Confirmed Signing with Link: [VGK] G Adin Hill signs extension with the Golden Knights (2 years, $4.9M AAV)

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
This one is odd to me....Logan is actually a better goalie and I assume he will be good to go next year...this is to much money but the term is good so it isn't terrible.....

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
This one is odd to me....Logan is actually a better goalie and I assume he will be good to go next year...this is to much money but the term is good so it isn't terrible.....
Hill is getting a "known quantity" premium from Vegas, since the coaches are very familiar with him, his abilities and limitations, and they are not having to teach a new face their system. Also indicates that the Vegas organization sees their window open for only two more years before a rebuild starts. Finally, nobody knows if Thompson can stay healthy, and at any rate they don't want to wear him out as Dallas arguably did with Oettinger down the stretch. So, it's a little pricey in the abstract, but probably makes better sense in the specific circumstances.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
The sin is never over paying short term it is over terming.

This is a smart move by vegas, you can get away from it fairly quickly if things go south.

Yup. Think it works for Hill as well- if he’s the real deal he can reevaluate once the cap is up, stay where you’re comfy until then.

Didn’t T Thomas come outta nowhere? Just sayin, I wouldn’t be shocked if Hill is actually good. He didn’t look lucky in the playoffs.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
Not a big fan of the cap hit, but like a lot of others are saying - it's only to years. Big, calm dude with questionable positioning at times that works well with Cassidy's system. Ok signing but would've liked a 3.5M AAV better

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Oh Vegas, Rabbit hole here you go...

Its "only" 2 years but... he still can be a proverbial one hit wonder and unable to repeat his 22-23 performance.

Logan Thompson is the better goalie of the two. You are correct.

Reactions: Devonator

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
A lot like the Binnington and Murray contracts after they won their cups a portion of this is back pay for backstopping a team to a championship.

Posters might say well why do that when you don't have to, but me I have no problem rewarding playoff performance in this manner. Two years isn't a big risk anyway.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I’m sure half ways through the season, should this contract look bad, Bettman and the NHL will issue a decision that there was a clerical issue with Hill’s contract and therefore not binding… immediately nullified.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
just over 5.5 mill cap hit for 2 years for VGK's goalie duo.... they can afford to give Hill 4.9 when Thompson is making 766,667 for 2 more years

No issue here at all

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Even as a playoff mirage or whatever, he earned the money. It's 2 years, easy to get rid of if needed. Good to see him get a bag.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
When you look at the money and term, it was really Vegas deciding to keep Hill over Smith rather than them choosing Barbashev over Smith.

Vegas probably thinks Dorofeyev is ready to give them Smith’s production at a fraction of the price. Perhaps they are right? When you look at the limited tape he put up this year, he did take it to the net and get gritty goals.

Victorias

May 1, 2022
Nice reward. He played with ice in his veins. People will always remember the one stuck save but where he was fantastic, was when there was pressure and mayhem in his crease. Never panicked.

We all know playing goalie for Cassidy is much easier than anywhere else. That said, he outplayed all 3 opposing goaltenders he faced in the playoffs. Including Bob and Oettinger.

History will view him much like it views Chris Osgood and Ken Dryden. That’s ok though. He won a Stanley Cup and nobody can ever take that away from him. So bravo to him. He deserves the 2 years and the nice raise.
Ken Dryden?? The guy who was first team all star 5 times?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I'm guessing Hill will get most of the starts next year? Feel bad for Thompson, he was having a solid year last year and made the All star game. I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for a trade by the 40 game mark due to wanting to be a starter.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm guessing Hill will get most of the starts next year? Feel bad for Thompson, he was having a solid year last year and made the All star game. I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for a trade by the 40 game mark due to wanting to be a starter.

Thompson is still the 1a, but they'll split the starts in October, I would imagine.

They did that last year to ease LT into his first year, and Hill did well but eventually got less and less starts.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Looking at what Korpisalo signed for, Raanta, so on, was any team going to give Hill that much money per year?

If Hill is really that valuable now, would Vegas have been better served by pairing a cheaper option with Thompson?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00