Confirmed with Link: [VGK/MTL] Schlemko to Montreal for a 5th RD pick

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
T2NINhwlHgOSk.gif

not a good trade. Couldn't get a 3rd between listening to offers for Dillon and Schlemko?

Of course, it is Bargain Bin and he has embarrassing pics of all the other GMs with which to blackmail.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Two good young D men traded for basically free. Not a great start IMO.

30 is young?

GMGM must not have seen any interest from an auction point of view in any Sharks players. Although at the deadline IMO you could probably get a 3rd/4th for Ward.

There just isn't room on the roster for Schlemko so he took the best offer he got before teams filled their holes via free agency.

Dmen that are pretty much assuredly going to be on the team at the start -Garrison/Mcnabb/Theo/Engelland. Probably still going to move Emelin and Methot leaving Sbisa/Merril/Schmidt/Stoner to round out the D pending free agency moves.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
30 is young?

GMGM must not have seen any interest from an auction point of view in any Sharks players. Although at the deadline IMO you could probably get a 3rd/4th for Ward.

There just isn't room on the roster for Schlemko so he took the best offer he got before teams filled their holes via free agency.

Dmen that are pretty much assuredly going to be on the team at the start -Garrison/Mcnabb/Theo/Engelland. Probably still going to move Emelin and Methot leaving Sbisa/Merril/Schmidt/Stoner to round out the D pending free agency moves.

After being told for months we were going to be able to corner the market on D, I figured the ransom would be higher. These moves should have been done prior to the draft to capitalize on the control.

If they were done prior to the draft and a 5th is all we could get, I guess that's something. It's just not what I expected.

A 5th rounder two years from now? Eeeesh.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
After being told for months we were going to be able to corner the market on D, I figured the ransom would be higher. These moves should have been done prior to the draft to capitalize on the control.

If they were done prior to the draft and a 5th is all we could get, I guess that's something. It's just not what I expected.

There really isn't much of a market on 3rd pairing D. The market would have been for the guys we ended up cutting deals to pass on. The Dumba/Scandella/DeHaan/etc. top 4 dmen.

Should still be able to get a great deal for Methot as well as Neal/Marchessault/Perron at the deadline if they aren't in the long term plans. Those 4 should bring back a couple 1sts and 2nds.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Gotta think this one was arranged during the auction phase Tuesday.

Otherwise I doubt it's one of the first things they announce Thursday morning.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
There really isn't much of a market on 3rd pairing D. The market would have been for the guys we ended up cutting deals to pass on. The Dumba/Scandella/DeHaan/etc. top 4 dmen.

Should still be able to get a great deal for Methot as well as Neal/Marchessault/Perron at the deadline if they aren't in the long term plans. Those 4 should bring back a couple 1sts and 2nds.

If we could get a 5th rounder in 2019 from Montreal for Schlemko, I'd think we could have gotten something better from the Sharks to take someone else.

It just seems like the bar was really low.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If we could get a 5th rounder in 2019 from Montreal for Schlemko, I'd think we could have gotten something better from the Sharks to take someone else.

It just seems like the bar was really low.

The Sharks may have preferred to lose Schlemko over some of the other exposed players.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The Sharks may have preferred to lose Schlemko over some of the other exposed players.

Understood, but I've got to figure they liked him more than a 5th rounder in 2019. It seems like moving a little further down the Sharks list and snagging a pick better than a 5th two years from now would have been an option.

Then again, I'm not a GM and I'm not on the call. It just seems like a better option than flipping him for what we got. Unless we really wanted him out of the division for some reason.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
The 5th being a couple years out doesn't really bug me. Better to stagger some picks to give yourself maneuverability as far as ELC's and future trades go down the line.

There were few things I wasn't a big fan of last night with regards to GMGM, namely the picks from NJ/CAR/ARZ. I'll be happy if he can get a 3rd/4th for Emelin now, a 2nd for Miller, and a 1st for Methot.

Last edited:

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
They're probably our roster guys the way things are trending.

Yeah have to agree there. Emelin, remember, is a known quantity with Turk, so I suspect that relationship factored in to the decision. He's a guy the coach probably feels like he can rely on, and maybe improve, who knows.

Of course he's gone in FA next year, but whatever. We were never going to get a home run with every team, gotta keep our eyes on the overall haul I think.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Been everywhere, always negative +/-

He could have been good, but the odds were against it. When you are the teams worst D in +/- there is a good chance it has something to do with you also.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
He's worth more than a 5th rounder yeah but I think the reason he only got a 5th rounder is because as someone alluded to earlier...Bargain Bin. Bergevin was probably the only GM willing to offer something for him and Bergevin generally just gets mediocre players to fill out his roster at bargain prices.

And there is already a log-jam on the blue-line if he was here. He's older than other guys like Miller or Schmidt or Merrill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad