[VIDEO] Pavel Bure: His Performance in the 1995 Stanley Cup Playoffs (w/ new footage)

JA

In this video, we revisit Pavel Bure's dominant, albeit short, 1995 Stanley Cup playoff campaign in which he led the Canucks to a seven-game victory against the St. Louis Blues and tried to do the same against the Chicago Blackhawks. He scored 7 goals, 5 assists, 12 points against the St. Louis Blues, and had at least one goal in all but one of those games -- in the game in which he did not score, he had three assists.

Bure had been dominant in the 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs, scoring a total of 16 goals, 31 points during that campaign, which included a streak of 13 goals, 19 points in a twelve-game span. He had proven himself to be an excellent playoff performer since joining the NHL in 1991-92. He continued this pattern until the second round of the 1995 playoffs against the Chicago Blackhawks. In that series, a streak of poor officiating and misfortunes cost the team close games throughout the series. It concluded with Bure being hurt in Game 4 of the Western Conference Semifinals, a sign of things to come for him for the remainder of his career.

Bure can't be shadowed, Craven says: [FINAL Edition]
Pap, Elliott. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 23 May 1995: D.2.

Murray Craven a shadow? He says it isn't so.

The ex-Canuck found himself matched up against Pavel Bure, his former linemate, for much of Sunday's series opening 2-1 Blackhawk victory.

``I watched Mike Sullivan shadow Pavel last year in the Calgary series and it doesn't work,'' said Craven. ``You have to use five guys... You have to think don't turn it over in the neutral zone when he's out there and the one goal they did get was the result of a turnover.

``Low percentage plays against Pavel will kill you. If it's going to be low percentage, take the defensive side of it.''

The Russian Rocket has been in dynamic form during the playoffs and has points -- seven goals, six assists -- in all eight Vancouver games.

Bure says he's going to play for Canucks as long as they want him: [FINAL C Edition]
MacINTYRE, IAIN. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 20 May 1995: H.1.

``He's been a big key to our success,'' linemate Geoff Courtnall said. ``Pavel makes the difference between winning and losing in a lot of games. When he's on, everyone jumps on board and follows. He's been great in the playoffs. I think he and Russ have really sparked us.''

Speedbug Russ Courtnall and Bure have been explosive shorthanded. St. Louis' coach Mike Keenan said Canuck penalty-killers made the difference in the series.

The Canucks are only the second team in playoff history to have six shorthanded goals in one series. Vancouver's power-play also was effective, going 11 for 43.

``You have to understand each other well,'' Bure said of his penalty-killing partnership with Russ Courtnall. ``We talk a lot about what we should do. We don't just play one side or the other; sometimes we switch.''

Bure's reputation in the postseason has always been rather understated. For further reference, here is footage from his 1994 NHL playoff campaign:

Hockey heat takes over among eager Canucks fans: [MET Edition]
Boyd, Denny. Toronto Star [Toronto, Ont] 24 May 1994: A17.

The 1982 Canucks, like the sleeker '94 model, featured a Protestant work ethic, a Praetorian guard of efficient defencemen and inspired goal-tending. The difference between the two is that the '82 Canucks didn't have a superstar. They didn't have a Pavel Bure.

But I think it is beyond arguing that Bure is the most extraordinary professional athlete Vancouver has ever had on hire. I can think of only Willie Fleming, in the B.C. Lions best days of the '60s, who was so clearly above all his contemporaries.

Last Friday, with the series tied, I was asked to debate the merits of the two teams with a Toronto sports broadcaster on Canada Live, a mid-day CBC network television program. About the only contribution I made was to advise the audience of housewives and layabouts to watch Bure. I said, "He'll show you moves you have never seen before. I've never seen anything like him, but what do I know? I've only been watching hockey since 1950."

Canucks have been flying since harnessing Bure's ROCKET POWER: [Final Edition]
Duhatschek, Eric. Calgary Herald [Calgary, Alta] 04 June 1994: E1.

Everybody knows a Pavel Bure story in these parts and the one Brian Burke tells begins the day after the Vancouver Canucks finally received National Hockey League permission to put the Russian Rocket into the lineup.

Burke is now the NHL's senior vice-president, but in 1991 he was the Canucks' director of hockey operations and an integral part of the process that brought Bure to Vancouver.

Canucks coach Pat Quinn met with Bure for a little pep talk during the Calgary series to make just that point. Sometimes in the playoffs, there just isn't a lot of open ice.

