GDT: VGK @ Sharks, end of road trip | 7:30 PM

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
How's Theodore been playing? Not getting as many points as I expected.

Not that important. What is important is about game 7 or so he seemed to learn how to play defense first. First games he was in the lineup it was brutal, he'd make some mistake that ended up in a goal almost every night. Then the light went on and he saw to stay in Vegas he had to clean up his own end first and he did. I think it was just a few games before the breakout game against Tampa he had a game where I was impressed with his defensive awareness and then he had that huge game, and he actually was good in his own end in that Tampa game as well. Since then he hasn't fallen back defensively and as promised to him for sure they haven't taken him out of the lineup since he changed his focus. He still has great skill moving the puck and makes some very impressive outlet passes, but he's not trying them every time he gets the puck which has cut down on the turnovers and helped his team win.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Since you are a mod, I give you props on not having the urge to just insta ban those Shark fans. lol.
I'm not petty
(i also can't do that)

But also I understand full well what it's like to be on their end of things. They just patently refuse to acknowledge that the inconsistent reffing cut two ways tonight. I should've never gotten involved.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Was commenting to Ms. BattleBorn (a Sharks fan) that Sharks fans were complaining about the reffing and that there might be a conspiracy.

Her answer?

“I don’t know, those goals looked pretty legit.”

I laughed.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
The reffing is only part of the reason why the Sharks lost.

Maybe Jones should learn how to make some saves.

Maybe the Sharks defense should learn how to play defense.

Yes, goaltending was not great and defense (Burns in particular on the Neal and McNabb goals) could have been tighter; no one is diverting attention away from those glaring holes.

The gripes about officiating are pretty reasonable when you consider how close and back-and-forth that game way. Ward getting crunched awkwardly (clearly unintentional, but still a penalty) and Tierney's phantom trip are two examples of how bad officiating can alter momentum and affect the outcome.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
This is a Conflict-of-interest Bowl man.

tumblr_muiob57ATu1sghvrlo1_500.gif

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Yes, goaltending was not great and defense (Burns in particular on the Neal and McNabb goals) could have been tighter; no one is diverting attention away from those glaring holes.

The gripes about officiating are pretty reasonable when you consider how close and back-and-forth that game way. Ward getting crunched awkwardly (clearly unintentional, but still a penalty) and Tierney's phantom trip are two examples of how bad officiating can alter momentum and affect the outcome.

I am fine with admitting that the reffing was bad, but what angers me is when a couple of Shark fans are stating that the only reason they Knights are 1st in the pacific is because of biased officiating.

Every team in the league gets favored officiating at one point.

Heck i am also a Sens fan who watches Sens games and it feels like they get the short end of the stick every game by the refs.

Refs are just bad, plain and simple. I extremely doubt their is a conspiracy to give the Knights the better chance to win every game.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I am fine with admitting that the reffing was bad, but what angers me is when a couple of Shark fans are stating that the only reason they Knights are 1st in the pacific is because of biased officiating.

Every team in the league gets favored officiating at one point.

Heck i am also a Sens fan who watches Sens games and it feels like they get the short end of the stick every game by the refs.

Refs are just bad, plain and simple. I extremely doubt their is a conspiracy to give the Knights the better chance to win every game.

You probably shouldn't even entertain their claims, thats what I do and it's my home board lol

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Sharks fans and bay area fans in general have more betas than any other fan base. They only talk when their teams are doing well. I didn't see a single Warriors hoodie or t-shirt before they started winning. And niners fans disappeared quickly as soon as they started to lose but watch them come out of the closet if Garrappalo can get them back to the playoffs. SF Giants fans have all disappeared as well. Sharks fans will be gone once the kings or ducks knock them out of the first round.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Sorry, Pirate, but gotta disagree with you there. As a lifelong Dodger fan, I have seen the evolution of the Giants fans from lovable losers to annoying winners and I can say without a doubt, that San Fran fans rival anything Boston or New York fans can throw at you. They still believe in the weird mojo that allowed them to win three titles in five years. Just ask any of them.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Blaming the refs for a loss is weaksauce, pure and simple. Losers mentality.

