 20-years old in NA. Most of finnish goaltenders has make debut in 23-25 years old. Like Karri Rämö tried couple years in NA and have to go back Europe take bounce back years in KHL and now 5 year later in age 27 he is ready.

So Husso could easily play couple years in Finland and under Lundell's training what its only positive thing. NA could maybe give Husso quicker better overall vision in NA smaller rink, get use more stick handling plays and maybe tougher competition. We've seen it Husso doesn't have problem in NA rink (WJC) and recent games has showed they have done right things to get better stick handling and what comes to competition Lankinen is good prompter to Husso.

I'm not sure how important to goaltender is getting bigger minutes in younger age, but downside of playing NA now would be less minutes and I assume it could affect his development?

Overally this season tells us what pace Husso's career stands is he really needed level to make transmission to NA. I really like what I have seen these couple games comparing last season and his clear transformation to pro athlete is the most important thing.

More haste less speed.

I agree Rank, there is a logjam in goal for the AHL Wolves this year with Copley and Binnington. Maybe its best for Husso's development for him to spend another year, or two, over in Finland before making the jump to NA.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
HIFK started their Champions Hockey League playoffs, tonight's home game against Davos.
HIFK win that game 2-1 and Ville Husso was HIFK's net today.

Husso was excellent tonight's game and he saved 38 times, and his sv% was 97,44.
Compared to last season Husso is finally realized what really means, and how much hard work is needed to be a pro athlete.

And that transformation for last season is huge.
Of course it's still early to say for sure, can Husso keep that level the rest of season what he has now.

But if he can Husso will sooner or later in this season, received his debut games in Team Finland's men's national team.
Right now Husso's development and progressing, for NHL goalie looks really good.

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I drafted him in NHL 14 before the Blues did and he turned out to be a 5 Red Star goalie. Became a 95 OA. So you can guess my excitement when we made the pick. Dude is going to be insane.

As long as his "insanity" doesn't hurt his ability to keep the puck out of the net, I can live with it!:laugh:

ALL goaltenders are a little bit insane.:naughty:

I have high hopes for Husso. It seems like it's been a long time since The Blues had a "home grown" (self drafted or self-signed) high calibre goalie.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Ville Husso recorded tonight's visitor game, against HPK Hämeenlinna his first Shutout in Finnish Elite League this season.

Husso saved 27 times ( 6+10+11=27), when HIFK defeated HPK 0-5.
This season Husso has got ice-time 732:19 minutes, In his 12 starts into HIFK net.

After tonight's game, Husso's stats are next.
8 wins 4 draws 285 saves, 20 goals 1 Shutout GAA 1,64 SV% 93,44.

Sorry for delaying with updates.
More updates will come later.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Ville Husso recorded tonight's visitor game, against HPK Hämeenlinna his first Shutout in Finnish Elite League this season.

Husso saved 27 times ( 6+10+11=27), when HIFK defeated HPK 0-5.
This season Husso has got ice-time 732:19 minutes, In his 12 starts into HIFK net.

After tonight's game, Husso's stats are next.
8 wins 4 draws 285 saves, 20 goals 1 Shutout GAA 1,64 SV% 93,44.

Sorry for delaying with updates.
More updates will come later.

Thanks for keeping us informed. Really anxious to get him over to NA next season to see how he adjusts. I get the feeling he's going to steal someone's job next season, I'm just not sure who.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Thanks for keeping us informed. Really anxious to get him over to NA next season to see how he adjusts. I get the feeling he's going to steal someone's job next season, I'm just not sure who.

Hey Toivonen was above 90% in Liiga mid 30's before he went 2nd World War and after War he went NHL and he sucked so badly. Saros have been Toskala vol 2.0 in AHL. So Hude will suck too.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Ville Husso played tonight, his 100th regular season game in FEL.
HIFK beat Oulun Kärpät 5-1 and, Husso saved 26 times and his SV % was 96,3.

After tonight's game Husso's stats are next.
18 games 11 wins 4 draws 3 losses 468 saves 34 goals 1 shutout GAA 1,87 SV% 93,23.

Once again if Husso could, keep this level entire season.
There's no reason why, he shouldn't sign 3 yrs entry level rookie contract with St Louis blues.

Of course Husso isn't immediately, ready and mature to play in NHL.
but if possible, can play for loan in HIFK.

It'll burn one season, his ELC contract but that is low prize to pay.
How's other St Louis Blues, goalie prospects like Binnington, Opilka and Copley.
Can they be better than Husso.

And does St Louis, has any chances to keep at least two of them.
Or are they going, to get traded etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->