Confirmed Trade: [VGK/DET] Tomas Tatar for 2018 1st round, 2019 2nd round, 2021 3rd round

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I am ok with that as long as come draft time, Holland & Blashill are nowhere near this team anymore.

The key for Detroit is getting more picks beyond the 40th selection.

Since 1998 (20 years)

Top 40 pick NHL regular players:
Kronwall
Smith
Kindl
Sheahan
Jurco
Mantha
Larkin
Kopecky

40+ Picks:
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Hudler
Fleichman
Filpulla
Ericsson
Howard
Quincey
Franzen
Abdelkader
Helm
Mattias
Nyquist
Tatar
Mrazek
Jarnkrok
Ouellet
Athanisiou
Janmark

Absolutely ridiculous the value Detroit gets from the draft.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
You can't rely on 1 draft, that'a really big risk in a cap world.

Team on it's 1st year shouldn't be in all in mode, to hell with the future.
Still don't get this for Vegas, this is their 1st season, they've had 1 draft and now traded away 3 picks, giving them 1 pick in the 1sr 3 rounds this year( a 2nd).

They have very few players locked up on longterm deals, feems like a rushed move.

They're not. They included the 3rd this year (currently 92nd OA)to get young pf Tuch. They also obtained Vancouver's 4th (currently 97th OA)from Pittsburgh a few days ago. So they're still picking twice in the first 100 selections.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This might be the best Vegas team ever has. They are smart to go for it now.

Agree theoretically, but look at how the San Jose Sharks, Tampa Bay Lightning and Florida Panthers all had early expansion success but crashed quickly too. In some cases because a contending foundation was not laid properly. Oh well, not my business, just enjoying the ride.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Agree theoretically, but look at how the San Jose Sharks, Tampa Bay Lightning and Florida Panthers all had early expansion success but crashed quickly too. In some cases because a contending foundation was not laid properly. Oh well, not my business, just enjoying the ride.

You can't really compare Vegas to any of those teams though. San Jose won 17 and 11 games their first two seasons and their top scorer was a rookie Pat Fallon with 59 points (Back when ten players hit 100).

Vegas has a great foundation, I don't see how it'll be a problem.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
this trade will be way more appreciated if perron and/or neal walk. they have 3 marquee prospects that they got last year, and some other good young players. I agree they need to keep building the prospect base, however, it's a delicate balance between keeping this team competitive and cashing in on a deep SCF run while they have a great team currently (strike while the iron is hot/bird hand worth more than 2 in a bush etc).. they still have 7 picks this year, 11 the next and 9 the following year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You can't really compare Vegas to any of those teams though. San Jose won 17 and 11 games their first two seasons and their top scorer was a rookie Pat Fallon with 59 points (Back when ten players hit 100).

Vegas has a great foundation, I don't see how it'll be a problem.

I don't mean those years.

San Jose in 1994, 1995 were surprisingly good.

Tampa made the playoffs in 1996.

Florida went to the finals in 1996.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

Since 1998 (20 years)

Kronwall
Smith
Kindl
Sheahan
Jurco
Mantha
Larkin
Kopecky

40+ Picks:
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Hudler
Fleichman
Filpulla
Ericsson
Howard
Quincey
Franzen
Abdelkader
Helm
Mattias
Nyquist
Tatar
Mrazek
Jarnkrok
Ouellet
Athanisiou
Janmark

Minus the Datsyuk and Zetterberg Hakan Andersson special from 20 years ago that's probably one of the most underwhelming lists in the league

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee

Since 1998 (20 years)

Kronwall
Smith
Kindl
Sheahan
Jurco
Mantha
Larkin
Kopecky

40+ Picks:
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Hudler
Fleichman
Filpulla
Ericsson
Howard
Quincey
Franzen
Abdelkader
Helm
Mattias
Nyquist
Tatar
Mrazek
Jarnkrok
Ouellet
Athanisiou
Janmark

The difference now being, the majority (if not all) of the brains behind those moves have been long gone for several years from the franchise....Bowman, Yzerman, Nill, & McDonnell.

You've seen the level of competence from Holland by his actions, drafting, & moves since they all left, which infers those people made Holland look a hell of a lot better than he probably truly is.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Vegas will most likely win their division so their 1st will be like 25 overall at best. He's signed for 3 more years and fairly young. I imagine Vegas won't be able to keep all their UFAs so longterm/shortterm I see sense in this move.

Reactions: mundyc3

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The difference now being, the majority (if not all) of the brains behind those moves have been long gone for several years from the franchise....Bowman, Yzerman, Nill, & McDonnell.

You've seen the level of competence from Holland by his actions, drafting, & moves since they all left, which infers those people made Holland look a hell of a lot better than he probably truly is.
This was just a terrible terrible terrible addition to your post.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

It was a joke

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
problem is the vegas 1st rounder will be like 30th. and how many good players come out that high? if this was a top 15 pick maybe I'd think its an overpayment but now vegas has 3 solid lines on a pick they didn't need anyways
It can only be the 30th if they lose the Cups Finals.

With the standings as they are now, that pick would be 29th (if Tampa gets to the Finals) or 28th (if Tampa does not get to the Finals) if they lose in the Conference Finals.

If they don't get to the Conference Finals, the pick would be 27th (if Tampa gets to the Conference Finals) or 26th (if Tampa does not get to the Final Four .

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I can't remember how the pick order works. Do the first two rounds effect pick order or is it just the Conference Finals and Finals where playoffs matter?
Just in case no one has replied yet:

31st: Cup Winner
30th: Cup finalist
29th-28th: Conference finalists by order of points
(27th-26th-25th-24th): Any Conference winner(s) by order of points if they did not get to the Final Four.
(23rd to 16th): All other teams by order of points.

Edit: Correction for 29th-28th: If one of the Conference losers won its division and the other did not, the division winner would pick 29th even if it has less points than the other, non-division winner, Conference loser.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thrive

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Idk tatar. But i do know that if hes a solid nhl player who puts 20+goals a year then he's what you hope to get once a year from one of your 1st 3 picks if they're late in the round. The value sounds like it's fairly spot on.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
A lot of his actions post exodus of that event, appear to lean towards the contrary, but if that's how you feel, more power to you.
He was GM during those picks, you can't say he wasn't a brain behind the picks.

You can complain about the actions and everything, but statements like that are just seen as hyperbole nonsense.

1 top 20 pick between LaPointe and Mantha. Their top 40 pick production is trash due to success, not failure.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Maybe I am out of touch when it comes to value, but a late 1st, a 2nd two drafts away, and a 3rd FOUR DRAFTS AWAY seems like fair value for a top 6 winger with term.

What do Vegas get for Tatar 2-3 years from now if they trade him with 1 or 2 years left on his contract? They at least recoup that 2nd and 3rd. Not that they intend to do that from the get go, but the option will always be open to recoup some of what they gave up given Tatar is not a rental.

The fact that the 2nd is so far into the future is key here. By then, Vegas' prospect pool should be well established. How much does a pick being four drafts away affect that picks value?

Reactions: MordredGK

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Vegas has a nice foundation and a good team already. As long as they continue to manage it like they have they should be a good team for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->