``This was a learning time for him,'' said Quinn. ``Playoff hockey was something he'd never experienced before -- the intense coverage. There's almost an infringement of the rules. When that line is crossed and the officials don't do anything about it, you still have to get your players to play through it.

``All European players have to go through that process -- to learn how to play playoff hockey. Pavel had to persevere.''

This year, Bure became only the eighth player in NHL history to score 60 goals in consecutive seasons. To Burke, that's just the beginning. Bure will disagree, but Burke says he can see him scoring ``upwards of 80 goals. A hundred may not be out of reach.''

``The thing that's fun about him is that he's a nice kid and he sells tickets. There are a lot of great hockey players who've never sold a ticket. People like to watch this kid play. I like to watch him play. If I paid $75 to watch the Rangers play Vancouver, just the one player is enough for the $75.''
Advantage Canucks thanks to rest, Bure: [MET Edition]
McKenzie, Bob. Toronto Star [Toronto, Ont] 31 May 1994: D4.

With all due respect to the surging Vancouver Canucks, last Friday's game between the New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils should have been the Stanley Cup final.

It was the two best teams from the regular season in an incredible seven-game (double-overtime) showdown.

Up front, the Rangers have the edge in experience (all those ex- Oilers) and leadership (Messier) and perhaps in scoring depth. But the Canucks have the best player (Bure) on a big, fast, physical team that has jelled at just the right time and is more rested.

PREDICTION:

Canucks in six

Indeed, even Bob McKenzie stated that Bure was enough of an X-factor to overcome the challenge of defeating the superior overall team and President's Trophy winner in 1994, the New York Rangers. It nearly happened.

Officiating was rather one-sided in the 1995 Canucks-Blackhawks series, meanwhile.

The non-call on Bure's overtime chance in Game 1, the no-goal in Game 2, the no-goals in Game 3, and seven penalties against Vancouver in the first period of Game 4 . . .

In spite of this massive handicap, three of the four games went to OT and the other was a 2-0 victory. In Game 3, Vancouver had two goals waved off and dominated the third period, but Murray Craven's illegal goal counted and the Canucks lost the game in OT.

If the trip on Bure had been called in OT of Game 1, his goal in Game 2 had counted, and one of the Canucks' Game 3 goals had counted (or Craven's had been disallowed), the series would have been far different. Of course, if one of them had happened, the others probably would not have; a 1-0, 1-1, or 2-1 series, however, is far different from a 3-0 series.

The officials robbed the Canucks that year.

Two Game 3 summaries:
WE WUZ ROBBED: Craven in crease for crucial goal: 'Nucks blow OT chances: [Final C Edition]
Keating, Jack. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 26 May 1995: A64.

Craven was clearly in the crease on the tying goal, which came against the run of the play in a period in which the Hawks were outshot 16-4.

"Muzz (Murray Craven) was standing pretty much right against me in the crease," said Canucks goalie Kirk McLean. "You can sit and argue it all night long. It's up to the referee to make the call."

Referee Don Koharski, who disallowed two Canucks' goals earlier in the third period, allowed the goal. Referee Paul Stewart had disallowed a goal by Trevor Linden in a 2-0 loss to the Hawks Tuesday in Chicago. Craven was more in the crease than Linden was, yet another example of inconsistent officiating.

'Hawks have Canucks by throat: Chelios gets winner in OT to give Chicago 3-0 series lead: [FINAL C Edition]
MacINTYRE, IAIN. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 26 May 1995: D.1.

Koharski, who did few favors for the Canucks on a night when power-play chances favored the Blackhawks 8-4
, said he watched Craven closely and the former Canuck set up outside the crease, according to Linden.

``The cameraman right beside me said he had two feet in the crease,'' Russ Courtnall said, his two-goal effort spoiled by the Canucks' second blown lead in three games, both of them won in overtime by the Blackhawks. ``It's a joke. Our team was beating their hockey and beating the officiating.

``We worked hard. We did everything we wanted to do except win the game.''

Canuck coach Rick Ley, whose dislike of Koharski stems from a shouting match when Ley was an assistant in Vancouver, was livid.

``I thought the officiating was a disgrace,'' Ley said. ``Koharski -- we haven't had much success with him. When I see his name at the bottom of the scoresheet, it doesn't make me very happy.

``I know he (Craven) was in there. All you have to do is watch the tape.''

Shots were 34-26 for the Canucks, including 16-4 in a third period that began 1-1.

