Player Discussion Victor Antipin - Sports.Business-gazetta speculates he is going back to KHL

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Antipin%20Eichel_1493156903338_58853159_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

8. That team’s blue line could really be poached. Another defender, 24-year-old Viktor Antipin (also a lefty), is expected to join Buffalo. If that is the case, the Sabres won a bit of a recruiting battle, with Calgary, Chicago, Columbus and Pittsburgh all poking around.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/14/report-sabres-add-khl-defenseman/

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-whats-delaying-nhls-olympic-decision/

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=47508

Alexei Berezgalov and Viktor Antipin are two KHL FA's, that I have been asked the most about by NHL teams. Both are young lefties.
— Aivis Kalniņš (@A_Kalnins) March 14, 2017

Antipin is more mature guy while Berezgalov has some speed in his game, I believe that both would be great fits for NHL teams looking to add

Both are NHL ready and will bring experience to which ever team they end us siging with. https://t.co/AsbS0iZhp4

Look at Nikita Zaitsev, both guys are in a somewhat same realm. https://t.co/mQcr0z9zcT

Viktor Antipin (D) – Metallurg Magnitogorsk

A defenceman in the mold of a Jared Spurgeon, Viktor Antipin continues to improve and exceed expectations year after year. Antipin is small for someone who plays his position but leaves it all out on the ice.

The left-shot defenceman isn’t afraid to put his body on the line as he consistently displays the willingness to get himself in shooting lanes and block shots. The defender has a deceptive shot for someone of his stature and has previously hit double digits in goals in the KHL.

Antipin played a vital role for the 2015-16 champion Metallurg Magnitogorsk and will be looked upon even more this time around as they gear up to defend their title. Antipin has represented Russia internationally on several occasions and put his talents on display most recently during last year’s World Championships.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
Too bad Murray gave up nothing to get this guy. Another over payment! Sure he could have given up zero, zilch, nada, zip... but no he gives up nothing to get the guy. And we know nothing in life is free!

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Potentially solid move by Murray. Gonna wait for the contract to actually be signed before I celebrate at all, though

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Is it out of the question that he bolsters Rochester?

I mean, obvious you tell the guy he'll have a good shot in Buffalo. But once his name is on paper, I mean.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I doubt he goes to the AHL. My guess is one of the selling points on him signing here was our desperate need for a LHD and TM promised him a spot on the roster.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Is it out of the question that he bolsters Rochester?

I mean, obvious you tell the guy he'll have a good shot in Buffalo. But once his name is on paper, I mean.

If he's in the same ballpark as Zaitsev.....then yeah, it's pretty out of the question. I mean, to get him here I imagine that TM basically has to promise him a spot in the top 6 out of camp. Or at least a promise to NOT demote him.

Can't see him in Rochester....certainly not to start next season.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
If he's as good as Zaitsev he might just be in our top 4 tbh.

He's not as good as Zaitsev, but I think he's like a more robust Thomas Hickey. Great pickup for your team if true. He's the second best D for Magnitka and instrumental to their current playoff run.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
McCabe - Ristolainen
Antipin - Bogo/UFA/Trade
Guhle - Bogo/Franson/UFA/Trade

?

Could be it. Bottom pairing RHD will be there in UFA.

Good thing is it makes sure Guhle doesn't have to go top 4.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Murray hates all Russian players
Murray has overpaid for every acquisition not drafted by the club

Ok you whiners can shut up now.

Worst case he's a solid guy for Rochester.

Best case he makes the team out of camp next year and sticks and does well :dunno:

Affords some prospects to develop more before an NHL push.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If nothing else, I'm happy to see Murray isn't counting on Guhle being in Buffalo next season. If it happens for Guhle, great, but there needs to be contingencies.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
If nothing else, I'm happy to see Murray isn't counting on Guhle being in Buffalo next season. If it happens for Guhle, great, but there needs to be contingencies.

Depends on where we go from here. If you made up the depth chart now and presumed Guhle was an AHL tweener, he'd still probably be on the roster, just splitting that 6/7 spot with Gorges.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Free assets are always nice. If he can play with the Sabres in some fashion it would be a very nice get.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Depends on where we go from here. If you made up the depth chart now and presumed Guhle was an AHL tweener, he'd still probably be on the roster, just splitting that 6/7 spot with Gorges.

If we enter next season with McCabe, Antipin, Guhle, Gorges, and Falk as the top five LHD in the organization, I quit. I hope that Murray is envisioning acquiring another top-4 LHD prior to next season. Followed by Murray throwing Gorges into the river.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Murray hates all Russian players
Murray has overpaid for every acquisition not drafted by the club

Ok you whiners can shut up now.

Worst case he's a solid guy for Rochester.

Best case he makes the team out of camp next year and sticks and does well :dunno:

Affords some prospects to develop more before an NHL push.

He's one of a top KHL defensemen, I doubt he's gonna play in the AHL. He will probably have the KHL clause like Panarin, Zaitsev, Tryamkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad