GDT: VGK @ Wings

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
As of now, is Larkin really the only sure thing we have in terms of a building block for the future? Mantha and AA have been in the dog house virtually all season and while Tyler Bertuzzi looks like another good role player, he's not exactly going to be an elite building block. Pretty disconcerting if that's the reality of this organization.

I believe Larkin is even questionable at this point. Yeah he is trying to learn and seems to have developed some defensive awareness but his shot has gotten worse the last two seasons. I'm still hoping he can be at least a Kadir level 2nd line center, good defense and a bit of a scoring touch. Maybe not a 30G scorer but 25g+ 30A+ player and respectable in his own zone

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
At the start of the season, a game like this and Zetterberg would have been devastated in the post game interview. He's gotten so good at shrugging it off, I feel bad for him.

There were stretches in this game where I actually thought it looked fixed.

He was pretty clearly devastated tonight. He didn't shrug that off.

That is about as angry as I have seen him post-game.

Reactions: DeYarmond Edison

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Given the way a lot of have been pretty unhappy with the organization for going after Mantha publicly at times... It was fascinating that Zetterberg just really didn't hide from dumping on him publicly. It is the same organizational playbook on Mantha surprised to see Z do that.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Why are you guys shocked? Did you seriously think the Mantha benchings were happening in a vacuum? The guy's a prima donna that doesn't want to work hard. He wants to score goals and feel like he's a big stud. Someone else will take care of all the messy hockey - they just need to feed him the puck so he can cash in.

You think it's just Blashill that's frustrated by Mantha's work ethic? I'm sure the rest of the locker room is tolerant of players that have their ups and downs but no one wants to pull anyone else's slack all season long. There comes a point where it's just not acceptable.

And now we've got a locker room cancer! Yay!

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
You guys assume Z is going after Mantha in particular. I don't see it that way.

I see Mantha / AA / Larkin all reaching for pucks. trying to dance around people. AA and Larkin try to skate on a good angle, and sometimes it works well... and sometimes they gget beat clean.

Mantha's turnover was unfortunate.

But Green's change made that play look really really bad.

I was watching Svechnikov today... and jeez he was out of position by like 15 feet on many many plays. that 4th goal, i saw him just standing there in a horrible spot, allowing that guy to just ruin us.

Goal 2 and 4 were so bad.. that is why Z and Abby are upset. But also alot of the young guys (all the good ones) are poking at the puck sometimes. And they are right, they are exposing themselves.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane

I see Mantha / AA / Larkin all reaching for pucks. trying to dance around people. AA and Larkin try to skate on a good angle, and sometimes it works well... and sometimes they gget beat clean.

I was watching Svechnikov today... and jeez he was out of position by like 15 feet on many many plays. that 4th goal, i saw him just standing there in a horrible spot, allowing that guy to just ruin us.

Goal 2 and 4 were so bad.. that is why Z and Abby are upset. But also alot of the young guys (all the good ones) are poking at the puck sometimes. And they are right, they are exposing themselves.

The Mantha turnover on that goal was pretty bad but that's not the one Z is talking about, in my opinion. It's the one where Mantha took a swipe at the puck carrier in his own zone and peeled off to let his guy skate in alone and score the goal.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014

If you seen the post game interview there really is no assuming, it was pretty obvious. There is a reason why he stated 25G and Mantha is the closest to that number

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Goal 4 starts with Dekeyser coughing up the puck. Had control. Had time. Blew it.
If he makes that play, we're golden.

Yeah, Mantha and Green f***ed that second goal, but the truth is, that entire sequence was botched 25 seconds up the ice. That one guy doing spinneramas in the wings' while on the PK. Then the Wings get it and the Knights knock it loose again. The Bertuzzi has it over on the boards and he hesitates. Bad news. Because he lost control. Then the Wings finally gain control and send it to Mantha, but he's not skating in with any speed, and nobody is moving, because this has been a f***ed up powerplay.

And Svech's skating hasn't improved. That's disappointing. He's going to have a hard time doing anything at this level without improving in the skating department.

Mantha's play on goal three was pretty unforgivable. But nobody else was doing a damn thing either.

Z ripping Mantha only makes it more likely that Mantha is traded away with XO and maybe AA.
AA, Bertuzzi, Mantha and XO are a tight group. We'll see how this plays.

But given the lack of talent in this organization, it's counterproductive to rip these guys in the media.

Last edited:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
What do you call a player that's gotten called out to the media by his coach, his captain, and his assistant captain?

A young player in need of a lesson. "Cancer" is a guy we need to trade immediately.

I mean i know i might be splitting hairs over "wording"... but the only time's ive ever heard reporters or hockey people use that term... its in regards to a player that is traded that season as well.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Btw, this team is terrible, but it being terrible should help this team in the future. I don't really care what happens right now. These guys can be mad, it's not their job to look at the future. Z won't be here when this team is good again.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Btw, this team is terrible, but it being terrible should help this team in the future. I don't really care what happens right now. These guys can be mad, it's not their job to look at the future. Z won't be here when this team is good again.

Under 25 players icetime
Larkin 21:36
Mantha 17:41
Bertuzzi 16:25
Frk 13:12
AA - 12:16
Svechnikov 9:09

Gotta make sure Abby, Helm and Glendening get their 15 minutes.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
As much as you may think our vets are garbage Redder.

Abby is still a good player. Signed too long, but for his salary he has produced just fine this year.
Nielsen has also done well.

Helm is a disappointment.
Glendening is our FOW guy. He seems to be overplayed if you don't care for that 4th line role (which few do).

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
oh boy. jeff moss is probably salivating at the thought of his next tmz article about zetterberg. my guess it will be something along the lines of zetterberg forcing blashill to call out the young guys to the media this season

Reactions: ShelbyZ

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Why are you guys shocked? Did you seriously think the Mantha benchings were happening in a vacuum? The guy's a prima donna that doesn't want to work hard. He wants to score goals and feel like he's a big stud. Someone else will take care of all the messy hockey - they just need to feed him the puck so he can cash in.

You think it's just Blashill that's frustrated by Mantha's work ethic? I'm sure the rest of the locker room is tolerant of players that have their ups and downs but no one wants to pull anyone else's slack all season long. There comes a point where it's just not acceptable.

And now we've got a locker room cancer! Yay!
How many games will Green be benched for his lazy uninspired play?

Reactions: jkutswings

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
We seem to keep mentioning all these things Blashill should be doing...

I get the distinct impression he is simply a dog-whistle for all complaints.

If he took our 2009 team to last place... ya he sucks...
but does anyone think we are a playoff team? (i.e. I dont think Blash is a very big factor)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad