[VIDEO] Alexis Lafrenière: Three-Game Mini-Scouting Pack (2017-18 QMJHL Season) [SHIFT-BY-SHIFT]

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Note: This project is inspired by some of the work done on HFBoards last season to chronicle the performances of some of the top draft-eligible prospects for that campaign. This is a continuation of that series in the same style and format. Hopefully, by offering an early glimpse of some of this season's top prospects, viewers can follow them throughout their draft season with a better sense of who they are.

ALEXIS LAFRENIÈRE: THREE-GAME MINI-SCOUTING PACK (2017-18 QMJHL SEASON)

Alexis Lafrenière is as highly-touted as any prospect has been over the past couple of seasons. Although he is not eligible until the 2020 NHL Draft, his name is already being made familiar to the keen hockey observers thinking about their team's future. He is also becoming the most-discussed Québécois prospect in recent times and has already been featured in mainstream news circles in Francophone Canada. He currently is in his rookie season with the Rimouski Oceanic of the QMJHL. He was born on October 11, 2001 and is one of the older first-year eligible players for the 2020 NHL Draft. He has started the 2017-18 season as a winger for the Oceanic.

Lafrenière was drafted first-overall in the 2017 QMJHL Draft after being named the Quebec Midget AAA League's 2016 Player of the Year. In 2016-17, he scored 30 goals 53 assists, 83 points in 36 games for the St. Eustache Vikings.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juni...rd-alexis-lafreniere-1st-overall-qmjhl-draft/
Oceanic select forward Alexis Lafreniere 1st overall in QMJHL draft
Canadian Press
June 3, 2017, 11:09 PM

SAINT JOHN, N.B. — The Rimouski Oceanic selected forward Alexis Lafreniere first overall on Saturday in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League draft.

The last time Rimouski picked first was in 2003 when they selected Sidney Crosby with the No. 1 pick.

"To be perfectly honest, I expected it a little bit but to hear my name called was a dream come true for me," said Lafreniere. "Crosby is a big name that’s for sure, but I’m not going to worry about that as I try to follow my own path."

Lafrieniere scored 30 goals and 83 points in only 36 games for the St. Eustache Vikings of the Quebec Midget AAA League this season. He was named the 2016 player of the year in the Quebec Midget AAA League.

At 6'0'', 179 lbs, he is already physically able to play in the QMJHL and compete successfully; he is fairly strong along the boards and protects the puck well. He isn't the most dynamic skater; in fact, while his speed is good, he doesn't have elite breakaway speed, nor is he particularly shifty with the puck.

He is, however, extremely smart and his hockey IQ seems very mature for his age. His most impressive skill is his ability not to telegraph his passes at all -- he moves the puck with expert precision and gets it off of his stick very quickly and deceptively. He also understands where to be in order to get to pucks before the opposition can, which has led to him getting to areas along the ice, particularly around the crease, before the opposing defender can check him. His shot isn't all that accurate currently, but he has a quick release.

Lafrenière is a playmaker who will only get better as he grows stronger. He has played mostly alongside Dmitry Zavgorodniy as well as on the powerplay's first unit. Currently, he does not play on the penalty kill, which is to be expected for a player of his age. In 14 games so far this season, he has 7 goals, 10 assists, 17 points and leads the Rimouski Oceanic in scoring. Observers are curious to see the way in which he develops as a prospect in the QMJHL.

This is a player to follow as the 2020 NHL Draft inches closer. Early expectations are high for this player.

This three-game mini-scouting pack features every shift from three of Lafrenière's performances from the first month of the 2017-18 QMJHL season.

The games featured (and corresponding time stamps) are:

(0:15) 2017-10-01: Rimouski Oceanic vs Shawinigan Cataractes
(26:00) 2017-10-15: Rimouski Oceanic vs Quebec Remparts
(47:25) 2017-10-29: Rimouski Oceanic vs Gatineau Olympiques

567e2f98-ebf1-4419-932f-28b7ce87f52a_JDX-2x1_WEB.jpg

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1035406/alexis-lafreniere-lhjmq-midgetaaa-hockey-vikings

Alexis Lafrenière déjà comparé aux plus grands
Il n'a que 15 ans, mais déjà son nom se retrouve parfois dans la même phrase que certains des plus grands joueurs de hockey de l'histoire du Québec.
Un texte d’Antoine Deshaies

À moins d’une immense surprise, Alexis Lafrenière sera choisi au tout premier rang du repêchage de la Ligue de hockey junior majeur du Québec par l’Océanic de Rimouski.

Certains dépisteurs comparent l’attaquant de 6 pieds (1,83 m) à Nathan Mackinnon. D’autres à Jonathan Drouin, pendant que les plus audacieux le situent entre Sidney Crosby et Vincent Lecavalier en matière de talent brut.

« C’est sûr que c’est flatteur d'être comparé à d’aussi bons joueurs, mais j’essaie de rester qui je suis, dit Alexis Lafrenière. Le hockey a toujours été très sérieux pour moi et des comparaisons du genre ne vont rien changer. Tout ce que je veux sur la glace c’est d’aider mon équipe à gagner. »

Les éloges ne semblent pas monter à la tête du jeune attaquant des Vikings de Saint-Eustache. Le jeune homme est discret et n’est pas très expansif lorsqu’on demande de parler de lui. Il préfère s’exprimer sur la glace que devant un micro.

Ses parents Nathalie et Hugo, protecteurs, ne raffolent pas du jeu des comparaisons. « On ne s’attarde pas à ça, affirme Nathalie Bertrand. Alexis c’est Alexis. »

« Je trouve que les comparaisons sont exagérées parce qu’il n’a pas encore donné un seul coup de patin dans le junior majeur et on le compare à des gars de la Ligue nationale, ajoute Hugo Lafrenière. Un jour, il sera peut-être un bon joueur de la LNH, je n’en ai aucune idée. Je lui souhaite, mais bien des choses peuvent arriver d’ici là. »

Alexis Lafrenière n’a pourtant pas toujours porté l’étiquette de surdoué. Il a certes toujours été un bon joueur d’élite, mais ce n’est que l’an passé, au niveau bantam AAA, qu’il s’est détaché de la masse.

« J’ai toujours cru en moi et travaillé fort et ça rapporte aujourd’hui, affirme le joueur par excellence de la Ligue midget AAA en 2016-2017. J’ai toujours eu de bonnes mains et une bonne vision du jeu, mais j’ai grandement amélioré mon coup de patin et ça m’aide beaucoup.

« Avec ma vitesse, je suis plus menaçant quand j’entre en zone adverse. Avant je faisais systématiquement une passe, maintenant je peux contourner les défenseurs. »

Il a marqué 33 buts et obtenu 50 passes en 36 matchs dans le Midget AAA cette saison contre des joueurs parfois deux ans plus vieux que lui.

Seuls Mario Lemieux, Pierre Turgeon et Alexandre Daigle ont eu de meilleures statistiques que lui au même âge. Les trois ont été des premiers choix au total au repêchage de la Ligue nationale.

Le président des Vikings de Saint-Eustache n’a jamais vu un tel talent en 20 ans dans le monde du hockey mineur. « Un joueur avec la vision d’Alexis, c’est très très rare, affirme François Gaudette. Chaque fois qu’Alexis a la rondelle, il trouve le moyen de créer une occasion de marquer pour lui ou pour un coéquipier.

« Souvent, les joueurs exceptionnels vont transporter la rondelle et vont la garder, ajoute-t-il. Alexis n’est pas comme ça. Il joue pour rendre les autres meilleurs autour de lui. Il fait ça depuis des années. »

Alexis Lafrenière already compared to the greatest
He is only 15 years old, but his name is sometimes found in the same sentence as some of the greatest hockey players in Quebec history.
A text by Antoine Deshaies

Unless there is a huge surprise, Alexis Lafrenière will be chosen first overall in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League draft by the Rimouski Océanic.

Some scouts compare the attacker 6 feet (1.83 m) to Nathan Mackinnon. Others to Jonathan Drouin, while the more daring place him between Sidney Crosby and Vincent Lecavalier in matters of raw talent.

"Of course it's flattering to be compared to such good players, but I try to stay who I am," said Alexis Lafrenière. Hockey has always been very serious for me and comparisons of that kind will not change anything. All I want on the ice is to help my team win. "

The praise does not seem to rise to the head of the young striker Vikings Saint-Eustache. The young man is discreet and is not very expansive when asked to talk about him. He prefers to express himself on the ice than in front of a microphone.

His parents Nathalie and Hugo, protectors, do not love the game of comparisons. "We do not dwell on that," says Nathalie Bertrand. Alexis is Alexis. "

"I think the comparisons are exaggerated because he has not kicked the junior major yet and is compared to some National League guys," added Hugo Lafrenière. One day he may be a good NHL player, I have no idea. I wish him, but many things can happen by then. "

Alexis Lafrenière has not always worn the tag gifted. He has always been a good elite player, but it was only last year, at Bantam AAA level, that he broke away from the crowd.

"I've always believed in myself and worked hard and it's worth it today," said Midget AAA MVP 2016-17. I have always had good hands and a good vision of the game, but I have improved my skate a lot and it helps me a lot.

"With my speed, I am more threatening when I enter the opposing zone. Before I always made a pass, now I can get around the defenders. "

He has scored 33 goals and 50 assists in 36 games in the Midget AAA this season against players sometimes two years older than him.

Only Mario Lemieux, Pierre Turgeon and Alexandre Daigle had better statistics than him at the same age. All three were first overall picks in the National League draft.

The president of the St. Eustache Vikings has never seen such talent in 20 years in the world of minor hockey. "A player with Alexis' vision is very, very rare," says François Gaudette. Every time Alexis has the puck, he finds a way to create an opportunity to score for him or for a teammate.

"Often, exceptional players will carry the puck and will keep it," he adds. Alexis is not like that. He plays to make others better around him. He has been doing this for years. "

Last edited:

Crispix56

May 2, 2014
i really this type of video, easy to learn to know a player habbit whitout chek a foul 2h game. thanks you blade for your job.

I see the full video . First, this is easy to see his progression over the 2 week in every video. Definitely a playmaker, creates a lot of chance to his partner but also makes a lot of mistakes, but haved 16 beetween the 1st andthe 2nd game. I'm hoppeful with what a saw, I truly expect 100 pts for him next year.

Also a good view form LD # 14 Charles Edouard D'astous, big and mobile defender with strong 1st passe, he could be draft this year as a 3rd year eligible.

sorry for my english

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->