Player Discussion Victor Antipin - Sports.Business-gazetta speculates he is going back to KHL

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
After getting Dahlin there is no pal;ce for him. We already have Risto, Dahlin, Bogo and Nelson on the right with Borgen probably close too.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Exactly. Way too many, nowhere to fit them all.

Look at the data from the last 10 years -- we only need 6 defensemen per season. What the heck wold we do with any more than that? We already have a seventh guy sitting in the press box twiddling his thumbs.
I believe it's his decision. So unless you gauranteed him a top 6 spot why would he stay?

If you're slotting him in at 6/7 then he probably wants nothing to do with that.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I believe it's his decision. So unless you gauranteed him a top 6 spot why would he stay?

If you're slotting him in at 6/7 then he probably wants nothing to do with that.

Yeah, it was likely his decision. I know you were just trying to put a positive spin, I'm just bustin your chops. It's a little frustrating that he's leaving but not the end of the world.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Since Housley used him on LD, the LD depth is Scandella, our heat zone savior McCabe, Guhle, Beaulieu. If it's an option between Guhle who may not be just ready, Beaulieu who would probably miss the sun if shot at it, and Antipin, Antipin would be possibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: brian_griffin

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
This decision was made when Housley wasn't relieved of his duties. He was not coming back to North America to get scratched 30 times again by Phil.

After getting Dahlin there is no pal;ce for him. We already have Risto, Dahlin, Bogo and Nelson on the right with Borgen probably close too.

**** Zach Bogosian. He better not be on this roster on opening night. Borgen is playing at least one full season in ROC. While Dahlin may play the right side, I'm not sure that's a guarantee given NHL coaches' obsession with defenseman playing the side of their handedness. Casey Nelson is not better than Antipin.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Since Housley used him mostly on LD, the LD depth is Scandella, our heat zone savior McCabe, Guhle, Beaulieu. If it's an option between Guhle who may not be just ready, Beaulieu who would probably miss the sun if shot at it, and Antipin, Antipin would be possibility.

Antipin played predominantly on the right side and on the bottom pair. He did have stints on the left but not as often as he played on the right.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Antipin played predominantly on the right side and on the bottom pair. He did have stints on the left but not as often as he played on the right.

He had plenty of games on LD including where they had McCabe as his partner and covering the RD side.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
This decision was made when Housley wasn't relieved of his duties. He was not coming back to North America to get scratched 30 times again by Phil.

**** Zach Bogosian. He better not be on this roster on opening night. Borgen is playing at least one full season in ROC. While Dahlin may play the right side, I'm not sure that's a guarantee given NHL coaches' obsession with defenseman playing the side of their handedness. Casey Nelson is not better than Antipin.

Agree about Bogo. Disagree with the bolded - whether you base it solely on the totality of last year or if you tried to project this coming season including Antipin in the hypothetical.

There were things I liked about Antipin. There were a lot of times where he was wrongfully out of the lineup. The situation was botched from the getout. But we are talking about a small, one way defenseman who got manhandled in the corners, in front, and failed to score in 40 something games (if that’s what some are into)

Nelson was a pleasant surprise to me. Better for us than Antipin

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe

Bogosian will be on the roster opening night whether you like it or not. Likely we sign someone else too as AHL depth to compete with the Nelsons and Borgens. We already have 4 NHL Dmen if we include Nelson and Bogo), there was never space for Antipin going into next season.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
There's got to be a few local posters that can drive around One Buffalo every day until they see Bogosian crossing the street. He'll go LTIR just from trying to jump out of the way. C'mon, where are the REAL fans?!?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Agree about Bogo. Disagree with the bolded - whether you base it solely on the totality of last year or if you tried to project this coming season including Antipin in the hypothetical.

There were things I liked about Antipin. There were a lot of times where he was wrongfully out of the lineup. The situation was botched from the getout. But we are talking about a small, one way defenseman who got manhandled in the corners, in front, and failed to score in 40 something games (if that’s what some are into)

Nelson was a pleasant surprise to me. Better for us than Antipin

Agree to disagree. Nelson punched above his weight class for the first month of his recall, and steadily regressed threafter. Antipin was better in our end, and, IMO, committed less egregious defensive errors than did Nelson. I'm fine with retaining Nelson to be the 7/8, but we're back to the same problem when he plays: he's going to have to be fed soft minutes on the right side, which are minutes that should be going to Ristolainen. With Antipin, I don't think he needed the same soft minutes that Nelson does.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Bogosian will be on the roster opening night whether you like it or not.

Why? He has a reasonable buyout. Alternatively, we can retain salary if/when we move him. Keeping Bogo around is the definition of insanity. If he remains, I think Botterill will have failed to accomplish one of his primary offseason duties.

Likely we sign someone else too as AHL depth to compete with the Nelsons and Borgens. We already have 4 NHL Dmen if we include Nelson and Bogo), there was never space for Antipin going into next season.

This is simply wrong.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Since Housley used him on LD, the LD depth is Scandella, our heat zone savior McCabe, Guhle, Beaulieu. If it's an option between Guhle who may not be just ready, Beaulieu who would probably miss the sun if shot at it, and Antipin, Antipin would be possibility.
Idk, the sun is 90-something million miles away. He might just hit it :sarcasm:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Not the right timing for this club as they weren't able to handle his development properly. That said, I never saw any glimpses of greatness at the NHL level to make it worth fretting over a marginal NHL defenseman.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He had plenty of games on LD including where they had McCabe as his partner and covering the RD side.

I said he played on the left as well. Just more so on the right. btw most of his time with MCave he was in the right. At the start of the season for Oct/November the were partners quite a bit. Then McCabe eventually took over for Beaulieu in the top 4 by December.

Arguing over which side is somewhat moot anyway since he was never viewed as a serious top 4 option on either side. On the left it was Scandella/Beaulieu to start, then McCabe then Guhle. On the right it was Risto/Tennyson, then Bogo then Nelson. He got a few chances here and there in the top 4 but was never viewed as a long term answer there.

By December Beaulieu and Antipin were no longer viewed as top 4 options outside of an occasional stint there. Both were viewed as bottom pairing depth dmen who were occasionally used in the top 4 and also healthy scratches (Antipin more than Beaulieu but not by much).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I said he played on the left as well. Just more so on the right. btw most of his time with MCave he was in the right. At the start of the season for Oct/November the were partners quite a bit. Then McCabe eventually took over for Beaulieu in the top 4 by December.

Arguing over which side is somewhat moot anyway since he was never viewed as a serious top 4 option on either side. On the left it was Scandella/Beaulieu to start, then McCabe then Guhle. On the right it was Risto/Tennyson, then Bogo then Nelson. He got a few chances here and there in the top 4 but was never viewed as a long term answer there.

By December Beaulieu and Antipin were no longer viewed as top 4 options outside of an occasional stint there. Both were viewed as bottom pairing depth dmen who were occasionally used in the top 4 and also healthy scratches (Antipin more than Beaulieu but not by much).

I'm not arguing over side. My point is that he's a possible depth option.

If he's gone, so be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->