Referee creases Canucks' chances Contentious call breaks Vancouver's heart
Campbell, Neil A. The Globe and Mail [Toronto, Ont] 27 May 1995: A.17.

This National Hockey League playoff season has been rife with officiating disputes, and now there is the crease controversy.

Pavel Bure of the Canucks scored a goal Tuesday night during Game 2, but referee Paul Stewart disallowed it because teammate Trevor Linden was ruled to have a foot in the crease. Replays showed Craven was clearly in the goal crease when he received Jeremy Roenick's pass and converted the tying goal Thursday.

"It's the same circumstance but it was called in different ways by different guys," Pat Quinn, the Canucks president and general manager, said yesterday.

"It's not as if it's been a totally one-sided series," he said, noting that the Blackhawks have won 2-1 in overtime, 2-0 in regulation time and 3-2 in overtime. "Are we capable of winning four straight? Yes we are. Can we do it? That's the wonderful world of sport."

Works Cited

Boyd, Denny. "Hockey Heat Takes Over among Eager Canucks Fans." Toronto Star: A17. May 24 1994. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

Campbell, Neil A. "Referee Creases Canucks' Chances Contentious Call Breaks Vancouver's Heart." The Globe and MailMay 27 1995. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

Duhatschek, Eric. "Canucks have been Flying since Harnessing Bure's ROCKET POWER." Calgary Herald: E1. Jun 04 1994. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

Keating, Jack. "WE WUZ ROBBED: Craven in Crease for Crucial Goal: 'Nucks Blow OT Chances." The Province: A64. May 26 1995. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

MacINTYRE, IAIN. "Bure Says He's Going to Play for Canucks as Long as they Want Him." The Vancouver SunMay 20 1995. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

MacINTYRE, IAIN. "'Hawks have Canucks by Throat: Chelios Gets Winner in OT to Give Chicago 3-0 Series Lead." The Vancouver SunMay 26 1995. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

McKenzie, Bob. "Advantage Canucks Thanks to Rest, Bure." Toronto Star: D4. May 31 1994. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

Pap, Elliott. "Bure can't be Shadowed, Craven Says." The Vancouver SunMay 23 1995. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

Last edited by a moderator:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It's good to see these clips since I certainly wasn't following the Canucks in 1995. Bure was really dominant for two rounds. (Certainly some sketchy officiating still by the mid-90s, eh?)

It's too bad it all fell apart during the next two seasons. It was one of those things where he was just hitting his prime as the team was falling apart around him.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
It's too bad it all fell apart during the next two seasons. It was one of those things where he was just hitting his prime as the team was falling apart around him.

Pavel Bure and Alexander Mogilny were going to be the Canuck saviours. And boy oh boy how that didn't work out. Then it was on to Messier and well... the rest is history.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Pavel Bure and Alexander Mogilny were going to be the Canuck saviours. And boy oh boy how that didn't work out. Then it was on to Messier and well... the rest is history.
Messier's first two years were dire for Vancouver, but don't kid yourself that that's when the rot started. It started in 1996-97, and peaked in the first half of 1997-98, whether or not Messier had been there.

JA

Injuries (and questionable work ethic from Mogilny) did them both in. It was bad from the start; Bure dislocated his finger at the start of the 1995-96 season, but decided to play through it.

Bure stuck with fickle finger: [Final Edition]
The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 05 Oct 1995: A64.

The mystery of the Russian's fickle finger continued on Wednesday.

It's still uncertain if Pavel Bure's dislocated right index finger will be sufficiently healed to allow him to play in Monday's opener here against Detroit.

The Vancouver Canucks right winger didn't skate on Wednesday, but worked out at GM Place after taking treatment on the damaged digit.

"It's pretty sore, still," said Bure, showing the swollen and bruised finger that was injured in a wild scrum started by Calgary's Ron Stern near the end of Monday's goonfest.

"Hopefully, I'll be all right for Monday."

Canucks medical trainer Mike Burnstein said Bure's finger is being treated with ice, electro stimulation and stints in the hyperbaric chamber.

"There's still lots of swelling," said Burnstein. "We'll have a better idea when he gets back on the ice if he can play (Monday). Until the swelling is down and he gets the range of motion back, he can't play. I'm optimistic, but it's not 100 per cent sure yet."

