Player Discussion Victor Antipin - Sports.Business-gazetta speculates he is going back to KHL

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
It was a failed experiment because our coach is also a failed experiment. His entire system was a failed experiment and Blowu was the worst experiment of all time.

Antipin was a casualty of our flawed coach. He himself was only a failed experiment because of the coach.

Saying he has no spot next year over Blowu is ridiculous.
Did I ever say Bealieu has a place? They play the opposite sides. Both shouldn't be in the top6 and Antipin clearly doesn't want to stay in the US and be a 7/8D.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Did I ever say Bealieu has a place? They play the opposite sides. Both shouldn't be in the top6 and Antipin clearly doesn't want to stay in the US and be a 7/8D.
Guy shoots left, yet in Russian plays right side, its a lot easier for that to happen over there because of the size of the ice. Having him learn the North American style of ice while having him play the left side could have been what we needed long term but we will never know will we? Just because his preference was the right side doesn't mean he didn't have a spot on this roster. He just needed to adjust as well as the coach.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Guy shoots left, yet in Russian plays right side, its a lot easier for that to happen over there because of the size of the ice. Having him learn the North American style of ice while having him play the left side could have been what we needed long term but we will never know will we? Just because his preference was the right side doesn't mean he didn't have a spot on this roster. He just needed to adjust as well as the coach.
The side of the ice he played on was so insignificant in the grand scheme of the failure. Don’t look into that at all. The issues were what they were, and certainly weren’t due to him playing RD versus LD.

He was brought into the fold to be an immediate help by Murray.

He was brought over to the team by Botts...

...but why?

To play an immediate transition/one way role in new coach Housley’s “uptempo style”?? to slow cook like the rookie he was?? Was he brought to help us or was he brought to be helped and grown by our staff?

There was no plan. There was no reason or rhyme to anything. He’d struggle physically and take penalties or commit an egregious error - after seeing three shifts in two periods - and then would be scratched for a dozen games. Then he’d get in, look good, and by midway through the following game, he was benched and subsequently scratched for another 8 games.

We were WELL out of it very early, relative to the league. He should have been given a regular shift every single game, and frankly, more freedom to take chances and work through the mistakes that come with it. It didn’t change.

It was a brutal mismanagement by all involved.

None of that changes if he plays a different side of the ice.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The side of the ice he played on was so insignificant in the grand scheme of the failure. Don’t look into that at all. The issues were what they were, and certainly weren’t due to him playing RD versus LD.

...but why?

To play an immediate transition/one way role in new coach Housley’s “uptempo style”?? to slow cook like the rookie he was?? Was he brought to help us or was he brought to be helped and grown by our staff?

There was no plan. There was no reason or rhyme to anything. He’d struggle physically and take penalties or commit an egregious error - after seeing three shifts in two periods - and then would be scratched for a dozen games. Then he’d get in, look good, and by midway through the following game, he was benched and subsequently scratched for another 8 games.

We were WELL out of it very early, relative to the league. He should have been given a regular shift every single game, and frankly, more freedom to take chances and work through the mistakes that come with it. It didn’t change.

Hey good thing that was the only questionable roster decision they made all year. And what do we care?? He was just a minor player, that doesn’t matter because Murray screwed Botts....

I’ll let myself out.

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
Whether it was deliberate or not, if questionable personnel decisions cost the Sabres a win or two, which enhanced their chances of getting Dahlin, I’m on board with that. We will never know whether playing Antipin instead of some of those other stiffs would have kept us from finishing last. I choose to view it as (probably) giving up Victor for the best chance to get Rasmus.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

...but why?

Agreed all around.

Is it weird to look at Antipin's situation -- one with a player who needed time to acclimate to the game and the confidence of his coach to be allowed to make mistakes -- and wonder at what they do with Dahlin this fall?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Agreed all around.

Is it weird to look at Antipin's situation -- one with a player who needed time to acclimate to the game and the confidence of his coach to be allowed to make mistakes -- and wonder at what they do with Dahlin this fall?

Don’t. I can’t have that concern in my head for this whole summer. No one deserves to live like that.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
How do you know? Maybe as soon as he got here he realized how much he missed home and the Sabres knew he was going back to Russia after the season? Why bother developing him then?

How do you know that was the case?

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Whether it was deliberate or not, if questionable personnel decisions cost the Sabres a win or two, which enhanced their chances of getting Dahlin, I’m on board with that. We will never know whether playing Antipin instead of some of those other stiffs would have kept us from finishing last. I choose to view it as (probably) giving up Victor for the best chance to get Rasmus.
I'm as happy to have gotten Dahlin as anyone, but let's not forget that Edmonton wasted years of #1 overall picks through incompetent management. It's definitely not worth it in the long run.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Help us old guys out: what conclusions should we draw from that? Other than that he doesn't want the public creeping on his vacation photos and the pics of whatever he had for dinner?

People were likely trolling him.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I think a lot of Sabres fans have forgotten what an NHL level defenceman is supposed to look like.

If you say so. But he looked better than mccabe, beaulieu, falk, tennyson, basically anyone not named risto or scandella, until Nelson came back up halfway thru the year after his successful lobotomy.

I’m not saying he was a star. But if you don’t think he was more competent than half our defensemen from November on, I don’t think our disagreement is based on whether Sabre fans know what an nhl defender looks like.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
The person you quoted asked a question. There wasn't any statement made to make you question them.

"Maybe as soon as he got here he realized how much he missed home and the Sabres knew he was going back to Russia after the season?"

Was what I was referring to...I'm confused as to why that matters though?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->