VIDEO: The NHL 100 official documentary

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Awesome. Thanks Fenway... I'll be sure to watch that later on when I have time. :thumbu:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Awesome. Thanks Fenway... I'll be sure to watch that later on when I have time. :thumbu:

Overall it was a very good documentary. I would have cut things differently especially in the founders segment but certainly New York was the market that was coveted.

I still think the piece Olbermann did on ESPN a few years ago captured the history of the NHL perfectly in 6 minutes.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ :laugh: ya, thats well done..... still hafta watch the show you linked us up to in the 1st post.....

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
.... watched Part 1... and really very well done indeed. Some wonderful old footage, and surprisingly, former Prime Minister of Canada Stephen Harper talking about the early amateur & professional game, the NHA/NHL & so on. Wasnt expecting that & good for him... basically 1917/42, including all kinds of great footage, interview's,,, Milt Schmidt who's love & enthusiasm for the game is absolutely palpable, alive & well.

.... and... part 2..... 42/43~67..... again they hit all the right notes.... great early black & white and later color footage and still shots, Roch Carriers "The Sweater", The Rocket, The Riot etc... Toronto, Detroit, Montreal & the Toronto/Montreal dynastys into the 60's. Interviews with Harper again, Bobby Hull, Ted Lindsay & Red Kelly, Brian Conacher & Dave Keon etc. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
.... watched Part 1... and really very well done indeed. Some wonderful old footage, and surprisingly, former Prime Minister of Canada Stephen Harper talking about the early amateur & professional game, the NHA/NHL & so on. Wasnt expecting that & good for him, knows his stuff when it comes to the early growth & development of the game, leagues, business. Part 1 is basically 1917/46, including all kinds of great footage, interview's including a recent, very much aged Milt Schmidt who's love & enthusiasm for the game is absolutely palpable, alive & well.

Milt was interviewed in October 2016 three months before he left us.

Last year for the home opener the Bruins called Bobby Orr in Florida and asked him to come to the home opener and Bobby at first said he had a prior commitment. The Bruins then said that wanted it to be a surprise but wanted him to wheel Milt out to center ice for the faceoff.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Watched the 2 hour documentary on Sportsnet the other night. Really enjoyed it.

I’m hoping the league releases a 100th Anniversary DVD/Blu-Ray boxset which features the documentary and some classic games/footage.

Reactions: Fenway and Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
... and.... part 3 completed.... very nice indeed. 67 through to the last Oilers Cup with Gretzky, "The Trade"..... Bruins, Flyers, Habs, Isles Dynasties and great balance, equal time to all crammed into a quick 25-30 minutes.

... now... part 4..... annnnnd........ nicely done!..... Lemieux, Jagr... the Red Wings... Colorado, Chicago etc. Late 80's through to this past spring, Pittsburgh's Cup Win.

Well worth the time people, stroll down many a Memory Lane. :thumbu:

Last edited:

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Good stuff, but imo they should have done a documentary series of each era rather than trying to squeeze it all into an hour and a half. Have a 2 hour episode devoted to each 25 year segment of the league for a 4 part series.

Reactions: Habsfan18

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Excellent videos. A little disappointed with the somewhat fast-and-loose handling of hockey's earliest years, but considering the way that era is treated in the new top-100, it's not surprising. The line, at the end of the 4th episode, that 100 years ago "professional hockey was little more than an idea" is pretty silly. Pro hockey had been around for at least ten years prior to the formation of the NHL. The fact that the original Senators didn't even warrant a mention is strange, as well. They even called Hap Day's Maple Leafs the league's "first dynasty", ignoring the fact that the Sens had won four Cups in seven seasons in the 1920s.

Also, given that Ted Lindsay is still alive, it wouldn't be shocking if someone caught a stick for the line: "Howe also played with two other all-time greats: goaltender Terry Sawchuk and defenseman Red Kelly."

Other than that, though, very well done.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Excellent videos. A little disappointed with the somewhat fast-and-loose handling of hockey's earliest years, but considering the way that era is treated in the new top-100, it's not surprising. The line, at the end of the 4th episode, that 100 years ago "professional hockey was little more than an idea" is pretty silly. Pro hockey had been around for at least ten years prior to the formation of the NHL. The fact that the original Senators didn't even warrant a mention is strange, as well. They even called Hap Day's Maple Leafs the league's "first dynasty", ignoring the fact that the Sens had won four Cups in seven seasons in the 1920s.

Also, given that Ted Lindsay is still alive, it wouldn't be shocking if someone caught a stick for the line: "Howe also played with two other all-time greats: goaltender Terry Sawchuk and defenseman Red Kelly."

Other than that, though, very well done.

I agree.I fail to see how professional hockey was "little more than an idea" when the games in the 1920s attracted about as many spectators (10, 000) as many modern NHL games in weak markets.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
People seem to forget what "professional" means. I've seen folks on the international board here unironically refer to the ongoing Olympic hockey tournament as an "amateur event" just because the NHL is not involved. :rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->