Bure's injured finger will be taped to the ring finger beside it, and his hockey glove altered to accommodate that. He's expected back on the ice today. Burnstein said he's only seen that type of injury once before -- when he worked for the Hamilton junior team -- and the player returned to action in a few days.

Bure agreed it might be wiser not to drop the gloves next time.

"If somebody punches you, you lose it," he said. "I have to learn to control myself."

Bure's finger still a problem: [FINAL Edition]
Pap, Elliott. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 07 Oct 1995: C.2.

Pavel Bure said Friday his dislocated middle finger has hit a plateau, casting a shadow of doubt on whether he can play in the Vancouver Canucks' home opener Monday against the Detroit Red Wings.

``It feels pretty much the same like yesterday,'' Bure said following practice. ``With all my injuries, it seems to be the same. I jump to here and then I stay, stay, stay the same for a few days. That's what happened with my knee and my ribs.''

Bure continues to prepare as if he will play. He worked on a line with centre Mike Ridley and left wing Russ Courtnall and took a turn on the power play. Needless to say, he would dearly love to suit up for the first league game in General Motors Place.

``If I play, I have to perform well and I can't make any excuses about a sore finger,'' Bure said. ``If I won't be able to play, why should I take a spot from somebody else. I think that would be selfish.''

Then the infamous knee injury (depicted here) put a halt to everything and changed Pavel's career. His 1995-96 season was over on November 9, 1995 against the Chicago Blackhawks.

Mogilny had a 55-goal season with the Canucks that season.

Then, on opening day of the 1996-97 season, Todd Simpson pushed Bure into the end boards at full speed, head first, and inflicted a neck injury upon him that threw him off all year.
Hey critics: Back off with the Bure banter: [Final Edition]
Randorf, Dave. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 21 Mar 1997: A61.

It's been more than two weeks since the Canucks announced that Bure would be out indefinitely with whiplash. Ask anybody in the organization whether or not he'll be back to help his team get into the playoffs and you get a silent shrug, leaving many to believe Bure is done until next season, or the playoffs if the Canucks were to somehow qualify.

Perhaps Bure critics haven't seen the highlight of Todd Simpson pushing the Canucks winger from behind in the season opener? Bure crashed full speed, head first into the end boards. His neck snapped backward and his back curled as his feet carried forward behind him. It's the type of violent collision ICBC uses in its accident- prevention commercials. The only other time I saw anything like it was in a Roadrunner cartoon and even then the Coyote was out four to six weeks.

Remember the goal Bure scored against Boston in the preseason? He dropped it back to his skate, kicked it up, put it home. Many people, including me, felt the Rocket was back. When the goals didn't follow in the regular season, the second guessers did. Through the season Bure calmly answered the daily questions of what's wrong. Rarely, if ever, did he use his knee injury as an excuse. Not once did he mention the neck injury that plagued him from Game 1. The worse the team did, the more compelled he felt to stay in the lineup, feeling the weight of his $5 million US salary.

Bure's injury is physical, but there is some psychological damage as well. It's called self-doubt. Considering all he has to deal with, who can blame him. Bure has heard people wonder whether he's lost the touch, he's been linked to the Russian mafia, he's been reported to have been in a heated argument with X-Files star David Duchovny over a women, and now this. Well this is where it's got to stop.

Bure makes a lot of money, but he's also human. Once considered an aloof superstar, he's adjusted to life in a fishbowl in a foreign country and embraced the responsibilities of being Pavel Bure. For the first time in his six seasons as a Canuck, fans and the media should stop being, if you'll pardon the pun, a pain in the neck.
They never had time to settle down; by the early part of the 1997-98 season, there were rumblings that Mogilny was unhappy. Some minor injuries affected his play, and he also missed considerable time at the start of the season due to a holdout. Some wondered if he would be traded at that time, but he eventually signed a deal with Vancouver.
HAPPY HOLDOUT: Mogilny hangs loose in Malibu: Canucks' free agent forward ` loving life' while awaiting a new contract.: [FINAL Edition]
MacIntyre, Iain. The Vancouver Sun [Vancouver, B.C] 13 Sep 1997: B.1.

Mogilny's agent, Mike Barnett of Los Angeles, was hoping Friday to hear from Canuck general manager Pat Quinn. The two sides hadn't spoken in nearly a week.

Quinn, attending training camp here, refused Friday to meet with the media. He said Wednesday that high-profile restricted free agents like Mogilny conspired months ago to hold out as long as possible in an attempt to further inflate the market.

``I'm not really surprised,'' Mogilny said of the pace of negotiations. ``Vancouver has been known to drag things out for a while. I'm just enjoying it here day by day, seeing what's going to happen.

``It feels a little funny {missing training camp}. But I feel like I made the right decision for my family. And I understand the Canucks; it's all about business.

``I made a decision and I'm standing by it. I always believe in intuition. I believe in myself and believe everything will be resolved sooner or later. In the meantime, I'm loving my life.''

Mogilny said he is doing only light workouts these days. A two-month dryland training regimen, overseen by a personal trainer, ended last week, he said.

Mogilny said the abdominal muscle pull that hampered his play toward the end of last season has long since healed.

He has skated only ``four or five times'' since last season ended, but said he is in shape and would require only a few practice days to be ready for games.

Until then, Mogilny spends blissful days in their rented home by the beach.

``I'm collecting my unemployment cheques,'' he joked. ``And food coupons.

``That's all I do now.''
He held out until November 8, 1997.

Bure had a bounce-back season in 1997-98, but Mogilny was out to lunch.
Mogilny mirrors Canuck miscues: [Final Edition]
Willes, Ed. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 10 Oct 1999: A86.

Contrast the Mogilny of this early season, then, with the fraud of the last two seasons. Granted there may have been extenuating circumstances -- a holdout two years ago, a knee injury last season - - but he also produced 18 and 14 goals in those two seasons which are inconceivable numbers for a player of his gifts.

"I wasn't happy with myself," he says. "I thought I'd been working hard. But I'm not a checker or a banger. If I don't score goals I don't contribute. I was still scoring in the top quarter in the league, but that isn't good enough for me. I've got to score."

Upon Bure's return in 1997-98, Mogilny decided not to care as much about hockey. Bure held out the following season, and then he was gone. Mogilny was out of Vancouver a year later.

There was never a time for things to work between them.

I think the last time we saw the real Pavel Bure was during the 1995 playoffs. He never looked the same after that. Even though he played well in the years after that, he was still just a shadow of what he was and what he could have been at full health.
Works Cited

"Bure Stuck with Fickle Finger." The Province: A64. Oct 05 1995. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

MacIntyre, Iain. "HAPPY HOLDOUT: Mogilny Hangs Loose in Malibu: Canucks' Free Agent Forward ` Loving Life' while Awaiting a New Contract." The Vancouver SunSep 13 1997. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

Pap, Elliott. "Bure's Finger Still a Problem." The Vancouver SunOct 07 1995. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

Randorf, Dave. "Hey Critics: Back Off with the Bure Banter." The Province: A61. Mar 21 1997. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

Willes, Ed. "Mogilny Mirrors Canuck Miscues." The Province: A86. Oct 10 1999. ProQuest. Web. 24 Mar. 2016 .

Last edited by a moderator:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I rarely watched Bure play after about 1995, for a variety of reasons. For those who followed him with Florida, was he still as great as before? His sheer scoring domination of that team (like, the #1 most goal-dominant player on a team in history) and 50-goal seasons in the DPE suggest he was still as great as before.

I think I saw a couple of his games with NYR, near the end. He still scored at a 50-goal pace in the 51 games he played for the Rangers. But I remember thinking he didn't have the same legs anymore.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I rarely watched Bure play after about 1995, for a variety of reasons. For those who followed him with Florida, was he still as great as before? His sheer scoring domination of that team (like, the #1 most goal-dominant player on a team in history) and 50-goal seasons in the DPE suggest he was still as great as before.

I think I saw a couple of his games with NYR, near the end. He still scored at a 50-goal pace in the 51 games he played for the Rangers. But I remember thinking he didn't have the same legs anymore.

The biggest difference was probably that he didn't throw himself into plays with the same kind of youthful exuberance as before, and that he played with a more tentative approach. Same kind of stick skill though, and probably a bit smarter and more cynical. In Florida he was still probably the same level of dangerous around the opponents net, but he wasn't the same 200 feet player.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Watching that video just reminds me of the outside speed Bure had. It was almost unfair to defend. Did anyone use the open ice as good as he did at full speed? The thing with him is that once he was on a breakaway he was gone, it really didn't matter who the defender was. Can anyone post a video of Bure getting caught on a breakaway when he had a clear one?

I think the Bure we saw in 1995 was different than his Florida resurgence in 2000 and 2001. He just seemed to fearless in the Vancouver years. Maybe more opportunistic, I don't know, just throwing that out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad