Confirmed with Link: VGK gets Tatar for a lot of picks.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
it's like when you're with bae and their ex is outside in the bushes shouting 'don't believe their lies!'

I'm sorry that he's hurt you but he's a changed man. Why can't you just be happy for us?

A guy like that doesn't change. Also i like the Knights. I want them to win. But i have seen 14 years of this guy in Washington while you have only seen a year. He has only made it past the 2nd round once. That was 98 when he acquired Dave Poile's team. You guys should be angry. If McPhee made this move in DC, we would have had his head. My advice is if the Knights don't get past the second round in 5 years, can him.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
This is why I give the scouting staff the credit and not McPhee. I've watched too many years of hockey to know that he can build a good regular season team, but does nothing at the trade deadline. As evidenced today, he didn't upgrade the 3rd line center or add a top 2 dman. The knights didn't need Reaves or Tartar but he added them anyway. Other teams filled holes while GMGM failed to do address the teams two biggest needs. No matter what happens this season it will be considered to be a success so GMGM will get a pass from everyone. But years later, fans will wonder why he didn't go for it by shoring up the two biggest needs on the team.

My favorite GMGM quote after asking if they were going after a defenseman "We like our team".

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
A guy like that doesn't change. Also i like the Knights. I want them to win. But i have seen 14 years of this guy in Washington while you have only seen a year. He has only made it past the 2nd round once. That was 98 when he acquired Dave Poile's team. You guys should be angry. If McPhee made this move in DC, we would have had his head. My advice is if the Knights don't get past the second round in 5 years, can him.

The owner said playoffs in 3, cup in 6. I wonder how much his expectations have changed now that we are playoffs in 1?

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
it's like when you're with bae and their ex is outside in the bushes shouting 'don't believe their lies!'

I'm sorry that he's hurt you but he's a changed man. Why can't you just be happy for us?

Is Tartar an upgrade at 3rd line winger? Yes but not by that much and definitely not worth what was given to Detroit. Grabner would have been a better and cheaper pickup. And if the team can't get Neal and Perron to sign a hometown or even a fair deal then make a trade in the off season. Those picks could certainly get a 2nd line winger better than Tartar. Or maybe Glass and Suzuki are ready to play and keep those picks.

The reality is that guys like Reaves and Tartar aren't moves that puts a team over the top. The team even with it's great record has needs and those weren't filled this week. But if you want to keep believing that GMGM is great then it's ok. You'll understand in the upcoming years what caps fans experienced. Those picks should have gone to get Green from Detroit not Tartar. Or it should have gone to get a better 3C.

One day knights fans will want more than just playoff appearances just like caps fans that felt that a team with their record should seriously contend for titles. Maybe the knights can do it, but it would be despite the lack of addressing weaknesses.

If they fall short this year I'll wonder what they could have done if they got a Brassard or Stastny to play 3C or Green or McDonough to anchor the d.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
The owner said playoffs in 3, cup in 6. I wonder how much his expectations have changed now that we are playoffs in 1?

If you think that you have a team that can win the cup that year, you go for it. A lot can change in a year. Just look at Ottawa. McPhee should have gone for it like the Jets, preds, and lightning did today. The trade section has everyone baffled at why McPhee gave up so much for Tartar. He's not a bad player, but he's not a player that was needed and certainly not worth what was given to Detroit.

Everyone is happy for exceeding expectations, but the window for a cup this season is real and I believe more could have been done to accomplish the ultimate prize in hockey. I'm not angry. Just very disappointed that the knights chances of winning a cup got a lot lower today because other title contenders addressed their needs and we didn't.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Ottawa most likely wanted Glass or Suzuki in any sort of deal, along with picks. Which, while Vegas has in spades (the picks that is), I doubt they really wanted to part with such a massive package for a question mark going forward in EK.

This package seems like a bit of an overpayment. I think realistically a 1st + 3rd or a 1st + 2nd should of gotten it done. However, I dont think we will be looking back saying "an extra third for Tatar was a franchise gutter".

Especially when these picks are going to be late ones.