Saying VGK only wins because of some reffing conspiracy, and then bringing sports gaming into that is ignorant at best and borderline mentally unhinged at worst. I expect to see more of it though as we keep winning, because lots of people are ignorant of how the books work and how they patrol this stuff.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This seems to be their go-to after losses.
I really hadn't noticed. As much as I hate the Sharks I always thought their fanbase was one of the more level headed ones. Last night they were vicious. I didn't even say the game was called fairly. I said the powerplays were even and the Sharks were getting away with calls and I got crucified for it.

TLDR;
s-l300.jpg

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
The Sharks board comments are pretty ridiculous, but I have to admit the Knights got away with quite a few high sticks before getting caught on one that could have ruined the night in the third as it turned into a goal. Some strange no calls too there, but saying the refs are intentionally doing it loses one's credibility.

I think the fanbase is generally nothing like that, its just frustration with the state of the team and management. This was inevitable though, winning all those years brought a Red Wings like dilemma where not enough young talent could come in. Plus a GM that makes maddening decisions at times to rely on veterans at all costs and a coach who is known as a veterans coach. To move forward they will have to probably make wholesale changes, but hard to do when the team is still making the playoffs and still has some really good talent at the top. Problem is after the top 6-7 players on the team its a lot of mediocre players. Other than hitting on some first round picks, they have a lot of guys of Carpenter's level getting NHL minutes.

I've seen Knights get sticks in the face from time to time with no call (not in this game). The fact is that the refs don't see everything.
As an aside, The check on Ward was legal imo. It was proper that no penalty was called. Schmidt DID try to pull up as Ward was turning into an awkward position just as Schmidt was finishing the play, but I don't think that means the hit that did happen was illegal, I think it meant he didn't want to hurt the guyk as evidenced by his reaction afterward.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I really hadn't noticed. As much as I hate the Sharks I always thought their fanbase was one of the more level headed ones. Last night they were vicious. I didn't even say the game was called fairly. I said the powerplays were even and the Sharks were getting away with calls and I got crucified for it.

TLDR;
s-l300.jpg

They went full salt after our overtime win, too, over the goal reversal.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
Having read the Sharks GDT, I've been thinking. Maybe we should give at least some of them a pass.

Pretty sure there are a number of kids posting there. Not immature adults. Well, maybe a few. :laugh: But genuine, bonafide kids. Younger teens maybe. And I remember my frustrations following my favorite teams at that age.

Also, guess it's gotta be frustrating when your team, which has been around for decades, is struggling a bit, and you see a team that hasn't even competed its first season doing so well.

Jeez, I'm feeling awfully magnanimous this morning. :biglaugh:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Having read the Sharks GDT, I've been thinking. Maybe we should give at least some of them a pass.

Pretty sure there are a number of kids posting there. Not immature adults. Well, maybe a few. :laugh: But genuine, bonafide kids. Younger teens maybe. And I remember my frustrations following my favorite teams at that age.

Also, guess it's gotta be frustrating when your team, which has been around for decades, is struggling a bit, and you see a team that hasn't even competed its first season doing so well.

Jeez, I'm feeling awfully magnanimous this morning. :biglaugh:
If someone is -umm I have no respectful words here- enough to think the only reason we're not in the cellar with Arizona is because of ref handouts they get no pass or respect from me.

I know of posters on this site in their teens that are capable of objectivity and respect. Age isn't an excuse that flies around here.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
If someone is -umm I have no respectful words here- enough to think the only reason we're not in the cellar with Arizona is because of ref handouts they get no pass or respect from me.

I know of posters on this site in their teens that are capable of objectivity and respect. Age isn't an excuse that flies around here.
Maybe not an excuse then. But at least a way to understand their baseless hysteria and rage! :biglaugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->