Player Discussion: Victor Hedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
Birthmark, he’s always had it, but I think it’s less noticeable when he plays.
He's had it since at least his teens. I thought it was less, or basically unnoticeable when he's got the beard.
It adds character... Viking character (or swashbuckling pirate character this weekend);)

OttawaKing

May 24, 2012
Oh, ok thanks. Yeah I just noticed the beard was a little patchy there and whatnot. Was just curious if something happened to him recently that I hadn't heard about. Nothing crazy though I guess. Thanks all!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Meh, Hedman's been pretty inconsistent this year - figures that's the year he's a Norris favorite. He's about 10 points off his total from last year but I thought he was much more involved in the offense last season especially down that hot stretch.

Hedman's defensive game has paralleled the teams level of play this season, he was stellar the start of the season, then became a mess then become inconsistent with every game.

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
SkyO4 making some excellent points. It's going to be close. Working in Heddy's favor is that some voters may feel like it's his turn in the absence of a clear favorite, though I thought he damaged his chances badly with a horrible game against a top team in NV. But, he followed it up with a great game on national tv last night. Like I said, close.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Meh, Hedman's been pretty inconsistent this year - figures that's the year he's a Norris favorite. He's about 10 points off his total from last year but I thought he was much more involved in the offense last season especially down that hot stretch.

Hedman's defensive game has paralleled the teams level of play this season, he was stellar the start of the season, then became a mess then become inconsistent with every game.
I think you're overstating his deficiencies this year. He's had some bad games (and they've kind of happened in a chunk here when the team was doing poorly), but outside of Lidstrom, has there ever been a Dman that looked elite 82 straight games?

I think back to the last game against the Caps where you could tell after the second intermission the Caps just gameplanned away from his side of the ice on zone entries and inside the zone. The guy is an absolute force.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
I think you're overstating his deficiencies this year. He's had some bad games (and they've kind of happened in a chunk here when the team was doing poorly), but outside of Lidstrom, has there ever been a Dman that looked elite 82 straight games?

I think back to the last game against the Caps where you could tell after the second intermission the Caps just gameplanned away from his side of the ice on zone entries and inside the zone. The guy is an absolute force.
This is true, and I love heddy, but every team aims for our right side. Even when hedman’s not on the ice.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I wasn't comparing him to Lidstrom or anyother D-man, but his standards alone I don't think this is his best year. He was a more consistent force all around 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 despite lower point totals, I just think it's funny he's that he's the Norris favorite when this year isn't his best offensive or defensive year.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I agree that this isn't Hedman's best year. I can only think of a handful of games this year, 2-3 or so, where Hedman was forcing me to notice him because he was playing that well (defensively). When he's on, you literally can't help but notice him because he's straight-up shutting his side of the ice down, and making plays that most Dmen can't make. Dominating, basically, and doing it against elite forwards. Haven't seen that much this year, if at all. He also hasn't been great setting up either Stammer or Kuch on the PP. Those passes are usually effortless, and right in the sweet spot. And pinching/keeping the puck from leaving zone? Good grief. All our D, including Hedman have been terrible at it this year.

I hope he wins the Norris because he's still consistently one of the best defensive defensemen in the league. He elevates his play in big games, he's a leader, and when he's on his game he's as good as anyone, and that's been the case for years. Given 1 or 2 recent Norris winners, Hedman's due.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Just to clarify, Hedman's still been really good. I simply wouldn't put this season above one or two others. But playoff Hedman is a howling animal, so maybe it's not a fair comparison yet. In his defense, he was playing with Dotchin most of the year. Makes a difference. And Vasy's been so good all year that I think our whole D corps relaxed a bit too much from about late October onwards.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Headman is a beast. I don't get the hate
I don't think it's hate (certainly not on my end). Hedman's been really good this year. But I've seen him play even better than this. I mean, that's a good thing, right? And for what it's worth, I'd say the same thing about almost anyone on the team, except maybe Vasy and Point.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I don't think it's hate (certainly not on my end). Hedman's been really good this year. But I've seen him play even better than this. I mean, that's a good thing, right? And for what it's worth, I'd say the same thing about almost anyone on the team, except maybe Vasy and Point.
Makes sense. Lets hope for another level come playoffs

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah, I don't see anybody hating on Hedman. He's had his share of bad games, sure. But he's as solid as it gets.

As far as his current season goes he has improved in a lot of stats:

His average TOI has steadily increased with each season:
23:04 ATOI in 2015-16 (+0:23 compared to the previous season)
24:30 ATOI in 2016-17 (+0:86)
25:49 ATOI in 2017-18 (+0:79)

His hits have increased a lot too:
2015-16 78GP 62 hits (0.79 HPG)
2016-17 79GP 93 hits (1.18 HPG)
2017-18 75GP 133 hits (1.77 HPG)

Shots and shot attempts went up, his goal total is even compared to last season but his S% went down:
2015-16 180 SOG, 395 TSA (10 goals, 5.6 S%)
2016-17 166 SOG, 397 TSA (16 goals, 9.6 S%)
2017-18 211 SOG, 433 TSA (16 goals, 7.6 S%)

Total point production (same number of goals, 11 less assists) went down compared to last season though:
2015-16 78GP-10G-37A-47P
2016-17 79GP-16G-56A-72P
2017-18 75GP-16G-45A-61P

I think he has a good shot at the Norris due to the overall success of the team with him as one of the key players on the roster logging more minutes than anybody and playing in every situation (defensive zone starts, offensive zone starts, PP, PK).

His previous trophy voting finishes:
2015-16: Norris (7th)
2016-17: Lady Byng (38th), Hart (14th), Norris (3rd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->