Confirmed Trade: [VGK/DET] Tomas Tatar for 2018 1st round, 2019 2nd round, 2021 3rd round

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Maybe I am out of touch when it comes to value, but a late 1st, a 2nd two drafts away, and a 3rd FOUR DRAFTS AWAY seems like fair value for a top 6 winger with term.

What do Vegas get for Tatar 2-3 years from now if they trade him with 1 or 2 years left on his contract? They at least recoup that 2nd and 3rd. Not that they intend to do that from the get go, but the option will always be open to recoup some of what they gave up given Tatar is not a rental.

The fact that the 2nd is so far into the future is key here. By then, Vegas' prospect pool should be well established. How much does a pick being four drafts away affect that picks value?

Nah, 2nd next year is a clever thing, chances are Vegas won't be as good. 3rd in many years away is also good - you likely won't get an NHL ready player from it so it's irrelevant when you have it - it's just that most GMs don't plan that far ahead because they don't expect to work that long. Holland doesn't worry for his position anymore so he can afford these types of deals.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
A lot of his actions post exodus of that event, appear to lean towards the contrary, but if that's how you feel, more power to you.

Larkin, Martha, Hronek, Rasmussen, Bertuzzi look good

Jury is out on Cholo, Svechnikov, Smith and rest of draftees.

All of those were after all the guys you listed were gone.

People want to ***** about Holland’s success and give credit to all the other guys who were here. That ignores the fact that Jim Nill was a big time scout/assistant GM when the Wings were tanking 1st and 2nd round picks for a decade. Hell. The reason they’re bad now is Nill and Co were ****ing abysmal at drafting and they kept dealing high picks to land rentals and veterans when they were Cup favorites

varano

Jun 27, 2013
You guys paid for Plekanec ? I agree.

The trade is far from being terrible.
Heck the 3rd rnd pick is in 2021, players from that year just stopped wearing diapers for ****s sake.
No , The trade that is in this thread title is terrible.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Nah, 2nd next year is a clever thing, chances are Vegas won't be as good. 3rd in many years away is also good - you likely won't get an NHL ready player from it so it's irrelevant when you have it - it's just that most GMs don't plan that far ahead because they don't expect to work that long. Holland doesn't worry for his position anymore so he can afford these types of deals.

the 2nd is from the Blue Jackets, not Vegas' own pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->