Chiripa20

May 29, 2017
Henderson, Nevada
As a season ticket holder lucky to have great seats and after watching the vast majority of the VGK games and in fact paying particular attention to #13, we did in fact make a HUGE upgrade on wing with a solid 3 year 20 goal scorer that plays in the dirty areas and is much stronger than pea shooter Leipsic. Also a far more exciting, creative player. We basically gave two second round picks for a proven player signed to another what, two/three years. Smart upgrade at a reasonable fair cost. Another player with something to prove...imagine that! I would make that trade for sure, esp considering adding Reaves earlier and Tatars ability to play both wings well and even though a good second liner, scoring at second line rate on a sub standard team. He can also move up and down our line up far more effectively than 11 minutes a night 1/3 games healthy scratch #13.
Pirate boy....most every fan bases are polarized over GMs.
Plus, I can assure YOU, the average VGK fan has far better grasp of ice hockey than you. It sounds to me like you are actually quite recent to the game and most likely never played reading your ridiculous strands of random logic.
I’d truly love to be a fly on the wall if you were one and one with our GM and he REALLY told you the truths and logic behind his moves. But not worth it.
Many top NHL minds have Jim placed solidly in the top 5 best GMs, not just better than average.

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Man nothing but a bunch of crying going on here. Cheer up you whiners the NHL didn't take any of our points away and yes believe it or not the team is better for the deals made. Tatar is better than Lepisic. Or you all don't want to believe that because you want to hate on the GM?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Man nothing but a bunch of crying going on here. Cheer up you whiners the NHL didn't take any of our points away and yes believe it or not the team is better for the deals made. Tatar is better than Lepisic. Or you all don't want to believe that because you want to hate on the GM?
I don't think any VGK fans really have issues with GMGM. Leipsic's just a good guy, so he'll get some love.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Maybe GMGM just wanted to wake up Haula (and chose the most expensive way to do it).

I am very afraid what losing Leipsig + Eakin(?) would do to this team, not to mention paying a minus player 5,3M$ while others like Marchy are giving us discounts... And why on earth would you have to pay 3 draft picks? Even if he sits in and has a great season, this deal has some severe downsides. Only way this will be great if we can fire up all 4 lines and go for a real cup run.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Maybe GMGM just wanted to wake up Haula (and chose the most expensive way to do it).

I am very afraid what losing Leipsig + Eakin(?) would do to this team, not to mention paying a minus player 5,3M$ while others like Marchy are giving us discounts... And why on earth would you have to pay 3 draft picks? Even if he sits in and has a great season, this deal has some severe downsides. Only way this will be great if we can fire up all 4 lines and go for a real cup run.

How is he a minus player??? Sometimes I wonder about you guys, where do you get this nonsense? And what really boggles the mind is how the Stastny deal was somehow good and this one is bad?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I liked Tatar in Detroit (and I hate the Wings).

I am happy that Vegas has him and signed until the summer of 2021. He was 26 years old at season's start, and in the prime of his career. Bank on 20+ goals, maybe even some career years.

He is a versatile forward who can play most positions in the top-9. Ideally, he'd be a 3rd line winger on a championship team I expect, though he could pivot in a pinch and see a top-6 role at times. He's that utility wrench in the toolbox that could do a lot of different things where needed.

He hustles hard, plays with grit and energy, displays the Knights worth ethic.

Last edited:

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
As a season ticket holder lucky to have great seats and after watching the vast majority of the VGK games and in fact paying particular attention to #13, we did in fact make a HUGE upgrade on wing with a solid 3 year 20 goal scorer that plays in the dirty areas and is much stronger than pea shooter Lepsiec. Also a far more exciting, creative player. We basically gave two second round picks for a proven player signed to another what, two/three years. Smart upgrade at a reasonable fair cost. Another player with something to prove...imagine that! I would make that trade for sure, esp considering adding Reaves earlier and Tartars ability to play both wings well and even though a good second liner, scoring at second line rate on a sub standard team. He can also move up and down our line up far more effectively than 11 minutes a night 1/3 games healthy scratch #13.
Pirate boy....most every fan bases are polarized over GMs.
Plus, I can assure YOU, the average VGK fan has far better grasp of ice hockey than you. It sounds to me like you are actually quite recent to the game and most likely never played reading your ridiculous strands of random logic.
I’d truly love to be a fly on the wall if you were one and one with our GM and he REALLY told you the truths and logic behind his moves. But not worth it.
Many top NHL minds have Jim placed solidly in the top 5 best GMs, not just better than average.

Ive watched hockey since the 80s. And everything I said was right and sadly those players cost the game.

Oct 18, 2006
You'll like Tatar. Plays with passion, can certainly snipe the puck and can be counted on to score 20+ a year. Only downside is his inconsistency, but he's a very solid second line wing who'll give it his all every time he's out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad