News Article: Vigneault: Rangers aren’t done with ‘unfairly criticized’ Girardi

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Are you kidding me????? This will be the death knell to AV's job in NY.

Brett Cyrgalis, New York Post:
So that idea that Dan Girardi was just going to be put out to pasture, well, consider it squashed.

Because the Rangers perennial warrior on the back end for almost a decade was fully endorsed by coach Alain Vigneault on Sunday, as his team had off while they prepared for Game 3 of their first-round playoff series against the Penguins on Tuesday night at the Garden, tied at one game apiece.

Girardi missed the heartening 4-2 win in Game 2 on Saturday afternoon in Pittsburgh with what Vigneault described as a “whole thing” injury. Yet after a difficult night in the 5-2 loss in Game 1 on Wednesday — the first game Girardi had played after missing the final two of the regular season with an upper-body injury — the coach thought his alternate captain and former stalwart right-side shutdown man was “unfairly criticized.”

More...

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I don't know, call me crazy but it sounds as if AV wants to give this series to the Penguins in service to his native Canada. What a friggin clueless fool this coach is if he uses DG again after game one.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
"As Vigneault stated, the Rangers hoped they could keep him healthy by not allowing him to play through so many injuries. So Girardi got in 74 regular-season games"

Well that great idea didn't quite pan out now did it? Same went for "Giving Boyler a breather".

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
Cant wait until this guy is gone. Yesterdays performance should tell you the pairings should stay as is until mac is ready

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I don't know, call me crazy but it sounds as if AV wants to give this series to the Penguins in service to his native Canada. What a friggin clueless fool this coach is if he uses DG again after game one.

I dont know what this means. I mean, I know its more ridiculous than your average AV conspiracy theory, but I still dont really get it.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
But if he’s ready to go and doesn’t play, that could rile up some resentment in the locker room. For the coach, it seems a given that when Girardi can play, he will.

This is an important and often overlooked component of the full story here. I'd be the first to pan it if there was a no brainer replacement for Girardi but the truth of the matter is I do not think McIlrath or Diaz are a better option. I do think Girardi's minutes need to be limited/sheltered, however.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Far more than 18 flat-out bad minutes from Girardi.

Im in full agreement that Girardi shouldn't be getting 18 mins against top lines. But if you limit his minutes like McIlrath's, Im not sure of who the better option is. I'd probably lean Girardi based solely on experience.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Im in full agreement that Girardi shouldn't be getting 18 mins against top lines. But if you limit his minutes like McIlrath's, Im not sure of who the better option is. I'd probably lean Girardi based solely on experience.

Considering Girardi is getting 15+ at the least no matter what when he's in the lineup, I'll gladly take the 9 McIlrath gives you while the other guys pick up a stronger work load. The Hawks basically played 2 D pairs last year and it worked out just fine for them.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
And I'm not shocked by any of those quotes. The coach isn't going to toss a well respected guy like Girardi under the bus and he shouldn't. He's going to defend his players. I'll reserve my meltdowns and criticisms until he's back in the lineup playing 20+ minutes.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Considering Girardi is getting 15+ at the least no matter what when he's in the lineup, I'll gladly take the 9 McIlrath gives you while the other guys pick up a stronger work load. The Hawks basically played 2 D pairs last year and it worked out just fine for them.

I agree with you. But Im not outraged Girardi is in the lineup.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
And I'm not shocked by any of those quotes. The coach isn't going to toss a well respected guy like Girardi under the bus and he shouldn't. He's going to defend his players. I'll reserve my meltdowns and criticisms until he's back in the lineup playing 20+ minutes.

Right. I think a lot of people around here would feel pretty good if AV blasted Girardi into retirement while torpedoing the team dynamic in doing so.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
How are people surprised by this? You think AV defended G all season just to toss him to the wolves once the playoffs start?

The minute G is good to go he'll be right back in the lineup playing big minutes.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is an important and often overlooked component of the full story here. I'd be the first to pan it if there was a no brainer replacement for Girardi but the truth of the matter is I do not think McIlrath or Diaz are a better option. I do think Girardi's minutes need to be limited/sheltered, however.
One needs to address this with all cards down on the table. McILrath's play has not been worse than Girardi's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad